Chinese tourist arrested poaching parrotfish

webfact

Chinese tourist arrested poaching parrotfish

The Phuket News

1485324562_1-org.jpg

Chinese national Huang Yongjia, 35, was caught with two baby Parrotfish in a plastic bottle. photo; Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- A Chinese tourist has been arrested for catching baby parrotfish off Racha Yai Island, south of Phuket.

Officials from the Department of Marine and Coastal Resources (DMRC) Phuket office, led by Director Suchat Rattanaruangsri and fellow Phuket DMRC officer Nared Choophueng, arrived at Racha Yai Island at 2pm yesterday (Jan 24) after being notified that a man was catching the fish at Plab Pla Beach.

The man, Chinese national Huang Yongjia, 35, had two baby Parrotfish in a plastic bottle.

Mr Huang was brought back to Phuket and taken to Chalong Police Station, where Lt Sakkarin Sangjaroen charged him with illegally removing marine life from coral reef areas.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/chinese-tourist-arrested-catching-parrotfish-60767.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-01-25

I was buying them from the Rawai beach seafood markets only 2 years ago, apologies for my ignorance on this issue. I now understand their plight and their importance to the eco system.

Question is are they still available at those markets?

37 minutes ago, Oziex1 said:

I was buying them from the Rawai beach seafood markets only 2 years ago, apologies for my ignorance on this issue. I now understand their plight and their importance to the eco system.

Question is are they still available at those markets?

Some are unaware of the law, but even many restaurants know its illegal but some still have them for sale, but just not displayed openly.

The marine resourses dept should be checking out beaches such as Nai harn ,ao sane ,yanui and others for foreigners spearfishing and fishing for these colourful fish  somestimes the hole from spear is bigger than the fish and is a danger to snorkelers close by and depleteing the fish stocks 

Archived