Chinese tourist robbed of gold necklace in midnight attack in Pattaya

webfact

Chinese tourist robbed of gold necklace in midnight attack in Pattaya

2a.jpg

Picture: Pattaya News

PATTAYA: -- A man on a motorcycle disappeared without a trace after he snatched a two baht weight gold necklace from a Chinese tourist early Wednesday morning.

Li Wei, 31, said he was with friends and had been out to dinner with friends and was on his way back to his hotel.

A man was parked ahead by the side of the road on a black bike. He was wearing a helmet and a face mask.

When the tourist got near he grabbed the necklace - worth a little over 40,000 baht - and disappeared down a deserted soi. The attack happened in the Soi Na Kleua area of Banglamung.

2a1.jpg

Police attending the incident said that there was no CCTV in the immediate area at all and the assailant had disappeared without a trace despite radio bulletins issued to patrols in the area.

The story was reported by Pattaya News on their Facebook page.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-01-26

Around the world holiday destinations are swamped with CCTV's that not only function but can be used to recognise people. With tourist snatch and grab becoming a popular past-time here the authorities would be wise to invest before the reputation is tarnished further.

26 minutes ago, dcsw53 said:

the authorities would be wise to invest before the reputation is tarnished further.

They've already invested - a nice little earner for some supplier.  Unfortunately the cameras only work selectively.  Snatchers with police connections are invisible on cameras.

I actually witnessed this (well heard the lad scream). It was 11.15 Tuesday night I doubt the police can do anything other than do a report for the victim for his insurance claim. Tour groups should be given general safety advice about wearing jewellry, especially after dark.

23 minutes ago, champers said:

I actually witnessed this (well heard the lad scream). It was 11.15 Tuesday night I doubt the police can do anything other than do a report for the victim for his insurance claim. Tour groups should be given general safety advice about wearing jewellry, especially after dark.

Tour group operators know all about this but just don't tell the customers.

Money, money.....

I have come to believe that a pamphlet should be given to every tourist on arrival

at immigration. It should cover amongst other things, no wearing gold necklaces

while out and about at night, rip tides when swimming at the beach (what to do),

the dangers of lady-boy pick pockets (being swarmed, groped and robbed), the

general poor quality and high price of gem-stones as well as the commissions

paid to touts and a blurb on using common sense while in Thailand. (Which is

rarely common). People have to understand, even if these people are caught if

the money/jewelry has been fenced it is gone. Nobody is flying back to testify at a

trial so most get off. Criminals know this. Tourists go home from vacation and the

case ends. Just a statistic.  

6 minutes ago, Ulic said:

I have come to believe that a pamphlet should be given to every tourist on arrival

while out and about at night, rip tides when swimming at the beach (what to do),

the money/jewelry has been fenced it is gone. Nobody is flying back to testify at a

trial so most get off. Criminals know this. Tourists go home from vacation and the

As I posted when the last Chinese chap got the same.   Big posters at airports saying " If you wear it you share it "

4 hours ago, dcsw53 said:

Around the world holiday destinations are swamped with CCTV's that not only function but can be used to recognise people. With tourist snatch and grab becoming a popular past-time here the authorities would be wise to invest before the reputation is tarnished further.

Yeah, and it would be wise to read the news about the crimes that happens all time time continuosly. Just looks like that doesn´t work in some parts of the world. It´s the same people getting robbed all the time.

Tell me why wealthy Chinese would come to Thailand when so many die and are injured in accidents, as well as robbed regularly?  The wealthy Chinese are international travelers, and want to be seen in more prestigious locations, like it or not.

3 hours ago, Ulic said:

And, all foreigners that die here commit suicide, unless the death is observed in a public place.  What you are stating would be an admission of problems.  No going to happen.  They will just stop coming eventually.

You guys are incredible, <deleted> are you doing in Thailand. In your eyes everything is bad.

Have traveled the world for work 40 years and this thing happens all over. Yes there are a few farang that commit suicide, Thailand is on place 66 in the world. Robberies are done every where and it's not only ladyboy that pickpocket tourists. Every time something happen here it's all this negative reply on these forums and you wonder why people with so much negative thoughts about Thailand still are here? Is it that you can't go home for  any reason? There is cheap ladies and beer in more countries then Thailand. Easier visa rules then Thailand but still a lot of people choose to stay here and complain that everything is soooo bad.

im just wondering if I'm the only one that like Thailand for what it is, yes I complain about the police corruption once in a while but have spent a lot of time here during the 40 year I worked internationally and still enjoy it here.

and strange as it sound always had a visa and travel health insurance when I visit a country.

3 hours ago, Redline said:

And, all foreigners that die here commit suicide, unless the death is observed in a public place.  What you are stating would be an admission of problems.  No going to happen.  They will just stop coming eventually.

Utter rubbish, sorry to say. More tourists are coming all the time, year on year and the biggest group is the Chinese in terms of numbers and spend. More independant travellers now than in groups.

9 hours ago, DGS1244 said:

Will tourist never learn, do what wear gold in public places.

This is idiot thinking.  30,000 baht is probably a days wages for this lad a week  tops.  And you waste your words blaming him.   Oh and for all the posters who posted  " probably insurance fraud" about the first guy who had his necklace stolen.    You wasting valuable earth resources.  Like O2

1 hour ago, harleyclarkey said:

Nighttime....Pitch black....late at night ....alone (left his friends?) and;

A man was parked ahead by the side of the road on a black bike. He was wearing a helmet and a face mask.

Like....his face totally covered.

And he kept on walking? 

Odd or not?

The victim was with his friends. The theif grabbed his chain whilst on his motorcycle and drove off down an alley. NOT an insurance scam. Staff from the massage shop pictured in the 1st post called the police.

I'm talking about the future.  For instance, Cambodia is much safer as far as crime because their laws are enforced with strict punishment.  Also, if the driver is responsible for an accident with tourists in the vehicle, the driver goes straight to jail.  As accommodations get better in the surrounding countries, the Chinese, and others, will not come here.  The Chinese, for how many there are, have an amazing "word of mouth" communication system.  Word spreads quickly, and they tend to listen to each other.  If I am wrong, please give your own information.

23 hours ago, Michael8511 said:

You guys are incredible, <deleted> are you doing in Thailand. In your eyes everything is bad.

Have traveled the world for work 40 years and this thing happens all over. Yes there are a few farang that commit suicide, Thailand is on place 66 in the world. Robberies are done every where and it's not only ladyboy that pickpocket tourists. Every time something happen here it's all this negative reply on these forums and you wonder why people with so much negative thoughts about Thailand still are here? Is it that you can't go home for  any reason? There is cheap ladies and beer in more countries then Thailand. Easier visa rules then Thailand but still a lot of people choose to stay here and complain that everything is soooo bad.

im just wondering if I'm the only one that like Thailand for what it is, yes I complain about the police corruption once in a while but have spent a lot of time here during the 40 year I worked internationally and still enjoy it here.

and strange as it sound always had a visa and travel health insurance when I visit a country.

It's true that it is relatively safe here.  That's why I don't go to many other places to stay.  The 2 issues here that need serious addressing are education of the population, and the lack of law enforcement.  To be honest, my wife and I are going to leave because the roads are not safe, and so congested, we are basically trapped in our neighborhood.  The pollution is bad too.  We will come back in a few years, and see how things go.  They are building a train (pink line) near our house and condo, so surely that will help.  We need to live near her work, by the way, so we can't move around Thailand.

On 26/01/2017 at 11:14 AM, Get Real said:

Yeah, and it would be wise to read the news about the crimes that happens all time time continuosly. Just looks like that doesn´t work in some parts of the world. It´s the same people getting robbed all the time.

Written in Chinese? I wonder if what happens in Thailand gets into their Newspapers.

3 hours ago, Get Real said:

Just tells me how little you know. Young chinese people today, can understand and read english very well. 

And those are the ones that come to Thailand on these package tours, utter rot!

This one needed a translator!

Archived