USA President trump vs. LGBTQ civil rights ... the battle begins

Jingthing

For supporters of LGBTQ civil rights, as trump-Pence now almost totally controls the government and soon the supreme court as well, it will overwhelmingly be lots of LOSING battles.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/11/09/here-is-what-president-trump-means-for-lgbt-rights/

LGBT activists are gearing up for tough battles in years ahead, as the Republicans retain control of Congress and Donald Trump becomes President-elect.

This thread can serve as a place to record the predictable DEGRADATION of LGBTQ civil rights in the USA in a similar way that the long standing marriage equality thread documented the progress that led to that victory over years (but is now under threat).

Another aspect is international. Under Obama (and Hillary Clinton when she was at State) the USA has been a visible global leader for LGBTQ civil rights. Many embassies in hostile to LGBTQ civil rights nations have been active in holding events about these issues and meeting with LGBTQ local leaders and also those persecuted. That visible ADVOCACY goes away 100 percent under trump! Although, it's not clear yet whether this means that bona fide LGBTQ ASYLUM seekers (in nations not on trump'a immigration BAN list) will be cut off (in other words, those that lives are threatened by staying based on that status). 

Maybe President Trump with flip on the issue the way President Obama did.

What rights do you not have now that you want, or what rights do you have now that you think he is going to take away? Did he not say that same-sex marriage was a settled issue?

He did say he wanted to eradicate radical islam, which would likely do a lot more for homosexuals and women than a lot of demonstrations. 

To be clear, I am not a fan of Donald Trump, but I think a lot of the criticism is over the top. He may be a liar and a buffoon, but he's no Hitler.

One of the first things people are looking at is whether or not trump kills the existing Obama executive orders that deal with LGBTQ civil rights issues. He's said before he is going to trash Obama's executive orders in general, but he has not spoken specifically to the orders related to LGBTQ.

His order related to stopping U.S. funding for any NGO that even mentions abortion actually will have an impact on HIV prevention and treatment globally (as many of these NGOS do much more than abortion and rely on U.S. aid for all their services).

As noted on another thread, as soon as trump was inaugurated the link the whitehouse.gov page about LGBTQ civil rights was broken so no content at all there on the topic.

LGBTQ issues not mentioned once in the inauguration speech.

More generally, it is known fact the LGBTQ can be denied housing and employment in most states legally just based on that status. Hillary Clinton was supporting a national legislative bill to deal with that NATIONALLY. Of course, trump and his congress won't touch that, even though polls show a majority of Americans support discrimination protections for such basic things and aren't even aware of the reality in the states.

Marriage equality overturn potential is a matter of supreme court justices. While trump will of course pick right wing judges like Scalia, it would be quite hard to overturn it in SCOTUS so that is not an immediate concern. Of more immediate concern are state laws going after details related to same sex marriage, such as states not recording both names as parents on birth certificates. 

There is a general trend (Pence's politics perfect example) of using "religious rights" as a cover to legalize discrimination against LGBTQ. trump has voiced support for national legislation related to that and there is a lot of action about that at the state levels.

Of course the transgender bathroom issue will continue to be hot at state and local levels. Not sure trump would get involved in that. 

This is just a rough general overview.

As SPECIFIC things continue to happen (they will) that represent trump's role in degrading LGBTQ civil rights, they can be mentioned here.

That's what the thread is for.

Victories as well, if there are any.

Do you think that a single woman that works all day and has a 14 year old daughter should be forced to rent a room to a 24 year old heterosexual man?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Housing discrimination laws do not cover roommate situations. It's about things like apartments and hotels. Please desist with the off topic baiting.

trump promised to overturn all Obama's executive orders.

trump has now said he will retain Obama's executive order about not dealing with government contractors that have anti-gay discrimination policies. 

HOWEVER, it is expected that there will be soon be another executive order about so called "religious liberty" that allows anti-gay discrimination if there are religious beliefs behind that.

I think that will probably mean that retained executive order would be overrruled by the "religious liberty" one in cases when the anti-gay policies are explained as being motivating by religious beliefs.

45's pick for SCOTUS Neil Gorsuch does not have any case record on gay civil rights.

HOWEVER, he does have a strong case record on the "religious liberty" issue.

His right wing rulings on those cases give a strong indication that he would rule against gay civil rights if the reasons given were religious beliefs.

He also has a case record against transgender civil rights (hormones in prison, bathroom issue).

His judicial philosophy is seen as very close to what Scalia's were. Scalia of course was rabidly against marriage equality.

It's reasonable to conclude that Gorsuch, if confirmed, would be a solid vote for either degrading or overturning marriage equality. 

At this point in time, just one pick won't overturn marriage equality or Roe v. Wade. 

trump picks yet another anti-LGBTQ civil rights bigot. 

Trump Taps LGBT Foe Jerry Falwell Jr. to Head Education Task Force

“Jerry Falwell Jr. espouses an extreme anti-LGBTQ and anti-science worldview. He poses a real threat to our community, especially young people who should have a fair opportunity to learn free from discrimination and prejudices. It is deeply troubling that Mr. Trump has surrounded himself with the ‘who’s who’ of homophobic, racist, and xenophobic leaders. 

http://www.advocate.com/politics/2017/2/01/trump-taps-lgbt-foe-jerry-falwell-jr-head-education-task-force

As expected, here it comes.

The ascension of trump as president/dictator is about much more than LGBTQ civil rights not being advanced any more. It's about a radical DEGRADATION of progress already made.

Of course, this will provoke even more resistance protests, but I get it now, trump likes it that way. 

Report: Trump Preparing 'License to Discriminate' Order

http://www.advocate.com/politics/2017/2/01/report-trump-preparing-license-discriminate-order

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, political payback to trump's transphobic right wing base. It's doubtful he feels that himself, but he has political debts to pay. The "not a politician" B.S. can't last much longer now that he is president and started to even admit to himself ... he IS a politician. 

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah, political payback to trump's transphobic right wing base. It's doubtful he feels that himself, but he has political debts to pay.

You think he's not transphobic?

Remember, the Jenna Talackova issue? Trump said, in an interview "I looked at her name, and somebody brought this up to me: 'Jennatal.' Those are the first letters of her name. And it’s “genital.” And I’m saying to myself, “Hmm, that’s strange, could there be an ulterior motive?'”

More at http://fusion.net/story/147144/caitlyn-jenner-asked-to-judge-beauty-pageant-owned-by-noted-transphobe-donald-trump/

7 minutes ago, Oxx said:

You think he's not transphobic?

Remember, the Jenna Talackova issue? Trump said, in an interview "I looked at her name, and somebody brought this up to me: 'Jennatal.' Those are the first letters of her name. And it’s “genital.” And I’m saying to myself, “Hmm, that’s strange, could there be an ulterior motive?'”

More at http://fusion.net/story/147144/caitlyn-jenner-asked-to-judge-beauty-pageant-owned-by-noted-transphobe-donald-trump/

Well, what is in his heart doesn't matter all that much now. For example it is well documented now that Richard Nixon was extremely antisemitic but as president didn't really make discriminatory POLICY based on that. As far as insults and abuse ... he does that to all kinds of people, yes it's disgusting, yes he's disgusting, but tragically this clown is now PRESIDENT.

trump picked a shockingly anti LGBT civil rights Vice President and other similar officials as well, particularly his regressive Attorney General. His base includes a large portion of people with anti LGBT civil rights views. His opposition is largely pro LGBT civil rights. So I think the demographic politics of this "trumps" ideology here which is why I expect more such similar anti LGBT civil rights moves from the trump regime. 

Archived