BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
JGV

Issan Women

What's her name? Maybe we know her:-) Seriously, be careful. Those that don't learn from history may live to repeat it.

Trust me I am being very careful. So much so that it bothers her that I ask so many questions. But if answers not right I am gone. But as I said before I have fallen for her. Thanks for the advice and I am sure I will have many more posts with questions for all of you.

Thanks

Generally I have found a number of people giving sound advice and thanks. Coming off a 12 year marriage that went to the rocks it is not easy to bounce up with bags of confidence like Mai Krap seems to think live is like. So wait until you have a problem.

I will try and focus on a few days away in Issan and maybe expat bars in Pattya for couples but meeting is not so easy here in Sattahip as many are shy and others require an introduction.

Keep advice coming

JGV

Suay you say?

Could this be where the word originated then? suay mak mak (very beautiful)

just a thought, but could explain a lot of things... :o

Think they are one of the minority groups originally from Laos ,My wife is from the Poo-thai group also originally from Laos ,but she certainly doesnt look like poo.

Trust me I am being very careful. So much so that it bothers her that I ask so many questions. But if answers not right I am gone. But as I said before I have fallen for her. Thanks for the advice and I am sure I will have many more posts with questions for all of you.

Thanks

Hi mate and welcome to ThaiVisa, think theres an introduction section somewhere on here try the general room I think? As for the lady in question, I think every persons story will be different. Was my first trip to LOS last summer too, fell for a couple of Isaan ladies and still in touch with them 2 or 3 times a week, and I plan to see them both when I get back out there this May... Cant bloody wait to be honest with you. You cant help but fall for them can you?

There are a lot of scare stories out there (Private Dancer is a good read) and I guess many of them are true, but then theres the happy ones that you dont (as often) hear about. IMO the vast majority of members in this room love the place an the women too

Good luck and hope things work out well for you

There are a lot of scare stories out there (Private Dancer is a good read) and I guess many of them are true, but then theres the happy ones that you dont (as often) hear about. IMO the vast majority of members in this room love the place an the women too

Hi Glenbat

You've got it about right. I get all the inuendo's and piss-taking in the UK,but I believe I am to have a happy future in LOS. Like you my heart is in Thailand, House built,Shop Built,Loving relationship and TWO BLOODY MONTHS TO GO BEFORE I MOVE OVER THERE. I CANNOT WAIT!! :o:D:D

Regards

Dave (body in Surrey) :D:D

Hi Glenbat.

Thanks for the welcome.

I hear what you are saying about each story being different. I knew right away there was something different about this woman from the others I had met.

I started reading Private Dancer after I returned home. Good read and not a good read at the same time, kept thinking about my new lady friend.

I speak to her every couple of days and makes my day to hear her voice. I also am planning on a visit to her village in late May. Can't wait to get back to LOS and see her

Dinger I know exactly what you mean, I've just got off the phone from an hr long call from an Isaan lass who rings me at work bless her, I'm 29 but feel like a sodding 14 year old everytime I speak to her, remember those teenage feelings? No other way to describe them! Silly little things she says, the way she says them

'I miss you very mushhhh fat pig' (private joke by the way)

'sorry to disturrrrb'

and the little darling always finishes off with..... 'Dont eat too mushhhhhhh aww-roight?' :D

Makes my day it really does and i'm already counting down the days til I get back out there.. 15 weeks and 4 days in fact :o:D

I reckon this is the best forum by far for advice and info on Isaan living and relationships etc I really do

Dave i'm not quite as far gone as you mate (wish I was), got a couple of years left here I reckon then i'll be ready and everything sorted so I can make the move to LOS

ps I am available for adoption anyone? :D

Edited by glenbat

Good post.

Old Wanderer >> I have another side of a similar story to yours to tell. A family in a nearby village gained some extra cash from a farang. They built in the downstairs, concreted and tiled the garden... beautiful, everyone thought...

Now they have no breeze where they sit in the evening. They have no little bit of garden to grow their chili and papaya. They are living someone else's dream, not their own...

Na khrap.

It seems everyone wants to close in the down stairs. A few years ago my wifes 90 something yearold grandma needed some remodling so I got the bill, No problem there as I loved the woman dearly. The first thing that was brought up was closing in the down stairs. I put a stop on that before it got started and the reason was it had always been a dirt floor under the house with hammocks and everyone including 20 or more grandkids would just tend to walk right in and hang out with grandma. I knew if they inclosed it that it would no longer be such a welcoming and cool place to hide from the sun and I was worried that the kids would no longer hang around grandma. One family member even said I was being cheep but in the end I got my way since I was paying the bill. In a compremise we built 2 rooms on one side, a small one meter wall on one side with chainlink fence going up to semi enclose and seperate a area for the kitchen. We tiled and left the entire downstairs completely open aside from a bench that runs the length of the floor. I have to admit it worked out quite well and is the favorite place to this day for the whole family to hang out even one year after grandma has left this earth.

I forgot about this. Lady Isaan good. Then I got bored. Now I like Korea lady in America on student visa. I'm already tired of the food tho.

Korean women can be fantastic, Ive been there a few times. But man is that food boring, I told a couple guys I hated Korean food and they thought I was crazy but how in the helll can you compare Kimchi and Tofu with French Indochinese, Vietnamese, and Thai foods. The food around my house is beyond most peoples imagination and puts 5 star restraunts to shame most days. My wife just brought me a fantastic salad, everything garden fresh and toped over with virgen olive oil and imported feta cheese, time to go!

The Esaan look is very boring and common , in fact they are dime a dozen where ever you go - especially in the bar scene , if that is were you go looking for you wife before moving up to Nakon Nowhere with her :D

I am sending this fool a warning for disrespectful comments.

I was going to edit his posts but it may serve us as a reminder of what a bigot's post looks like.

:o

I agree with you, once a bigot always...but at the end of the day it is his insecurities that he sleeps with. Not a person who can love and respect for the who NOT that what!!! loneliness is lie stress it is the silent killer....

who is that person.my girlfriend is issan and she is one of the most beautiful women i've ever known.and i've been over 2/3 s of the world

There have been a number of reports lately about marriages between Issan women and farangs bringing prosperity to parts of Issan and the women becoming farang in their eating habits. Successly relationships they seem to be generally

I am 2 years now seperated and live alone but would like to meet and possibly reside in Issan. Where do you meet prospective wives? The bars are really risky and agencies are just money making machines so it must be personal introduction friend of a friend I guess any advice on this. I don't live in Pattaya but down in Sattahip

Constructive advice only please

John

Ken Bower here. I've been married to my Issan wife for 13 years now. It has been a very unique relationship and the most possitive of my whole 71 yr. life. A rather unique relationship in that

1. We lived for 20 mo. In Chiayaphum, in her childhood home which we modified to our "tastes/needs" and everyone who lived within a block in a half ARE relatives.

2. That I dearly love each and every member of my wife's family as my own.

3. That at NO TIME have any of her relatives asked for one satong/baht

4. That even though we recently took on an apartment in Bangkok, it was only because the rent

was less than what we were spending on hotels for our usual 2 five nite trips to BKK to visit all our

friends that live there full time, and to take care of all doctor's appointments, dentist appointments, picking up my APO (U.S. mail), and being able to see movies (one of my favorite hobbies) in English, and shopping in malls, stores, groceries that actually have everything I crave for that isn't available in Tesco, the ONLY reliable outlet in Chiayaphum.

5. The fact that our mutual agreement B4 we decided to live in retirement full time in Thailand included an agreement that we WOULD split each month between Chiayaphum and Bangkok/Pattaya/and other locations I chose. This agreement "may" be the best necessity to retain sanity in living in Thailand full time. See, it's only IMHO, but I think that living full time in Isaan can lead to any farang's decreasing hold on reality and living full time in Bangkok can waste one's vision of what Thailand is really all about so splitting each month between the two makes my wife very happy in that she gets to spend ample time with ALL her family and spending half of each month in BKK gives me plenty of time to visit/socialize with all our Thai and farang friends here AND to get my fill of movies, shopping, and other activities.

6. I must state that I am a bit odd as a farang in that I am an incillin dependent diabetec, whose had two heart events, and I do NOT smoke or drink, but socialize with many friends who enjoy both, and it's not an issue ever with me.

A while back someone on this forum or perhaps one of the other 58 I belong to, said something that stuck in my mind that I'd like to share here, not so much as a warning, but just as a thought.

This poster had mentioned that 90% of all problems with maintaining long term relationships with Thai women had to do with the farang NOT being condusive to handing out money/favors to all her relatives, or supporting the "family unit". I am not even smart enough to know if I agree with this statement or not because it doesn't apply to me, but IF that is true, then I would agree with what the poster said next.

His advise was first of all, never look at bargirls as longterm companions but always pursue ladies who work as shopkeepers/shopworkers, or those working in malls, restaurants, coffee shops etc. Then pursue finding out which of your favorites have large families in Isaan or whatever area you prefer, and eliminate all those with close ties to their families, pursuing only those who had cut all ties with their families.

According to the poster, and as I can recall, he stated that the "perfect" Thai partner might be an orphan, with NO ties to family at all. He went on to state that what life with a Thai woman boils down to was her needs to be taken care of (which I would guess would be the farang's ability to financially support all her needs) and her being able to provide not only the physical sex he desired, but conversation in HIS language as well as her own. All I can add is that COMMUNICATIONS is the key to long time relationships (and that I am very longwinded...lol)

Ken

There have been a number of reports lately about marriages between Issan women and farangs bringing prosperity to parts of Issan and the women becoming farang in their eating habits. Successly relationships they seem to be generally

I am 2 years now seperated and live alone but would like to meet and possibly reside in Issan. Where do you meet prospective wives? The bars are really risky and agencies are just money making machines so it must be personal introduction friend of a friend I guess any advice on this. I don't live in Pattaya but down in Sattahip

Constructive advice only please

John

I live in the uk with my stunning issan wife and if you want to see a pic of her i will send it to you.

Isaan women tend to be ugly , there are many available Thai women mixed with Chinese blood that are very attractive and unlike Issan women they do not all look alike.

Why not set your goals a little bit higher ?