Video: Aussie pensioner sets fire to his house in Surat after row with his Thai girlfriend

webfact

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, z42 said:

It's frustrating that the story posted seems to completely gloss over the allegation that either the girlfriend (or someone close to her) basically stole 480,000 baht of this guy's money.
I think it is too hard to pre judge this guy too much. Yeah sure he looks a complete fool on the surface, but when you look a little closer it could be that his life savings, or at least a good chunk thereof has been stolen from him. Now there is almost no recourse for him, he is too old to work & earn it back, and actually retrieving the money through the courts I'd guess would be an equally costly, stressful, and arduous venture for a man of his age, and knowing how the justice system operates here, a complete gamble at best.

I don't for a second condone arson or property destruction. But I can feel a degree of sympathy for a man who probably now feels he is at rock bottom. Some of the comments on the video TV had of this incident on their facebook page were disgusting. Kicking a man when he's down is as immoral as it gets imo. Remember, this could very well happen to any of us living here, and while the going is good it is very easy to lose sight of that fact, and be blinded by it.

Yeah, too bad about the fact that this scumbag torched a rental property that doesnt belong to him. Has he got the cash to make good the repairs to the landlord? Sure this could happen to other people but would the other people torch smeone elses investment. Send him back to the penal colony

26 minutes ago, Phuketboy said:

If this is in-fact the same guy, it sounds like this situation is getting real.  For the TVF sluths, who do you think would have done this, the property owner in revenge? The family or friends of the girlfriend to shut him up?  

Propety owner ? Its a 2015 article.. so unless that guy had a premonition highly unlikely. 

42 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

Interesting problem resolution skills... a problem with his wife and so he destroys the landlords bed... and people on this forum say they don't understand "thai logic" - - 

somehow, I can smell alcohol on his breath from here... 

Quite appropriate for Australia Day.  "How do we sleep while our beds are burning?"

2 hours ago, OmegaRacer said:

500k are hardly life savings, when you either need 800k for a "retirement visa" or 400k for a "marriage visa".

I bet there are a huge number of Thai people for which 500K would represent more than they could ever dream of saving over the course of their life. And retiring with that sort of bank balance will sadly be an unattainable dream for the vast majority. 

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Rock bottom or not.. he is hurting a poor property owner that has nothing to do with this. In my book he is a complete tool. Had this been the house of his GF or some of her property sure.. I can get that but hurting a third party that has nothing to do with it makes him a tool. 

His money stolen.. sure that is sad but no reason to hurt an innocent third party. That is the real crime here. 

2 Crimes here.  Either she gives back the money or off to jail.  Should be easy enough to prove, as those ATM (machines ,not the human kind ) have cameras.  He takes some of that money and makes good on Property damage,  a few wais then off to the temple for a few weeks.

"Love" in Thailand as in many foreign countries is just business.  If your woman doesn't meet performance expectations,  she's using you and you can only blame yourself.  Women by nature take advantage of men's weaknesses. Far too many stories like this coming out of Thailand.  Quit dreaming...it's all business to them.

Obviously a retired brain surgeon who is proud of being a walking art gallery. 'Never judge a book by its cover', but how can you do otherwise when you see someone like this? Even when sober, would you get into a casual chat with him? He makes Sir Les Patterson look refined.
[/url]  

Sir Leslie a true legend!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Rock bottom or not.. he is hurting a poor property owner that has nothing to do with this. In my book he is a complete tool. Had this been the house of his GF or some of her property sure.. I can get that but hurting a third party that has nothing to do with it makes him a tool. 

His money stolen.. sure that is sad but no reason to hurt an innocent third party. That is the real crime here. 

Probably just wanted to destroy the bed that her  useless sons were using, so that they might piss off. As for the stolen money, why would'nt he be angry with the thieving Thai bitch.

1 minute ago, davo2003 said:

"Love" in Thailand as in many foreign countries is just business.  If your woman doesn't meet performance expectations,  she's using you and you can only blame yourself.  Women by nature take advantage of men's weaknesses. Far too many stories like this coming out of Thailand.  Quit dreaming...it's all business to them.

Not what I have seen, i seen quite a few Thai girls even taking care of their bf (financially). This happens too, but usually they are in the same age group. Now love is a business if the girl is far more pretty than what a guy normally could get. Look at lottery winners and so on with stunning gf's. Happens in the west too just takes more money. You just have to ask yourself.. am I in the same leage as this girl or not. Does she like me because of me or my money. Its not that hard to find out.. if your using money to get her and she never pays a thing herself and is totally dependent on you.. these are all signs. 

I refuse to accept that all Thai woman are after money. I divorced my ex (still friends) I kept the house and car.. she only wanted the money she put in the relation (and I gave her that and a bit more because she was so considerate). She could have been bad and fleeced me. There certainly is love.. but if your thinking with your c..k and not your brains your easy to fool

Silly old fool. She cleaned him out and he just found out. Come on guys this is Thailand Land of corruption infidelity and dishonest people You just have to careful who you choose as partner I have great partner and she is open about all So there are good ones out there you just have to find them  I will just sing this Aussie song for Australia Day  " Put another log on the fire Whip me up some bacon and beans" Bet that was his favourite song 

3 minutes ago, oldsailor35 said:

Probably just wanted to destroy the bed that her  useless sons were using, so that they might piss off. As for the stolen money, why would'nt he be angry with the thieving Thai bitch.

Yea.. lets burn an innocents house down to get back at the gf. He has a right to be angry.. but not to take it out at an innocent party. I hope they do send him to jail for some time to teach him a lesson. I also hope he gets his money back and if theft is proven the gf goes to jail too.

3 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

If you have to marry one, have a secret account and never disclose your true worth. This guy, a silly old fool, but I really hope that he hasn't lost his life savings. Why the gangster tats? Looks awful, and doesn't really help his case.

...like the blue 'wife beater' and chicken legs.

Calm down lads,this is just a cultural difference.This is how we celebrate Invasion Day aka Australia Day.Seeing he had no wood for the barbie setting fire to an old bed to get some coals is quite acceptable in our culture,seen it done plenty of times.If he was left alone he soon would have had a grill on the coals and some lamb chops and snags sizzling away.He would have invited his neighbours in to share in a tinnie or 3 and all would have been legless by sunset.This is what we do.

4 hours ago, jonclark said:

Wise words indeed. 

In Thailand foreigners (westerners mainly) really love looking down on other westerners, be it behavior, attitude, problems they may encounter or situations they may find themselves in etc. Oddly though you do not find the same attitude within the Indian and Chinese communities for example, which when threatened join ranks to protect their own and have quite good support networks for each other. Which probably explains why these communities thrive in Thailand and the farang community is a fragmented,  transient, narcissistic and on whole quite unsuccessful in Thailand.

You may not realize it but that is a racist comment.Most Indians come from India and most Chinese from China.Where do farangs come from,that mythical Farangland.The only thing that most of us have in common is the colour of our skin.Besides that i have nothing in common with a Englishman,Anerican ,German,ect.

5 hours ago, ezrider62 said:

Sorry, real bummer! banking here does get me a bit nervous, bankers seem not to accountable for mistakes or incompetence. I keep my real bulk of money back home in US.

I do the same, that is why I am on a ME Marriage visa from Savvakhanet, I would not trust a Thai bank with 400.000 left in it.

There is a thing no one is talking about on this subject.

His wife is 50 years old and probably well into Menopause.

It is entirely possible her interest in sex with him is past.

And on the other hand his interest in sex may still be strong.

I don't know that for sure, but it is entirely possible.

Such things do happen as you age.

3 hours ago, robblok said:

That's very true, I wonder though, if insurance companies pay out for deliberate arson.

2 hours ago, geovalin said:

Same Edward Woodward?

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2015/05/21/1432200219/

SURAT THANI — Police say a 64-year-old Australian man was injured in an assassination attempt in Surat Thani province today.

The victim, who has been identified as Edward Woodward, was driving in Surat Thani's city center when he was shot at by an unknown number of gunmen on a motorcycle, according to police. The motorcycle then sped away from the scene. 

Police say Woodward was shot in both arms and is receiving medical attention. 

According to police, the shooting took place shortly after Woodward left his residence in Mueang district.

The incident is under investigation. 

Mmm,that has escalated quite quickly.

I am a couple of years older than this drongo and when the wife's lazy younger brother comes here with ma & pa I feel like an alien in my house and I get out as much as poss. Glad when they go home so he does get some sympathy from me , only issue is , strewth , strike a light yer don't make a barbie out of another blokes furniture . 

Archived