Video: Aussie pensioner sets fire to his house in Surat after row with his Thai girlfriend

webfact

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

That's very true, I wonder though, if insurance companies pay out for deliberate arson.

Landlords insurance does, which is what you get, when renting out a property back home.  (don't know if you can buy that here, though)

45 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

Where is all this coming from? Aleged or fact. Or is it tv posters made up story to shift the blame. Someone post a link to this bizarre story of assassination attempt and being fleeced.

The link to the attempt on his life has been posted. 

Twice. 

Now three. 

http://mobile.dudasite.com/site/chiangraitimes1?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.chiangraitimes.com%2Fthai-teen-confesses-to-assassination-attempt-on-australian-national-edward-woodward.html&utm_referrer=#2917

Just a thought but I have often wondered why people think that those of a different culture would think the same way that they do.

As you were brought up is not as others were brought up.

If you come to another culture then surely you must consider that the folks do not always see the world the same way that you do.

Trying to live like an Australian or American or Brit or whatever in a country that is not the same beggars understanding.

You wouldn't walk around Kings Cross or Soho with a wad of money in your hand so why would you wear a gold chain in Thailand? (rhetorical  question of course)

9 hours ago, Kerryd said:

The "root" of the problem was that she apparently got ahold of his ATM card and emptied almost 500,000 baht from his account.

(And yes, it's not that hard for someone to do as I found out after my dad's girlfriend had been draining his account of 20,000 a day until he died and then, even though I had his bank book, ATM card and passport, was able to get a new bank book and continue draining his account for 2 weeks days after he died and even scooped a small interest payment that came in 6 weeks later ! I was out of the country working and didn't find out until I got back and by then she was long gone of course. When I asked at the bank how it was possible for her to do this all I got was a shrug and "not my problem" kind of look.)

"Juttamas said that her two sons had moved in and there were frequent rows recently as a result. She said that Mr Woodward threatened to kill one of her sons."

Somehow I have a feeling that this 500,000 baht ended up in the pockets of the two sons.....

Just a feeling! Thai men seem to be raised as Meng Da type creatures.

39 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

I can't see one and I ain't going through it all again.

OK . You sit and wait there, I will scroll back and refresh the post , so that you can see it . 

I wont be long, dont go away.....................

5 hours ago, geovalin said:

Same Edward Woodward?

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2015/05/21/1432200219/

SURAT THANI — Police say a 64-year-old Australian man was injured in an assassination attempt in Surat Thani province today.

The victim, who has been identified as Edward Woodward, was driving in Surat Thani's city center when he was shot at by an unknown number of gunmen on a motorcycle, according to police. The motorcycle then sped away from the scene. 

Police say Woodward was shot in both arms and is receiving medical attention. 

According to police, the shooting took place shortly after Woodward left his residence in Mueang district.

The incident is under investigation. 

Just to refersh this for DeepinIssan .

5 minutes ago, farcanell said:

I think you got the posters name wrong.... deepindenial.

but... forth time posted now, I think.... hopefully it helps

Denial about what ? all posted was for a link.  It's people like you who starts the wrong rumours on threads like this. Please feel free to grow up and stop making things up.

Now I've seen the hit  link what about this 480000 bht link.

19 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

Denial about what ? all posted was for a link.  It's people like you who starts the wrong rumours on threads like this. Please feel free to grow up and stop making things up.

Now I've seen the hit  link what about this 480000 bht link.

My comment was that landlords insurance pays out on arson (unless done by landlord himself, of course).

pretty sure that's fact.... no rumor, mistruth, deflection etc etc.... just fact.

much like its fact that you couldn't be bothered properly reading this thread, or... fact checking.... just as well others here are good enough to help ya out with that.

enjoy

9 hours ago, z42 said:

It's frustrating that the story posted seems to completely gloss over the allegation that either the girlfriend (or someone close to her) basically stole 480,000 baht of this guy's money.
I think it is too hard to pre judge this guy too much. Yeah sure he looks a complete fool on the surface, but when you look a little closer it could be that his life savings, or at least a good chunk thereof has been stolen from him. Now there is almost no recourse for him, he is too old to work & earn it back, and actually retrieving the money through the courts I'd guess would be an equally costly, stressful, and arduous venture for a man of his age, and knowing how the justice system operates here, a complete gamble at best.

I don't for a second condone arson or property destruction. But I can feel a degree of sympathy for a man who probably now feels he is at rock bottom. Some of the comments on the video TV had of this incident on their facebook page were disgusting. Kicking a man when he's down is as immoral as it gets imo. Remember, this could very well happen to any of us living here, and while the going is good it is very easy to lose sight of that fact, and be blinded by it.

So he get's cheated out of money and it's alright to burn down someone else's property then? He was renting the place. He has committed arson and threatening behaviour, either he is just plain stupid or or mentally unstable. 

5 hours ago, robblok said:

Yea.. lets burn an innocents house down to get back at the gf. He has a right to be angry.. but not to take it out at an innocent party. I hope they do send him to jail for some time to teach him a lesson. I also hope he gets his money back and if theft is proven the gf goes to jail too.

First of all, many of you keep assuming that was the landlord's bed.  I rented some homes here when I was new,  and I provided my own furniture because I didn't like what was on offer here, and I especially did not want a used bed.  Some houses were partially furnished, I got them to take out stuff, like the beds, and the things I hated most.

This man took the bed outside. He was maybe destroying his own property in a fit of drunken frustration.  He had almost been killed a year ago, obviously for his money. He surely lost more than the 500K over time.  He had her kids living there too.  And you hope he goes to jail?  Get real!! 

People get tempted to come here with all the great stories.  Those of us who try to warn people, get told we are just being "negative" and to F' off.  If he would have come on here to complain he would have gotten brutalized by most you posters in so many ways. If you talk to Thais ..you see what happens...shut your mouth ..you cannot talk bad about Thai people!! That does not exist here. They can do what they want to you and we can say nothing!!

55 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

So he get's cheated out of money and it's alright to burn down someone else's property then? He was renting the place. He has committed arson and threatening behaviour, either he is just plain stupid or or mentally unstable. 

He's plain stupid, mentally very unstable, schizophrenic and an idiot. 

1 minute ago, amykat said:

First of all, many of you keep assuming that was the landlord's bed.  I rented some homes here when I was new,  and I provided my own furniture because I didn't like what was on offer here, and I especially did not want a used bed.  Some houses were partially furnished, I got them to take out stuff, like the beds, and the things I hated most.

This man took the bed outside. He was maybe destroying his own property in a fit of drunken frustration.  He had almost been killed a year ago, obviously for his money. He surely lost more than the 500K over time.  He had her kids living there too.  And you hope he goes to jail?  Get real!! 

People get tempted to come here with all the great stories.  Those of us who try to warn people, get told we are just being "negative" and to F' off.  If he would have come on here to complain he would have gotten brutalized by most you posters in so many ways. If you talk to Thais ..you see what happens...shut your mouth ..you cannot talk bad about Thai people!! That does not exist here. They can do what they want to you and we can say nothing!!

Yes I hope he goes to jail.. if he was burning people's properties. (different story if it was his own bed). You sound like a farang apologist, I would want a Thai that sets fire to my stuff go to jail too. Damm just think that he could have burned the house down. 

I just fail to see why a third party should suffer because this guy got shafted. Had he done something to the wife her property i could have understood. 

Just now, robblok said:

Yes I hope he goes to jail.. if he was burning people's properties. (different story if it was his own bed). You sound like a farang apologist, I would want a Thai that sets fire to my stuff go to jail too. Damm just think that he could have burned the house down. 

I just fail to see why a third party should suffer because this guy got shafted. Had he done something to the wife her property i could have understood. 

Well that would not normally be an offense that would cause a person to do jail time in any Western country ..nor here. So that is quite a strong statement.

However, the crime is the same, even it he did it to HER property.  I am not an apologist for anyone.  If it is the landlord's bed, then he can simply pay the landlord for the bed.  The landlord will not gain anything because he goes to jail.  You also don't get punished for things that "could have happened", but did NOT happen.

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Dont move, stay where you are , I will scroll back and find it .

Could I get you a cup of tea, or a beer, whilst you are waiting ?

Yes please tea would be nice, some of us are busy you know no time to scroll through multitude of the same responses. Plus I know with the relevent sarcastic comments someone will find it for me. 

1 hour ago, farcanell said:

My comment was that landlords insurance pays out on arson (unless done by landlord himself, of course).

pretty sure that's fact.... no rumor, mistruth, deflection etc etc.... just fact.

much like its fact that you couldn't be bothered properly reading this thread, or... fact checking.... just as well others here are good enough to help ya out with that.

enjoy

Where did I even mention insurance? Don't give a dam about him trying to burn down anything. Think you are quoting the wrong person. Never mind old age comes to us all.

2 hours ago, farcanell said:

how far is the fall fall from atop your high horse?

No "high horse", merely better educated than you and most Thais. The people here are peasants in mentality as well as fact. They have no identity beyond their fealty to royalty. They are fiercely proud of groveling before hereditary superbeings who would use them as food for their animals if they could do it secretly. The "noble savage" idea is alive and well on TVF.

11 hours ago, Kerryd said:

The "root" of the problem was that she apparently got ahold of his ATM card and emptied almost 500,000 baht from his account.

(And yes, it's not that hard for someone to do as I found out after my dad's girlfriend had been draining his account of 20,000 a day until he died and then, even though I had his bank book, ATM card and passport, was able to get a new bank book and continue draining his account for 2 weeks days after he died and even scooped a small interest payment that came in 6 weeks later ! I was out of the country working and didn't find out until I got back and by then she was long gone of course. When I asked at the bank how it was possible for her to do this all I got was a shrug and "not my problem" kind of look.)

first i must say here we have aussies finest  in action...must be the high class quality tourists the thai government is so proud off..... about what hapoened to ur dad....does not surprise me that it is technicaly ( BS bank security etc ) and personaly possible ( I had a th ex gf here in europe who did this to her ex and i should be the nect in line ).. it can happen as it did so many times ...BUT when a bf husband etc find out the first time he must immediately cut the relationship marriage etc.....u ( and ur dad for sure ) must be in charge and control of the money flow from the account if anything fishy happen kick out the <deleted> change bank account and case closed...it is called self responsibility ....last my comment: never ever give a thai women ( or any other women ) money just to be with u...but dont be an <deleted> help her now and than in a responsible way that u can accept....if she start demanding complaining trying to get ur bankcodes etc kick her immediately period....very last: never ever believe anything a whore ( Bar girl etc ) tell u and never marry one .... 

A serious embarrassment to westerners. But he certainly did not deserve to be robbed.

I am surprised though how more foreigners don't go mad in this nuthouse.    

This low life thief of a "girlfriend" (probably planned from the very first day?) is but one tiny example of what goes on on a daily basis in this wonderful land of smiling, waiing people.

My buddy had 1.5m EURO stolen from him through corruption by his partner, moneylenders, the local cops, the land office, the local lawyers and the courts.

He was in court recently (Phuket) and one of the plaintiffs lawyers made a remark/threat against his children that caused him to settle a case where he was 100% innocent. The same lawyer was then seen having tea with the judge. 

Sick society.

Archived