potassium inputs

What are you guys buying or making for your potassium fertilizer?

I'm using worm and bat poo so I have a lot covered of my minerals covered but would like to know what's available locally specifically for potassium.

thanks

Since you're posting in organic forum, I will assume you are interested in natural sources of K that are organic program compatible.  Without availability of kelp meal, K-Mag,, Jersey Greensand and other products common in the US and other countries, in the Thai ag shops for bulk affordable sourcing it's very limited to naturally mined Potassium Sulfate 0-0-50 and Potassim humate. Both of which are available from Limsakdakul Chemikasate Co in San Sai area of Chiang Mai. PM me for contact info and directions. The Potassium humate is interesting because of the humates, which is one of the most beneficial amendments. See my post in this forum with article on Organic Matter and Humic Substances. 

But keep in mind, without soil testing and a prescription for amendments based on actual deficiencies and imbalances found, you are just guessing. Bat guano and worm castings are great materials, but I'm not sure your assumption of those providing most of the needed minerals is fully accurate.

Read the book Ideal Soil by Michael Astera. E-book, sample chapters and other good info available at www.soilminerals.com.  

Thanks for the reply DT,

Yes you are correct, I am looking for organic amendments. My plants are not showing any deficiencies but potassium has just been one of those things that I haven't been able to specifically source locally. The humate sounds interesting.

I've also amended my soil with bone meal and rock dust so it's got to have a fair amount of all of the good stuff going for it on top of the liquid fertilizers I use of fish emulsion, fermented plant/fruit juices, etc...

Again, thanks for the help!

24 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

Potassium is a mineral. How can it be "organic"?

I'm not an expert but from my understanding using hydro as an example, can't the nutrient solution eventually become too salty in a recirculating system and you eventually need to dump or dilute the nutes? Again, not an expert but something along those lines. I'm assuming an "organic" potassium fertilizer doesn't add salts to your growing medium? I don't think I want to go adding any potassium xxxphate to my soil.

So instead of using the O word I should say unadulterated?

Don't really care because I think most people know what I mean.

Just now, WatUp said:

I'm not an expert but from my understanding using hydro as an example, can't the nutrient solution eventually become too salty in a recirculating system and you eventually need to dump or dilute the nutes? Again, not an expert but something along those lines. I'm assuming an "organic" potassium fertilizer doesn't add salts to your growing medium? I don't think I want to go adding any potassium xxxphate to my soil.

So instead of using the O word I should say unadulterated?

Don't really care because I think most people know what I mean.

All you're doing is adulterating the English language, using "organic" in a wholly specialized way, just as exercise junkies use "aerobics". What you're claiming is that potassium as a naturally occurring substance must be somehow superior to fertilizers that also use potassium. In neither sense is it "organic".

7 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

All you're doing is adulterating the English language, using "organic" in a wholly specialized way, just as exercise junkies use "aerobics". What you're claiming is that potassium as a naturally occurring substance must be somehow superior to fertilizers that also use potassium. In neither sense is it "organic".

To each his own dude and again I think most people know what I am asking and don't need to be a <deleted> about it.

Good point Saint,  The term organic is definitely used excessively and loosely. You are right, a mineral is not "organic matter", but the issue in "organic" growing programs is that some materials enhance the biological activity in the soil if used properly, in prescribed amounts and balances, and some harsher synthetic concentrated chemicals can do harm to the multitude of organisms and the soil ecology. So "organic", in the sense that WatUp and I were discussing is certainly a specialized use of term, referring to an "organic" growing program. Which is the way organic growers refer to the system, like it or not, the English language fortunately allows for common usage of terms, understandable among a special interest group. A mineral substance and be organic program compatible, or not. And this is further defined in organic land care standards and  by regulating organizations and research bodies like OMRI, the Organic Materials Review Institute. When my wife says "you want make love?" I say "yeah baby!". Maybe not perfect English, but we both know what we're talking about :partytime2:

If you don't want to go the full soil analysis route, and want a general purpose potash supplement, then I would consider the Potassium humate. as a source for important humic substance as well as the K. This product is obviously imported, and I didn't ask the price. I don't know if it is available at other shops in Thailand. But the LSD Chemi shop I mentioned does ship by NimSeeSing, I asked.

K-humate1.jpg

K-humate2.jpg

Archived