BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Goat Roper

Attorney(honest Type)

Often you'll find that for many purposes where one might think to use a lawyer, you might find that a good accountant will be more useful (and cheaper) than a lawyer. Personally, I've found accountants to be much better at keeping details sorted when dealing with government stuff than most lawyers I've met. Some Immigration issues, workpermits, taxes, new company setup, are a few examples. And there are a number of accountants in Chiang Mai experienced in farang issues, and the laws pertaining to them.

Of course, the same problem arises, as with lawyers....Finding a good one.

Often you'll find that for many purposes where one might think to use a lawyer, you might find that a good accountant will be more useful (and cheaper) than a lawyer. Personally, I've found accountants to be much better at keeping details sorted when dealing with government stuff than most lawyers I've met. Some Immigration issues, workpermits, taxes, new company setup, are a few examples. And there are a number of accountants in Chiang Mai experienced in farang issues, and the laws pertaining to them.

Of course, the same problem arises, as with lawyers....Finding a good one.

Excellent advice Ajarn, thanks again.

No I am not being funny and making oxymorons here when I am requesting suggestions for an honest attorney. :o

If you have one or know of one in Chiang Mai please post the name and contact info and I'll thank you for doing that.

Never met one, from here to Rio. :D:D

If you want to use a western lawyer at TG it is obvious that it'll cost more money.

In our case, same Thai lawyer, two different rates.

Sorry that the following is not much use on this topic, but, two feelings..

1. The "When you want to have something done properly, use a Western xxxxx" sentiment always makes me sigh. No matter if it's on the topic of law or fixing cars or building houses or fixing computers.

2. Getting a lawyer for a land deal, or for visa/work-permit related issues, or setting up a company, or even getting a drivers license or buying a car..! Why? The people at the respective local government offices know perfectly well what they're doing, and can always assist with explaining how to fill in forms, etc. Quite a few 'lawyers' are making quite good business in this country just filling in a standard form for a some fresh foreign resident..

I can understand that perhaps it would be good to get someone with experience when a 'lease' by a foreign resident on property is involved, but for all the standard stuff.. Just find out yourself. 'Setting up a company..' My girlfriends' sister just did it and she's just got a Techno college bachelor degree.. And when you as a foreigner are involved: work with a Thai person/employee and just get the info from the respective government offices. If that doesn't work THEN perhaps look into professional legal help. I think lawyers make sense for matters in the courts. Doing any regular thingy at a government land/transport/labour/immigration office is often just a matter of filling in a form.. hardly worth paying several then-thousands of baht for!

[end of rant.] ;-)

Cheers,

Chanchao