Attorney(honest Type)

Goat Roper

No I am not being funny and making oxymorons here when I am requesting suggestions for an honest attorney. :o

If you have one or know of one in Chiang Mai please post the name and contact info and I'll thank you for doing that.

No I am not being funny and making oxymorons here when I am requesting suggestions for an honest attorney. :o

If you have one or know of one in Chiang Mai please post the name and contact info and I'll thank you for doing that.

Just ask for an attorney GR. Specifying an honest one is making it a bit too hard to advise you :D

Just ask for an attorney GR. Specifying an honest one is making it a bit too hard to advise you :D

got it Doc, don't know what I was thinking, I just got carried away there for a moment. :D

Thanks Ajarn, gives me a good place to start, don't know John Shaw however.

He's a nice guy, well respected, been around here a long time, and he's smart. Don't think he'd engage a shyster.

While education doesn't always insure quality or honesty, keep in mind that Thai lawyers have an undergraduate education in law, not the rigorous education or tough bar examinations found in many U.S. states.

The one "lawyer" I found from the U.S. Consulate list and confirmed with ad in Chian Mai magazine was of such poor quality as to be embarrassing. He was instructed by the land office how to record my lease-back and mortgage document.

When I questioned the simplistic and inarticulate verbiage he explained it was in the translation and Thai law is code law, not common law as in the U.S.

He charged me 40k for two documents and he presence at the recording. He required a ride back to his office, explaining he had given his car to someone for the day, he had taken a Songtel to the land office. I have since learned his fee was exhorbitant.

He was honest. but it was the efforts of the land office staff who got the documents right. He didn't really understand the principle of sale lease-back and I doubt he had much business law experience.

While education doesn't always insure quality or honesty, keep in mind that Thai lawyers have an undergraduate education in law, not the rigorous education or tough bar examinations found in many U.S. states.

The one "lawyer" I found from the U.S. Consulate list and confirmed with ad in Chian Mai magazine was of such poor quality as to be embarrassing. He was instructed by the land office how to record my lease-back and mortgage document.

When I questioned the simplistic and inarticulate verbiage he explained it was in the translation and Thai law is code law, not common law as in the U.S.

He charged me 40k for two documents and he presence at the recording. He required a ride back to his office, explaining he had given his car to someone for the day, he had taken a Songtel to the land office. I have since learned his fee was exhorbitant.

He was honest. but it was the efforts of the land office staff who got the documents right. He didn't really understand the principle of sale lease-back and I doubt he had much business law experience.

Noted, thanks

The one "lawyer" I found from the U.S. Consulate list and confirmed with ad in Chian Mai magazine was of such poor quality as to be embarrassing.  He was instructed by the land office how to record my lease-back and mortgage document.

When I  questioned the simplistic and inarticulate verbiage he explained it was in the translation and Thai law is code law, not common law as in the U.S.

He charged me 40k for two documents and he presence at the recording. He required a ride back to his office, explaining he had given his car to someone for the day, he had taken a Songtel to the land office.  I have since learned his fee was exhorbitant. 

He was honest. but it was the efforts of the land office staff who got the documents right.  He didn't really understand the principle of sale lease-back and I doubt he had much business law experience.

Noted, thanks

If you want perfection go to an office with the western lawyers. Tilleke Gibbins is a good example. Costly, but right down the line.

If you want perfection go to an office with the western lawyers. Tilleke Gibbins is a good example. Costly, but right down the line.

Please give me some contact info Doc, I don't want any surprises with my additional investments in LOS. Thanks

If you use Tilleke and Gibbons, make sure a Thai person calls them up first and explain what help is needed and ask what their fees are. Maybe even ask to have a written quote faxed over. That person should not mention to them that a farang is involved.

When my wife was going to buy land, we contacted T&G. First she called them and got one rate. Later I contacted them without mentioning that my wife had already contacted them and got quoted a much higher rate (almost twice what she got quoted as I remember it). I got pissed off at them because of this so we ended up not using a lawyer.

The land office people were very helpful and knowledgeable and made sure all documents were in order. In our case it would have been a total waste to use a lawyer, maybe even counterproductive since the staff at the land office may have been less helpful with a lawyer involved. But I guess it varies depending on what you are doing, what land office you go to and even who takes care of you there.

Anyway, you will find all their contact info at http://www.tillekeandgibbins.com/

Often you'll find that for many purposes where one might think to use a lawyer, you might find that a good accountant will be more useful (and cheaper) than a lawyer. Personally, I've found accountants to be much better at keeping details sorted when dealing with government stuff than most lawyers I've met. Some Immigration issues, workpermits, taxes, new company setup, are a few examples. And there are a number of accountants in Chiang Mai experienced in farang issues, and the laws pertaining to them.

Of course, the same problem arises, as with lawyers....Finding a good one.

Often you'll find that for many purposes where one might think to use a lawyer, you might find that a good accountant will be more useful (and cheaper) than a lawyer. Personally, I've found accountants to be much better at keeping details sorted when dealing with government stuff than most lawyers I've met. Some Immigration issues, workpermits, taxes, new company setup, are a few examples. And there are a number of accountants in Chiang Mai experienced in farang issues, and the laws pertaining to them.

Of course, the same problem arises, as with lawyers....Finding a good one.

Excellent advice Ajarn, thanks again.

Never met one, from here to Rio. :D:D

Sorry that the following is not much use on this topic, but, two feelings..

1. The "When you want to have something done properly, use a Western xxxxx" sentiment always makes me sigh. No matter if it's on the topic of law or fixing cars or building houses or fixing computers.

2. Getting a lawyer for a land deal, or for visa/work-permit related issues, or setting up a company, or even getting a drivers license or buying a car..! Why? The people at the respective local government offices know perfectly well what they're doing, and can always assist with explaining how to fill in forms, etc. Quite a few 'lawyers' are making quite good business in this country just filling in a standard form for a some fresh foreign resident..

I can understand that perhaps it would be good to get someone with experience when a 'lease' by a foreign resident on property is involved, but for all the standard stuff.. Just find out yourself. 'Setting up a company..' My girlfriends' sister just did it and she's just got a Techno college bachelor degree.. And when you as a foreigner are involved: work with a Thai person/employee and just get the info from the respective government offices. If that doesn't work THEN perhaps look into professional legal help. I think lawyers make sense for matters in the courts. Doing any regular thingy at a government land/transport/labour/immigration office is often just a matter of filling in a form.. hardly worth paying several then-thousands of baht for!

[end of rant.] ;-)

Cheers,

Chanchao