Jump to content
BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rooster59

Phuket dive instructor crackdown may have ‘terminal effect’, warns industry representative

Recommended Posts

Phuket dive instructor crackdown may have ‘terminal effect’, warns industry representative 

The Phuket News

 

1485573633_1-org.jpg

Phuket dive instructors arrested for teaching at locations other than at their employer’s office address could kill off many small dive shops, ATUS warned. Photo: Tanyaluk Sakoot
 

PHUKET: The Association of Thailand Underwater Sports (ATUS) has warned that further arrests of Phuket dive instructors for teaching at locations outside work permit regulations could kill off many businesses in the island’s booming dive industry.

 

“I received complaints from several instructors that they were fined a lot of money for breaching this condition, even if they have a legal instructor’s licence. Some of them are giving up and closing their shops,” Ratanapon Promchu, Manager of the Phuket-based ATUS office, told The Phuket News.

 

“If this condition continues to be strictly enforced, it could have a terminal effect on Phuket’s scuba diving industry and hurt Phuket’s overall tourism reputation,” she added.

 

The warning follows a spate of arrests of dive instructors for using swimming pools at other dive companies, or teaching in the sea, as their employing company did not have pools at their places of business.

 

Among the slew of complaints received by The Phuket News about the arrests were recurring reports that passports and work permits were being withheld even after a court-levied fine had been paid.

 

Allegations surfaced that officials were looking for cash contributions of a consistent sum of B35,000 before they would return the passports and work permits. )See story here.)

 

http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-dive-industry-moves-against-police-arrests-alleged-shakedowns-60536.php

 

Those allegations have yet to be responded to by officials.

 

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-dive-instructor-crackdown-may-have-terminal-effect-warns-industry-representative-60815.php#tCkHvFjbWsx3jU5d.97

 

 

 
tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-01-28


 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why should they be any different to any other foreign worker, work where the work permit says.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, steve187 said:

Why should they be any different to any other foreign worker, work where the work permit says.

I wonder what is specified in a pilots work permit?

 

If any realtor have work permits, which I doubt they have, do they then have to list every property they may or may not visit in the foreseeable future?

 

How can the models that was asked to get work permits last year know where they will  shoot every single picture a year in advance?

 

Is a CEO that answer his mobile phone outside the office breaking the law?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't dived in Phuket for years cos its crap ! Nothing worth seeing. I hope they all get closed down and the sea and sealife has a chance to recover. Ban the fishing boats too.  They wont do that though, will they ? Cant milk them for more money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

See story here.

"... were recurring reports that passports and work permits were being withheld even after a court-levied fine had been paid .... Allegations surfaced that officials were looking for cash contributions of a consistent sum of B35,000 before they would return the passports and work permits."

Seems corruption never takes a holiday or a dive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Phuket dive instructor crackdown may have ‘terminal effect’, warns industry representative 

 

Better to kill off a few dodgy diving outfits than more tourists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jaiyen said:

I haven't dived in Phuket for years cos its crap ! Nothing worth seeing. I hope they all get closed down and the sea and sealife has a chance to recover. Ban the fishing boats too.  They wont do that though, will they ? Cant milk them for more money.

Off topic, nonsense rant.

 

I don't see any diveshops closing over this BTW.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Off topic, nonsense rant.

 

I don't see any diveshops closing over this BTW.

 

I'm asking out of curiosity, not to suggest this is happening.   Is there anything suspicious about the timing here?  Have some Thai owned dive shops opened up?

 

We hire pro divers and do some in-the-water safety training (oilfield) and I found the Thai divers to be excellent and the Thai instructors to be top notch.  I would imagine they'd be looking for a bigger piece of that segment of the tourism pie as their numbers grow.  Especially since it's slim pickin's in the oilfield this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, impulse said:

 

I'm asking out of curiosity, not to suggest this is happening.   Is there anything suspicious about the timing here?  Have some Thai owned dive shops opened up?

 

We hire pro divers and do some in-the-water safety training (oilfield) and I found the Thai divers to be excellent and the Thai instructors to be top notch.  I would imagine they'd be looking for a bigger piece of that segment of the tourism pie as their numbers grow.  Especially since it's slim pickin's in the oilfield this year.

No, nothing like that. The only issue about the timing is that they tend to do it before weekends/holidays, forcing the instructors caught to make a decision: either go to court and spend a few days in jail first or pay up and get out in an hour. On normal weekdays it would be just one day in jail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, stevenl said:

No, nothing like that. The only issue about the timing is that they tend to do it before weekends/holidays, forcing the instructors caught to make a decision: either go to court and spend a few days in jail first or pay up and get out in an hour. On normal weekdays it would be just one day in jail.

 

So, just being all around nice guys, eh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, steve187 said:

Why should they be any different to any other foreign worker, work where the work permit says.

Because unless instruction takes place in water (a swimming pool at the very beginning and then in the sea) it is of very limited use. And the result of pooir or inadequate instruction is all too often death.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I wonder what is specified in a pilots work permit?

 

If any realtor have work permits, which I doubt they have, do they then have to list every property they may or may not visit in the foreseeable future?

 

How can the models that was asked to get work permits last year know where they will  shoot every single picture a year in advance?

 

Is a CEO that answer his mobile phone outside the office breaking the law?

i didn't say its work permits are correctly issued or they should not be a looser description of 'place of work' i said why should thingd be different for diving instructors 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, it will just mean Thais will replace the foreigners, which I imagine is why there is a crackdown. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I wonder what is specified in a pilots work permit?

 

If any realtor have work permits, which I doubt they have, do they then have to list every property they may or may not visit in the foreseeable future?

 

How can the models that was asked to get work permits last year know where they will  shoot every single picture a year in advance?

 

Is a CEO that answer his mobile phone outside the office breaking the law?

It just shows that work permits limitation on location are not practical. Same goes for teachers at football games with different schools.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...