Australian tourist stuck in Thai hospital after head-on collision, owing $56,000 in medical bills

rooster59

On 1/28/2017 at 4:23 PM, stament said:

$56,000?  Sounds a lot, 56,000 baht or maybe $16,000 but $56,000???  This is Thailand not America!

Hope she makes a full recovery. I thought she would at least be covered for THb c30,000 as part of the motorbike tax that is paid by the rental company and available for hospital expenses. I have used that myself and wasn't asked for my driving license but I was wearing a helmet.

She had neurosurgery. 1.5 million THB sounds right.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/8/2017 at 4:53 PM, yogavnture said:

this is lighten it up a bit?  how do u know how americans drive?  your bendy road analogy is stupid   .  motorbike condition in Thailand?  again inaccurate and stupid post.  how do u know how motorbike shops maintain bikes in Thailand.  quit generalizing. americans and thai motorbikes.  what is a moving elect. pylon?

Touchy touchy? And without a sense of humour. Try and enjoy your day. :smile:

On 09/02/2017 at 1:20 PM, geriatrickid said:

The option to purchase  motorcycle coevrage is clearly stated on the web page. One has the option of basic or comprehensive and adding an adventure pack.

And sorry to say, the Allian conditions were legitimate and reasonable. Unqualified and irresponsible people cannot expect a third party to pay for the  damage they will incur because of their engaging in activities that they should not engage in. As a nurse she should have known that it is a responsible behaviour to wear a helmet. She also had the option of covering  the use of a motorbike.

For reference sake, this is what her policy says.

A.13] Your claim arises directly or indirectly from, or is in any way connected with:

•  you driving a motor vehicle or riding a moped or scooter without a current Australian drivers licence or drivers licence valid for the country you are driving or riding in. This applies even if you are not required by law to hold a licence in the country you are driving or riding in;

•  you riding a motorcycle without a current Australian motorcycle licence or motorcycle licence valid for the country you are riding in. This applies even if you are not required to hold a motorcycle licence because you hold a drivers licence, or a motorcycle licence is not required by law in the country you are riding in;

•  you travelling as a passenger on a motorcycle, moped or scooter that is in the control of a person who does not hold a current motorcycle or drivers licence valid for the vehicle being ridden and for the country you are riding in;

•  you riding, or travelling as a passenger, on a motorcycle with an engine capacity greater than 250cc or on a quad bike except as provided under the ADDITIONAL OPTION - ADVENTURE PACK and you have paid the additional premium for ADVENTURE PACK;

•  you riding, or travelling as a passenger, on a motorcycle, moped, scooter or quad bike without wearing a helmet

Badda bing badda bang badda boom...........................

2 hours ago, HooHaa said:

no, it was not, it was certainly trying to be though.

Yet another person with a limited sense of humour.

Mind you, looking at your other posts, it is in keeping with your general attitude to others.

Come on, lighten up a bit and see life for what it is, a short journey where we must make the most of it, not a miserable existence that  must be endured.

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 3:55 PM, Flustered said:

Yet another person with a limited sense of humour.

Mind you, looking at your other posts, it is in keeping with your general attitude to others.

Come on, lighten up a bit and see life for what it is, a short journey where we must make the most of it, not a miserable existence that  must be endured.

oh flustered its so funny that the woman lost everything including her health. and u want me to lighten up.  I don't care about you and your cheap brtish self interest this post is about a woman that lost everything.  if u respond to that then i will discuss otherwise shut your trap

at least u are true about something. that's a step.  u got three responses and u feel special?  go to another topic post stupid stuff like u did here and maybe u will get 4 responses. and u will feel really good!!!!!!!!!!  this post is about a woman that lost everything if u respond to me with something about that i will respond otherwise shut up

Latest news is.

https://www.gofundme.com/dawns-medical-expeneses

Update 24
Posted by Amy Cosgrove
1 hour ago

Dawn has landed safely and is resting in her room in the Sydney hospital.

Addendum.
Amazing how many people on that web site think she was riding a "moped" under 50cc. and Allianz are the bad guys.  I have never even seen such a beast in Thailand.

Some of them need to get their facts right.

3 minutes ago, Flustered said:

Latest news is.

https://www.gofundme.com/dawns-medical-expeneses

Update 24
Posted by Amy Cosgrove
1 hour ago

Dawn has landed safely and is resting in her room in the Sydney hospital.

Excellent... that's some good news, thanks for the update.

this has been a wee lesson for all, and has certainly made me scrutinize my own insurance coverage.

5 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Excellent... that's some good news, thanks for the update.

this has been a wee lesson for all, and has certainly made me scrutinize my own insurance coverage.

100% on both counts.

My dear old Da used to drive into us the importance of insurance. He said that the day we neglected it would be the day we needed it.

No one likes paying out for insurance (and READING the small print) but in this day and age, it's crucial.

Archived