Australian tourist stuck in Thai hospital after head-on collision, owing $56,000 in medical bills

rooster59

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What hospitals are they taking these people to?

I had an accident here, broke seven bones, had massive reconstruction of my shoulder, at the best private hospital in town, deluxe private room, six nights in hospital and it cost less than $3500. 

I was in hospital in Bangkok for a week, in ICU for two nights with multiple organ failure due to dehydration from food poisoning, was on five kinds of IV antibiotics, had a private room with a guest bedroom , bill was $3000.

I had insurance and never saw a bill. Correction, I paid ฿180 for a cane. 

1 hour ago, BarnicaleBob said:

If you would have read the whole story, you would know that she had insurance but it did not cover her for driving a moped.  So her only mistake was to rent a moped without reading the fine print on her travel insurance policy

In that case she did not have insurance. Also she did not hold an Australian driver's licence for a motorcycle. The stupidity of this woman who could not ride a motorbike taking her son on the back is mind blowing. I am glad he so escaped OK but  have no sympathy for this woman.

If you would have read the whole story, you would know that she had insurance but it did not cover her for driving a moped.  So her only mistake was to rent a moped without reading the fine print on her travel insurance policy

1 hour ago, Andrew65 said:

I think that even if one has travel/medical insurance, some companies will not pay out on motorcycle accidents. Probably needs to be stated to the company that one will be riding motorcycles when taking out the policy, it would then be reflected in the premium. Maybe skiing etc is the same?

there is only 2 or policies that actually do cover motorcycles and from memory you're rested 100cc.

There was one other that was up to 400cc but I'm not sure if it's still in existence. Pretty expensive as well.

1 hour ago, F4UCorsair said:

Riding a motorcycle Is generally not covered by travel Insurance , classified as a hazardous activity.

Probably find insurance companies rate coming to Thailand as hazardous activity, END OF STORY  !  !!

46 minutes ago, Headgame said:

This would be so easy to remedy if the government mandated compulsory insurance for all riders and negotiated with a major carrier to provide the policy. The bikes companies would have to collect the fees and remit weekly through 7-11. No insurance. No motorbike rental.

Wouldn`t make any difference if the driver or rider was not legally entitled to take a vehicle out onto a road.

1 hour ago, Paul Hancock said:

The authorities could try to force motorcycle rental agencies to display a sign in different languages warning renters to check their insurance before renting. If nothing else, the BiB would get a little extra tea money from enforcing the law.....

Sure, that would really be in the best interest of Thailand ..encourage people to not rent, to be scared of having an accident (that is very Thai).

Better for our Western governments to regulate insurance companies to make these things known to policy holders??

I really can't see what everyone is getting worked up about, "she is at fault" when you fill in the tabs online with insurers, most ask if you will be riding a motorbike, suffice to say even if there wasn't a tab asking the question, she knows or should have known the rules, she wouldn't be riding a motorbike in Australia without a motorbike licence I can assure you because the law down under is pretty heavy. 

As for operators of motorcycle hire places in Thailand allowing her to ride a motorbike without the appropriate motorcycle licence, well maybe she has grounds to sue, depending on Thai law.

I feel sorry for her and her son, but fair suck of the sav, she should have known better, I see know reason why anyone should have to bail her out, hubby can go to the bank and pull out the money against the house, if they haven't got one, he can take out a personal loan, over this kind of news, all countries should make it mandatory that tourists have travel insurance and also crack down on operators of rental places making sure the appropriate licences are sighted when hiring cars or motorcycles. 

1 hour ago, chrisfwilson said:

She has travel insurance but the company won't pay as she didn't have an appropriate licence and no helmet.

I am with the insurer on this, why should they cough up, in Australia you have to have a motorcycle licence to ride a motorbike, why would she think Thailand is any different ?

One reason to get "worked up" over this is that the hospital is holding her captive, until the bill is paid, and charging her to remain in captivity.... now that's wrong, regardless of the insurance point of view. (Which may be valid).

9 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

As for operators of motorcycle hire places in Thailand allowing her to ride a motorbike without the appropriate motorcycle licence, well maybe she has grounds to sue, depending on Thai law.

Now that is really hilarious!!!

There isn't an insurance company in the world that will cover an accident in/on a vehicle you dont have a license for. 

I have had travel insurance from Australia that covers motorbike accidents, if you are licensed rider and riding a registered motorbike and not breaking the law. The only restriction I have come across is a limit on the damage coverage to the motorbike ($1000),  they have a similar limit on car damage.

I have also been given a seperate warning document with the insurance documents, stating in big letters "you are not covered for motorbike accident if you dont have a license", every kid that goes to Bali gets handed the same document.

I don't buy that, "mistake" I thoroughly read insurance policies, just recently taking one travel insurance for a week to Australia with the family in May.

I am renting a vehicle from the airport, I read the rental agreement and the amount of excess that I would have to pay if in an accident, standard about $4,000AUS, so I searched for a travel insurer that would cover such an amount rather than I be out of pocket, because most insures only cover you for $2,000AUS, sure it cost me about $100AUS to top up the excess cover from $2,000AUS standard to $4,000AUS, so I am covered, the policy also said I had to have either an Australian drivers licence or an international drivers licence, I have an Australian drivers licence and a Thai licence, so I am covered by the Australian licence.

I read the whole policy, it even went further to say that I must not be entitled to Medicare, which I am not, as I am considered a foreign resident, although an Australian Citizen, so it pays to read the polices, as long as they take, otherwise you will only get trouble in the long run, too easy to just tick the boxes and pay the money, but what's in the policy is more than likely what you are not covered for. 

8 minutes ago, amykat said:

Sure, that would really be in the best interest of Thailand ..encourage people to not rent, to be scared of having an accident (that is very Thai).

Better for our Western governments to regulate insurance companies to make these things known to policy holders??

I agree. It`s up to every person to check their own individual insurance policies and read the small print.

I have a question on this to anyone who may know, if a motorbike rental company in Thailand rents out a bike to a person that does not have a driving license to cover the riding of motorbikes and the person has an accident that damages the bike or the bike gets stolen, can the rental company`s insurance policy refuse to pay them out saying they should have checked the hirer was qualified to use the vehicle and therefore they rented the bike out at their own risk?

5 minutes ago, amykat said:

Now that is really hilarious!!!

I did say "maybe", can't see anything funny about that as I am pretty sure these operators have to abide by certain rules, yeh yeh, I know I live in lah lah land. 

2 hours ago, Nemesis7 said:

How sad how the insurance companies deprives a person who is insured. And strongly agree that the first thing they should clearly state are the things which are not covered in bold and big fonts. 

Mikkions if people buys insurance and hardly few clams and then the insurance companies are always trying to find tricks to avoid payments upon genuine claims , it's sad.

hooe the victims friends and family could raise the money and mostly she gets well. 

When is the last time you actually read a travel insurance policy, if they had to put everything in bold and big fonts you would note that that is the entire policy, reader beware, READ the lot, make your own assumptions if the policy is for you.

We know she is educated because she is a nurse, we know they drive on the same road in Australia, we know she didn't read the policy because if she had, she wouldn't be riding the motorbike, we know in Australia you must also be licensed to ride a motorbike in Australia or pay a HUGE fine, we know she wasn't wearing a helmet which you also have to wear in Australia, so what was she thinking, and putting her 14 year old son on the back of the bike without a helmet.

Call me a <deleted>, but I have ridden motorcycles in Australia all of my life, I know the rules, I have taken countless insurance policies out and I read them, I shop around for the one that will allow you to pay a top up to be covered under what they call a deem a hazard, like skiing, so its up to the insurer, and naturally you would have to be licence. 

19 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

I agree. It`s up to every person to check their own individual insurance policies and read the small print.

I have a question on this to anyone who may know, if a motorbike rental company in Thailand rents out a bike to a person that does not have a driving license to cover the riding of motorbikes and the person has an accident that damages the bike or the bike gets stolen, can the rental company`s insurance policy refuse to pay them out saying they should have checked the hirer was qualified to use the vehicle and therefore they rented the bike out at their own risk?

Well I bet that most or all bike rentals do not have any insurance for themselves.  I had car insurance, and my first car and house was in a big flood here once.  I had a Thai license.  My car was parked at my house, it did not involve any driving.  They had me come in 3 times to prove that I had that Thai license ..they seemed to keep losing it.  They surely were trying to deny my claim by saying that I had no Thai license. I was also told that floods were never covered and many other things.  I was also told that by a lawyer who just seemed to want to screw with me ..as a farang .. F' you ...I don't want to see you get anything from us!!

If you get car insurance here, and ask anyone, they will tend to tell you "don't worry, you don't need a Thai license, you can use you license from home."

Australian 1Cover travel insurance covers  driving a motorbike/scooter while in thailand, providing the policy holder has the necessary licence, either thai or international or if a pillion, the driver has the necessary licences.  Use them all the time.

3 hours ago, BarnicaleBob said:

If you read the whole story correctly you would know.............

Ms Weldon's comprehensive travel insurance was void because she did not hold an Australian driver's licence for a motorcycle

Well, I must say this topic has caused me to read the fine print on my Australian travel insurance policy. I had believed I was covered for riding a motor bike/scooter up to 110cc as long as I had a valid Australian driving licence for a motorbike (which I have). Surprisingly enough my policy covers me for a bike up to 250cc. However, the rest of the fine print went on and on and on and I got tired from reading it so I went to bed.

8 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

Only in Bali for Ozzys,everywhere else is ok,as long as you nave a bike licence,which she did not.

Last trip  to Thailand my cover excluded mototcycle riding louse, and snow skiing ( plenty of that In Thailand!!)

I can't recall the company,  but others may be more generous.

If I ran an Insurance company, I wouldn't cover motorcycling ANYWHERE!

Archived