Ko Lanta/Ao Nang advice needed

Chongalulu

Tomorrow I'm driving (2days)to Ao nang where I've accommodation booked until Thursday. I may extend the stay in Ao nang if I like it but thereafter want to drive to visit Ko Lanta. Any tips re ferry queues from mainland (I'm aware of the bridge between islands) this time of year and also general island  guidance including hotels (comfortable but not luxurious -up to 2000 baht?) etc. With own transport ,so am I best prebooking hotel? I'm with my Thai wife, interested in swimming,snorkelling,island trips and somewhere to eat in the evening,don't drink so bars irrelevant. How long to stay there?? Anything including advice on that general Andaman area much appreciated .

14 hours ago, Seligne2 said:

Too bad you booked Ao Nang. My advice is to avoid it. 

even worse so during China's LUNAR NEW YEAR week, which is their most busy holiday period !

I don't wanna imagine what is going on there at the moment

The Koh Lanta ferry costs just 100 baht/car and takes 20 minutes,no need pre-booking the barges go as soon as they fill up and plenty of Hotels there at this time with vacancies no need to pre-book (although it can work out cheaper than the hotels walk in rate) :thumbsup:

35 minutes ago, petermik said:

The Koh Lanta ferry costs just 100 baht/car and takes 20 minutes,no need pre-booking the barges go as soon as they fill up and plenty of Hotels there at this time with vacancies no need to pre-book (although it can work out cheaper than the hotels walk in rate) :thumbsup:

as Koh Lanta is difficult to get to, there is a good chance almost no Chinese holidaymakers are there and I would guess this is the best option for the OP. Large island with veeeeery long stretches of deserted beaches and near to no nightlife. Just make sure you rent a scooter

7 hours ago, siam2007 said:

as Koh Lanta is difficult to get to, there is a good chance almost no Chinese holidaymakers are there and I would guess this is the best option for the OP. Large island with veeeeery long stretches of deserted beaches and near to no nightlife. Just make sure you rent a scooter

Thanks,won't need a scooter as I have my pickup. The two nights in Ao nang won't be such a problem as I'm primarily there to meet up with a friend from Samui. So if I like it but it's too crowded go to Lanta and return the following week? I have Phuket on my agenda afterwards too not having been back to Karon for six odd years. I know it's likely to have changed but hope the beaches and swimming are still reasonable? Any further suggestions re that and surrounding Andaman area helpful and welcome. 

• 3 weeks later...

Lanta over ao nang all day long.

If ao nang is no good jump to railway in 10 minutes but beware it's not cheap when arriving without a booking.

Lanta. Get on the island get straight out of Saladan and head on main Rd for 4km approx and find a great accommodation called Papillon which is maybe 1000 a night these days or next door to them is Long Beach chalets? bit pricier but just great location wise. Long Beach is a lovely beach and accessible from both resorts within a 4 min walk.

Rent a scooter and a helmet and go as far as you can go all the way to kantiang bay approx 12km if I recall.

Monkey parks around there too and waterfalls by diamond cliff I think

Another great place to see is old town a nice ride too. Once in old town visit a coffee haberdashery business called malee malee opposite there you could grab breakfast in a beautiful teak style restaurant which provides a beautiful scenic sea view and a decent cooked breakfast.

The area Long Beach has a fair few bars and restaurants on the Rd mainly and a few on beach. Find a bar called Kappaklum bar for a bogey until dawn if that's your thing. Bit further away but not far at all. 

Not been for a couple of years but one thing I liked about Lanta is the turnover of businesses did not seem too quick so I'm hoping a few places mentioned above are still about. 

Enjoy

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/01/2017 at 10:30 AM, siam2007 said:

Koh Lanta is not difficult to get to at all. In terms of Thai islands it's got to be one of the easiest. Even in low season I got a mini bus from Krabi and less than 3 hours, I think it was, easy!

• 1 month later...

I agree. It's quite straightforward traveling to Koh Lanta. Ferry schedules are available the whole day. You could pre-book ferries at PhuketFerry. They are partnered with reliable ferry companies. Best to contact them so they could help you plan for your trip with quotes and recommendations.

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 9:05 PM, nchuckle said:

Thanks,won't need a scooter as I have my pickup. The two nights in Ao nang won't be such a problem as I'm primarily there to meet up with a friend from Samui. So if I like it but it's too crowded go to Lanta and return the following week? I have Phuket on my agenda afterwards too not having been back to Karon for six odd years. I know it's likely to have changed but hope the beaches and swimming are still reasonable? Any further suggestions re that and surrounding Andaman area helpful and welcome. 

Ao Nang was a <deleted> 20 years ago, so I doubt it's improved. However, others may like concrete and a rubbish beach. I suggest you take the opportunity to go stay on Railay west beach instead of staying in Ao Nang. Fantastic sunsets if you wait about 10 minutes after the sun actually sets. No matter how polluted Thai beaches have become, they can't spoil the sunset.

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 5:43 AM, Rc2702 said:

Lanta over ao nang all day long.

If ao nang is no good jump to railway in 10 minutes but beware it's not cheap when arriving without a booking.

Lanta. Get on the island get straight out of Saladan and head on main Rd for 4km approx and find a great accommodation called Papillon which is maybe 1000 a night these days or next door to them is Long Beach chalets? bit pricier but just great location wise. Long Beach is a lovely beach and accessible from both resorts within a 4 min walk.

Rent a scooter and a helmet and go as far as you can go all the way to kantiang bay approx 12km if I recall.

Monkey parks around there too and waterfalls by diamond cliff I think

Another great place to see is old town a nice ride too. Once in old town visit a coffee haberdashery business called malee malee opposite there you could grab breakfast in a beautiful teak style restaurant which provides a beautiful scenic sea view and a decent cooked breakfast.

The area Long Beach has a fair few bars and restaurants on the Rd mainly and a few on beach. Find a bar called Kappaklum bar for a bogey until dawn if that's your thing. Bit further away but not far at all. 

Not been for a couple of years but one thing I liked about Lanta is the turnover of businesses did not seem too quick so I'm hoping a few places mentioned above are still about. 

Enjoy

I think you meant Railay, not railway. I was getting confused.

Archived