4 killed and 18 injured in a bus accident in Ang Thong

rooster59

4 killed and 18 injured in a bus accident in Ang Thong

IMG_8916 (1).jpg

Four officials of Phatthalung cooperative office were killed and 18 others were injured when a tour bus in which they were travelling flipped and turned over after a tire burst on the Asian highway in Ang Thong province early Sunday morning.

The dead victims were identified as Mrs Tinakorn Kerdphol who died at Ang Thong provincial hospital, Ms Patthawarin Chanphu, Mr Charun Duangkaew and Ms Natthananchana Samutsenito – all of them died at the scene of the accident near Klong Bangkaeo bridge in Tambon Ban Ree, Muang district.

The driver, Mr Chatchaval Klang, who survived the fatal accident with minor injuries, told police that he took 44 officials of Phatthalung cooperative office to Phu Chee Fah in Chiang Rai for a sight-seeing trip.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/4-killed-18-injured-bus-accident-ang-thong/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-01-29

39 minutes ago, imaderbyfan said:

I cannot access the highighted original source.......

Condition of tyres seems to be the key,   though I dont suppose we will ever be told........And should they be found to be a probable cause for this accident, will anyone be held accountable anyway?

"While on the way back to Bangkok, he claimed that one of the front tires burst and because the inner lane of the road was under construction, making him unable to control the bus which skidded, flipped and overturned.

Police, however, said they would have to investigate to find out more about the cause of the accident."

We all know the driver will say anything to avoid responsibility, so we will most likely never know the real reason for the accident.  Thai Police won't worry too much about 'investigating' the cause, they will be more interested in 'negotiating' a pay out deal between the deceased's relatives and the bus owner in order to get their percentage of the final figure.

RIP those lost and wishes for a speedy recovery for the injured.

17 hours ago, nakhonandy said:

Which tyre?

Should still be able to control the bus!

Doesn't matter which one.... They are flat out controlling the bus with all tires working.... take away one... any one, and they are screwed.

Another bus accident probably due to maintenance issues, but as many have said the TRUTH will be elusive as the punishment for guilty offenders. Face is more important than people. Thainess at its best................................!!

I was just about to comment on the report that one of the ladies died in the hospital when I read that they all died at the scene....?

I was under the impression that only deaths at the scene were counted.

Seems to be some confusion here.

Still 4 too many though.

If the front tyre deflated and sudden braking was applied the bus would be out of control. The correct procedure in this situation is not to apply braking and just steer to a stop. More education in driving procedures of heavy vehicles is required to save this type of accident. RIP. 

22 hours ago, imaderbyfan said:

Condition of tyres seems to be the key,   though I dont suppose we will ever be told........And should they be found to be a probable cause for this accident, will anyone be held accountable anyway?

The usual driver error he fell asleep. He is always the weakest link in the chain of circumstances. 

22 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

"While on the way back to Bangkok, he claimed that one of the front tires burst and because the inner lane of the road was under construction, making him unable to control the bus which skidded, flipped and overturned.

Police, however, said they would have to investigate to find out more about the cause of the accident."

No doubt the driver fell asleep or been drinking 

I took a private bus yesterday from Chiang Mai to Utteradit. They showed their own safety film, highly skilled drivers, maintenance checks etc. At the start of the journey the young male attendant walked through the bus telling everyone to fasten seat belts, I looked around at people in my area and everyone did, by the way I have not used tour buses for around 5 years, so this was a bit of a new one for me. I thought, well at least they are making the effort.
We made a couple of stops,
people getting off and new customers getting on, then not once did the attendant request them to fasten their seats belt.
All the good intentions go down hill very quickly!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

On 1/29/2017 at 1:57 PM, imaderbyfan said:

"While on the way back to Bangkok, he claimed that one of the front tires burst and because the inner lane of the road was under construction, making him unable to control the bus which skidded, flipped and overturned."

On 1/29/2017 at 1:57 PM, imaderbyfan said:

No, nobody cares.  Apparently, when you enter a bus in Thailand you are prepared to die.

I already missed the news about the weekly bus accident. But OK, here it is. Only this time the tyres were to blame and not the brakes. It was about time. You can not always use the brakes as an excuse. But at least a small improvement. The driver didn't flee the scene. Or was it because he was injured ? Sorry, only a question.

2 minutes ago, Swedenlars said:

I already missed the news about the weekly bus accident. But OK, here it is. Only this time the tyres were to blame and not the brakes. It was about time. You can not always use the brakes as an excuse. But at least a small improvement. The driver didn't flee the scene. Or was it because he was injured ? Sorry, only a question.

The police happened to be drinking right around the corner and heard the crash?

On 29/01/2017 at 1:57 PM, imaderbyfan said:

Depends who owns the bus !

Archived