29 years seperated from thai woman

rod jones

hi every body,

i got married to a thai woman , 29 years ago. ...And i am sure we went through the british embassy in bangkok and probably through the thai local official office for her paperwork...i did have a certificate in thai from them of the marrage , which i now lost ...But we lasted 1 year, and i left her and went back to the uk....   .After 1 year i got a letter from her new boyfriend in france with a phone number to get in contact to sign a divorce paper...i called but no answer !! .....so i left it at that..... So anyway in words we have been seperated and have had no contact in the 29 years....   Can anyone tell me where i stand on this now , if possible ....    i remember reading up on this a few years ago on a  uk.org website page , but its trying to find it again now , .... but what it said was as i can remember this part .....that after 18 years of separation the marrage would or could  be automatic annulled , because of the seperation time....Does anybody have any ideas on this ?    .......  Thank you for your time , Rod 

Your Ex might have divorced you already long time ago for being separated for more than 2 years.

Check you status with an Amphoe (you write about 'probably' having married there) and if your Ex actually divorced you, take this result into your filing in UK courts.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Your Ex might have divorced you already long time ago for being separated for more than 2 years.

Check you status with an Amphoe (you write about 'probably' having married there) and if your Ex actually divorced you, take this result into your filing in UK courts.

Thank you for your reply, and information.. I will try and do this ,

Thanks again
Rod

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, Swiss1960 said:

A very good point and well worth checking out.

HL

Why do you now need to know?

Are you about to remarry?

This may not be good advice, but if it was me, and I wanted to remarry, I'd just do it.  Who would know...who would care, after 29 years.

If the issue was ever raised, I'd say I received notification, 15, 17, 20 years ago, that she'd divorced me. The letter has been lost.

Your reason/s may be quite different, I.e., you aren't remarrying, in which case my suggestion may be irrelevant.

Why do you now need to know?
Are you about to remarry?

This may not be good advice, but if it was me, and I wanted to remarry, I'd just do it.  Who would know...who would care, after 29 years.

If the issue was ever raised, I'd say I received notification, 15, 17, 20 years ago, that she'd divorced me. The letter has been lost.

Your reason/s may be quite different, I.e., you aren't remarrying, in which case my suggestion may be irrelevant.

Sounds like a plan , [emoji3] thank you

Forgive my ignorance,but i thought i read somewhere that if he has not supported her,financially,for over a year,he was automatically divorced.This could be proved by bank statements or such.She would have to prove that shr received money,even if it was through Western Union,etc.Please enlighten me,as i am not sure.

Dont know what its like nowdays. But i married my burmese wife in bangkok years ago, she got british nationality almost the next day, i think all that was required was for the marriage certificate to be translated. We got divorced in bangkok about 25 years after the marriage, went to the local amphur each with a witness and after confirming there was no settlement required, received the certificate of divorce. Took about 30 minutes. 

Hello Rod,

I'm in the UK now and did see a brief (Solicitor) about a similar thing last year.

If you've been seperated for more than 2 yrs you can get automatic divorce at our courts, but need both signatures. If you've been seperated for more than 5 yrs then you can go alone to our Courts in UK (for a fee of course) and divorce, which will be ok for you. (you just say on form not seen her for X amount of yrs over 5)

But I think for her maybe a different story, I think for her real closure would be both of your signatures at the office you got married in at Thailand. They have strange and weird ways there.

But, after 29 yrs are you really bothered about her?

My guess is the new man in her life wants her to go to his Country and she would need to be married to him but can't cos the marriage is still legal to you.....as regards you - you would be ok to re-marry if you wanted if you still in the UK.

Don't go paying a brief, all the forms at your local Courts - I believe the cost is around £400'ish.

Let us know how you get on.

Rs

Hello Rod,
I'm in the UK now and did see a brief (Solicitor) about a similar thing last year.
If you've been seperated for more than 2 yrs you can get automatic divorce at our courts, but need both signatures. If you've been seperated for more than 5 yrs then you can go alone to our Courts in UK (for a fee of course) and divorce, which will be ok for you. (you just say on form not seen her for X amount of yrs over 5)

But I think for her maybe a different story, I think for her real closure would be both of your signatures at the office you got married in at Thailand. They have strange and weird ways there.
But, after 29 yrs are you really bothered about her?

My guess is the new man in her life wants her to go to his Country and she would need to be married to him but can't cos the marriage is still legal to you.....as regards you - you would be ok to re-marry if you wanted if you still in the UK.
Don't go paying a brief, all the forms at your local Courts - I believe the cost is around £400'ish.

Let us know how you get on.
Rs

Ok thanks ,, for the info

It's highly probable that your ex wife divorced you without your knowledge through the Courts on the basis of desertion under section 1516 of the Civil and Commercial Code

5. one spouse has been adjudged to have disappeared, or as left his or her domicile or residence for more than three years and being uncertain whether he or she is living or dead;

http://www.thailandlawonline.com/article-older-archive/thai-divorce-law-and-legal-grounds

However if the OP does indeed intend to remarry, he will need a divorce certificate as proof of being single.

He could swear an affidavit that he is single and never married, but that would be perjury.

He has two options:

1. Return to the Amphur where they married and find out if a divorce was registered. If so he can obtain a divorce certificate.

2. Apply for divorce through a local UK Court. You can file yourself for around £400 as someone already suggested.

It's highly probable that your ex wife divorced you without your knowledge through the Courts on the basis of desertion under section 1516 of the Civil and Commercial Code
5. one spouse has been adjudged to have disappeared, or as left his or her domicile or residence for more than three years and being uncertain whether he or she is living or dead;
http://www.thailandlawonline.com/article-older-archive/thai-divorce-law-and-legal-grounds

However if the OP does indeed intend to remarry, he will need a divorce certificate as proof of being single.
He could swear an affidavit that he is single and never married, but that would be perjury.

He has two options:
1. Return to the Amphur where they married and find out if a divorce was registered. If so he can obtain a divorce certificate.
2. Apply for divorce through a local UK Court. You can file yourself for around £400 as someone already suggested.

Ok thank you for your information [emoji3]

18 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Forgive my ignorance,but i thought i read somewhere that if he has not supported her,financially,for over a year,he was automatically divorced.This could be proved by bank statements or such.She would have to prove that shr received money,even if it was through Western Union,etc.Please enlighten me,as i am not sure.

There is no such thing as an "automatic divorce" ...you have to do the paperwork.  You may have grounds for a divorce ..but you have to do the paperwork!!!

As far as I know, supposing you  have name and birthdate, birthplace, or previous address, or ideally the Personal ID number, the status can be looked up by a Thai Lawyer in the National Database.
You can PM me, in case of interest, for a reference to a LawFirm that I found reliable.

On 1/29/2017 at 4:35 PM, happylarry said:

Hi Rod,

good news and bad news.....good news, yes it's a straightforward divorce because you have been separated for more than three years......bad news, you still have to use a lawyer and go through the court in order to do it.

HL

Not strictly true. I have just been through this after a 5 year separation.

However I found this website which may be able to help you:

http://www.quickie-divorce.com/

Archived