Yearly visa

44 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

Sorry I am guilty of trying to make a point and I thought that you were the OP whose second sentence does have 'married to a Thai".
My assumption is only that, my use of the word 'guess' is just lazyness. As I said Immigration has gone out of its way to accomodate as many situations as they can and still be faithful to The Act.
I am sure that you can see why I wouldn't realise that the fact of being married qualifies a person to a long-stay visa irrespective of his financial status. My experience is of the Thai Embassy in London, where although there is no sum mentioned, they ask for: monthly income, amount os saving(in which banks) . If consulates in adjacent contries have abandoned that requirement, I can't see why it should be required to obtain an extension at Immigration by reason of being married.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

10 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

Some do require proof some well one that i know off does not savanakhet. It would make little diffrence to me if they suddenly required proof I would still go for the non o route rather than the Yearly extension of stay. I encoparate my border runs with holidays if I can't or the wife can't close the shop I would go to immigration for a 60 day extension or even pop over to Laos on my own.

Indeed, Savannakhet are alone in this part of the world at least both in not requiring financial proof for non-O visas for marriage and in issuing such visas on a multi (as distinct from single) entry basis, I gather.

And, if I were in the unfortunate position of having Chiang Mai as my local immigration office like the OP, I would also be sorely tempted to travel to Savannakhet every 15 months for a fresh non-O followed by border runs every 90 days, in preference to having to deal with that wretched office (of which horror stories abound both here and on the local Chiang Mai forum) in submitting 90-day reports and applying for annual extensions of stay!

1 minute ago, OJAS said:

Indeed, Savannakhet are alone in this part of the world at least both in not requiring financial proof for non-O visas for marriage and in issuing such visas on a multi (as distinct from single) entry basis, I gather.

And, if I were in the unfortunate position of having Chiang Mai as my local immigration office like the OP, I would also be sorely tempted to travel to Savannakhet every 15 months for a fresh non-O followed by border runs every 90 days, in preference to having to deal with that wretched office (of which horror stories abound both here and on the local Chiang Mai forum) in submitting 90-day reports and applying for annual extensions of stay!

Fully agree. My office seems one of the better ones but my preferred option of non o suit me a lot better have tried all the options over the years. Now being completely retired I have no commitments to speak of. From time to time wife can't close shop on the dates around my 90 day run as I said there is the 60 day extension route. But genrally apart from those times and the last 60 day extension to bring up the 17 months we leave the country on holiday

• Like 1

I do sympathise with people in regions where the presence of people enjoying priviledges bestowed by a previous administration seems to be resented by some officers. I apologise if I misjudge people based on my experience of Bangkok where the officers appear to be better regulated.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect