Minivans out minibuses in! Face of the future of Thai travel revealed

webfact

5 hours ago, CelticBhoy said:

I don't use these very often, but may I be the first here to say something positive 

about the new vehicles. As a 6' 2" bloke I am delighted to see that I may finally

get some legroom and that I won't have to break my back bending over due to the

low roof space.

And....Your head will also be 8 inches closer to the roof when it flips over going around a curve. Ouch!!!

Until a proper Passenger Vehicle Service Test and Licence, vehicles governed down to max 100 kph and an on board management system which records how long and how fast the vehicle has been driven and is apot checked by Police.  If anything the carnage on the road will only get worse - the authorities need to get their heads of the the sand.

2 hours ago, cracker1 said:

" The vehicles can seat 21 and feature an auto-pay station for the convenience of the travelling public. "

Can anyone please tell me what an "auto-pay station" is ?

Probably a speaker with a coin-slot where you can choose your faith and language to give you your final rites...

yet another brainless idea - as many on this thread have already rightly said this will solve nothing and if anything increase the accident rates and injured/killed on the roads, these vehicles will be so much slower that the already lunatic drivers will take even more risks to try and cut 10mins of a journey.

The people coming up with these quite frankly ill informed and stupid solutions evidently have no idea what the real problems are - and there are many - bus size isn't one of them

I wonder who has the contract to supply the buses

I cannot put a vehicle manufacturer's name to the logo on the front of the bus but suspect that the manufacture has been entrusted to our quality division in far Cathay.

May have lapstrap seat belts only since there is a grab handle on the seatback in front and curtains to hang onto during violent deceleration.

Auto Pay Station is a robot arm attached to the entry stair which grabs money from your wallet to pay for insurance premiums. 

10 hours ago, cracker1 said:

" The vehicles can seat 21 and feature an auto-pay station for the convenience of the travelling public. "

coin in the slot turn style

download.jpg

11 hours ago, Lammbock said:

They should make some modifications to the engine to reduce max speed to a 100 kmh.

Would be better to make modifications to the drivers brain to reduce accidents. 100kmh down hill under brakes results in the same accidents whether speed modified or not. 

It's about driver skills, attitude, and intelligence.

When I need to travel a long distance I use a friend of the family who drives a mini-van. I trust him 100% compared to using a normal bus service and he charges a reasonable rate. Like most have said before, it is not the vehicle that is at fault but 99% of the time it is the driver or pressure they are being put under by their bosses to make as much money as possible regardless of possible accidents. Set all the mini vans with tachometers and speed limiters and that will fix about 60% of the accidents on Thailand's roads.

9 hours ago, robertson468 said:

Until a proper Passenger Vehicle Service Test and Licence, vehicles governed down to max 100 kph and an on board management system which records how long and how fast the vehicle has been driven and is apot checked by Police.  If anything the carnage on the road will only get worse - the authorities need to get their heads of the the sand.

Their heads aren't in the sand - far from it - usually something less than 1 metre above ground level for most Thai's. 

"Many felt that the bigger and more spacious vehicles would be safer and more convenient." How many is 'many'? Also, more convenient it may be, but safer? Well, it depends on that doped-up, drunk and sleepless idiot behind the wheel, doesn't it? Which brings me to the second quote: "The Thai government have announced they want to phase out minivans after many accidents." Again, blame the gun for killing people, not the person pulling the trigger. Seriously, in that stack of clowns, isn't there even one person - just ONE - with even a shade of intelligence, who can point out that it's the dumb idiots behind the wheel who are causing the accidents and deaths.

9 minutes ago, outsider said:

"Many felt that the bigger and more spacious vehicles would be safer and more convenient." How many is 'many'? Also, more convenient it may be, but safer? Well, it depends on that doped-up, drunk and sleepless idiot behind the wheel, doesn't it? Which brings me to the second quote: "The Thai government have announced they want to phase out minivans after many accidents." Again, blame the gun for killing people, not the person pulling the trigger. Seriously, in that stack of clowns, isn't there even one person - just ONE - with even a shade of intelligence, who can point out that it's the dumb idiots behind the wheel who are causing the accidents and deaths.

I agree, but the vehicle maintenance/safety checks are almost nonexistent too.

14 hours ago, outsider said:

When these government guys retire, they become minivan drivers - indicates the level of intelligence immediately.

On 1/31/2017 at 10:56 AM, cracker1 said:

I think they mean a lucky amulet issuing device. Auto-pay would mean the loss of thousands of clerical staff . We can't have that sort of thing here.

Archived