Viral "Kind hearted Thai Video" just a fake as millions conned

webfact

Viral "Kind hearted Thai Video" just a fake as millions conned

2a.jpg

Photo: Thairath

BANGKOK: -- Millions of Thai people were conned into believing that an act of kindness by a Thai man was the real thing.

In fact it was just a fake - though the poster said it was done with good intentions.

The clip of a man taking off his clothes down to his underwear and donating them to a shivering child in distress outside 7/11 was viewed by 5 million people in one day, reported Thairath.

And a staggering 77,000 people shared the story. Most praised the poster for his charitable attitude in promoting "Thainess", but some doubted this saying it could have been a set up.

And a set up it was.

Poster Tridanai Saetan admitted to Thai Rath online reporters that the video was staged with his sister on the camera and a neighbor playing the part of the shivering child.

It was shot outside the convenience store at the weekend in Koh Lanta, Krabi.

Tridanai said that he liked to make funny videos and this one was designed to make Thai people think how they could do good for others less fortunate than themselves.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-01-31

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whenever I do something nice, I like to document it on Facebook, etc. I mean if no one knows that you're doing it, what's the point?

I'm all for helping anyone who needs help. I don't feel the need to tell anyone and I expect nothing in return. I know this one is a fake, but people who feel the need to document stuff like this are simply towering narcissists. It's an ever growing and ugly problem in society. Too many people out there who think they're important and special. 

17 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Whenever I do something nice, I like to document it on Facebook, etc. I mean if no one knows that you're doing it, what's the point?

I'm all for helping anyone who needs help. I don't feel the need to tell anyone and I expect nothing in return. I know this one is a fake, but people who feel the need to document stuff like this are simply towering narcissists. It's an ever growing and ugly problem in society. Too many people out there who think they're important and special. 

Well perhaps there's another angle - maybe the guy was thinking something like:

'People just ignore the plight of others, just standard behaviors to ignore. Maybe if they see an example it might push some people to think more / take some action to help others in need.'

When I first came here 7 years ago I was told the story of the three circles.  You see...in Thai society people lumped into the 1st circle are ones close family ties.  Into the 2nd circle are friends and close business associates, and into the third circle are lumped all the other people that exist outside the 1st and 2nd circles, and these people are NON-EXISTENT to the average Thai. This 3rd circle is also the one where most of us expats are placed, and that is why we are for the most part INVISIBLE and UNIMPORTANT to the average Thai. That's the reality here, and that's the reason why Thais will never be charitable to those within their 3rd circle. There has to be a cultural shift before the typical Thai will have any compassion for his fellow man who is downtrodden, so don't expect that mindset to change any time soon.  Individual acts of kindness are rare, and you can bet that it is seldom done in secret.  On the contrary, the giver will make sure that his/her actions go public and they have something to gain in the process.  That's the Thainess that I have come to know and despise! 

36 minutes ago, scorecard said:

'People just ignore the plight of others, just standard behaviors to ignore. Maybe if they see an example it might push some people to think more / take some action to help others in need.'

The desperation of some sycophants is disappointing. 

1 hour ago, fittobethaied said:

When I first came here 7 years ago I was told the story of the three circles.  You see...in Thai society people lumped into the 1st circle are ones close family ties.  Into the 2nd circle are friends and close business associates, and into the third circle are lumped all the other people that exist outside the 1st and 2nd circles, and these people are NON-EXISTENT to the average Thai. This 3rd circle is also the one where most of us expats are placed, and that is why we are for the most part INVISIBLE and UNIMPORTANT to the average Thai. That's the reality here, and that's the reason why Thais will never be charitable to those within their 3rd circle. There has to be a cultural shift before the typical Thai will have any compassion for his fellow man who is downtrodden, so don't expect that mindset to change any time soon.  Individual acts of kindness are rare, and you can bet that it is seldom done in secret.  On the contrary, the giver will make sure that his/her actions go public and they have something to gain in the process.  That's the Thainess that I have come to know and despise! 

This is not only Thai, it is an Asian thing, particularly among Asian Chinese, and I think the whole concept originates from the Chinese culture actually. 

1 hour ago, fittobethaied said:

While I think there is a lot of truth in what you say, I have to add in fairness that I myself have experienced numerous acts of kindness from Thais whom I do not know and who have, on occasion, put themselves out in order to help  me. There are many good, 'ordinary' Thais - and that is why it saddens me to see so many potentially good people being downtrodden and kept oppressed by their cold and ruthless overlords - the types who only care about their 'inner circle'!

2 hours ago, Canceraid said:

Ah....Thailand...the hub of fakeness. Everything is a fake in thailand.

ehhh..... slow down , i am still trying to figure out the HUB of the tour de france via bangkok .....cheeeze one hub at a time ..

This video is designed to encourage farangs to strip to their bare undies whenever they see a needy Thai in the streets.  The farangs have to understand that "Thainess" is something to be revered upon, and from this day and this video, this should now be a natural reflex for farangs to do likewise. 

Begging is not shameful.  In fact the beggars are offering the farangs a platform to perform their kind acts.  It's called "tam boon".  Farangs need to see that giving money to Thais is a way of life for farangs in Thailand, even if it means at the end of the day you are only left with a pair of undies and flip-flops.

This is the only way that Thais want farangs to assimilate into the society.

2 hours ago, rkidlad said:

I agree, too many people think they are important and special when they should come to their senses and acknowlege i am the only important special person.

The video is so obviously staged and over the top - it is ridiculous. I also find - as others have hinted - that there is something disquieting about a guy stripping down to his underpants in front of a young child he does not know and manhandling him into his own shorts. I think that the message accompanying this video should be: 'Beware of potential sexual abuse if you are a homeless child out on the streets!'

If the video was designed to encourage generosity to the needy, I think it is ludicrous and risible in its scenario  - totally unrealistic. But then, so many Thais love their over-the-top soap operas that perhaps they can no longer distinguish fantasy from fact!

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Sure, it might do. Better to do something nice than nothing at all. Just wish more people took the attitude of being nice for the sake of being nice and not being rewarded. No reward - just be nice. Could be the foundation of many great precedents. 

Archived