Viral "Kind hearted Thai Video" just a fake as millions conned

webfact

Well, O.K.  So this was a fake scene, BUT, how often does this kind of thing go on in real life in Thailand?  At the very least this video brings this problem to the public's attention.  I would consider myself a failure as a human being if I walked past a shivering child and did nothing.  I hope I never find myself in that situation and if I do I hope I can do some good.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My way is give them nothing.if the shoe was on the other foot they would leave you naked and you would be sent to immigration detention centre for deportation.they all expect you to give them everything and then call you a stupid mug behind your back.i used to tip all the time,well that's gone out the window.when I gave tips my wife would get the bill and pocket the tip.she taught me that.

3 hours ago, mikebell said:

Thailand: fake brand-names; fake police; fake politicians; fake 'girl-friends; fake business; fake kindness.

Much like every other country in the world then, but you I reckon there will be good come from it even if it prompts just 1 random act of kindness. 

32 minutes ago, billmichael said:

Well, O.K.  So this was a fake scene, BUT, how often does this kind of thing go on in real life in Thailand?  At the very least this video brings this problem to the public's attention.  I would consider myself a failure as a human being if I walked past a shivering child and did nothing.  I hope I never find myself in that situation and if I do I hope I can do some good.

Good work and great attitude. 

2 hours ago, fittobethaied said:

When I first came here 7 years ago I was told the story of the three circles.  You see...in Thai society people lumped into the 1st circle are ones close family ties.  Into the 2nd circle are friends and close business associates, and into the third circle are lumped all the other people that exist outside the 1st and 2nd circles, and these people are NON-EXISTENT to the average Thai. This 3rd circle is also the one where most of us expats are placed, and that is why we are for the most part INVISIBLE and UNIMPORTANT to the average Thai. That's the reality here, and that's the reason why Thais will never be charitable to those within their 3rd circle. There has to be a cultural shift before the typical Thai will have any compassion for his fellow man who is downtrodden, so don't expect that mindset to change any time soon.  Individual acts of kindness are rare, and you can bet that it is seldom done in secret.  On the contrary, the giver will make sure that his/her actions go public and they have something to gain in the process.  That's the Thainess that I have come to know and despise! 

I found the three circles story a good representation of Thailand. I would add that almost all Thais think it is acceptable, even laudable for them to cheat, con, steal from anybody outside the first circle, if it is to benefit the people inside it. Some Thais will even rip off more distant family members if it is for the benefit of immediate family. And other Thais will defend their behaviour for this reason. I have encountered countless apologists for bar girls who prostitute themselves because they have to support their families. This is a very BIG part of Thainess in my opinion.

Never mind kind hearted man....................it should of read.   Man takes his shorts of and gets boy to remove his then rides off on his scooter wearing just his blue knickers with butt cleavage showing. If it was a felung that did it next day we would of read how he got nabbed and fined 10,000B.

7 hours ago, vadid said:

Pretty obvious it was fake, knew from the first time I saw it. You can see by the look in the kids eyes, as he supposedly woke up,  he knows the guy giving him the clothes.

Well......there you go ....seeing as we all know that the Thais are some of the worst actors ( just watch TV and the Thai movies ) .... or...their acting is as bad as it can get...then yeah....easy to  see it was fake....even if you were not forewarned

But still, other Thai people would want to hire those people for their good acting abilities...lol ...such are the standards here in Thailand

Cheers

the overriding cynicism, antipathy,  bitterness and outright racism so frequently expressed towards Thais & Thailand  in these forums  is causing me to be inclined to never read the comments again...

for the record, i have lived in Koh Lanta for 7+ years- not that it matters, except that it does (and i could probably ask anybody to find out who had posted the vid! -and probably know him as well)- when i first arrived, i was taken advantage of right and left by everybody; but this didn't just occur towards "farangs"; a Thai couple i knew who had come from Bkk to open a restaurant here complained that they had been cheated and taken advantage of by myriad locals (and the wife was even the niece of a very powerful former southern governor who actively owns a big resort here)...

BUT, once the locals saw that:

1) i came here NOT to impose my Western mindset & "values", but rather to learn and absorb the Thai culture, especially as it plays out here in the predominantly Muslim south

2) i immediately started teaching myself Thai language- not just speaking, but reading & writing

3) although i had been cheated, overcharged, and schemed against, the locals saw that i did NOT harden my heart nor hold grudges-

very soon, within the first year, the locals started to treat me as one of their own, warning me if somebody was trying to take advantage or cheat me, and even telling me in Thai when i had a bit of bad luck money-wise 1 1/2 years into being here, "dok mai (my Thai name) don't worry, don't think too much, keep a cool heart, this is your home, we love you and you aren't going anywhere!" (they continued) "talk to your landlord [who incidentally, is Muslim], she'll make your rent go DOWN!" (when have you ever heard THAT? and she DID, indeed, reduce my rent to what my Thai neighbors paid and even kept it lower when she raised theirs because i'm the only one who has put up living next to her [quite erratic and druggie/mafia] brother) THEN, they ALL said "are you alright? do you need something to eat dok mai?"

i have myriad other stories of REAL Thainess, REAL kreng jai, played out countless times towards me from Betong & Sadao all the way to Chiang Khan and travel through 38 provinces overall (so far)... but something tells me that you cynical whingers would rather hear yourselves complain about the people whose country you are living in... (and how many of you bitching about Thai people even have bothered to learn the Thai language beyond " สวัสดีค่ะ/ครับ " and " ขอบคุณค่ะ/ครับ " ??? -since i know that even many of you who speak a small smattering of Thai cannot actually read or write it, the words i just typed are "sawasdeeka/krab" and "kopkhunka/krab")

let me say THIS, if you DO live here and do NOT speak much of the language,

and dislike the locals and/or merely use them for sex or servicing your desires, then you are NOTHING more than modern day colonialists...

as for me, i happily live a 1-minute walk from THIS:

Heaven pix & logo 006.JPG

Where is the sequel to this video ?  The kind gentleman in his underwear rode off to a tourist spot where farangs were aplenty.  He sat on the floor outside another 7 Eleven stall shivering.  A kind farang trained in Thainess had compassion for him and took off his genuine Lacoste t-shirt that he bought from Central Chidlom and clothed the shivering Thai.  Seeing that the Thai continued to shiver in the hot weather of Bangkok, the farang took off his pants he bought from Khao San.  Soon the farang was left with his fake Calvin Klein undies.  Suddenly 5 young Thais dashed out from nowhere and started kicking the farang for another lesson in Thainess.

23 hours ago, jenifer d said:

the overriding cynicism, antipathy,  bitterness and outright racism so frequently expressed towards Thais & Thailand  in these forums  is causing me to be inclined to never read the comments again...

for the record, i have lived in Koh Lanta for 7+ years- not that it matters, except that it does (and i could probably ask anybody to find out who had posted the vid! -and probably know him as well)- when i first arrived, i was taken advantage of right and left by everybody; but this didn't just occur towards "farangs"; a Thai couple i knew who had come from Bkk to open a restaurant here complained that they had been cheated and taken advantage of by myriad locals (and the wife was even the niece of a very powerful former southern governor who actively owns a big resort here)...

1) i came here NOT to impose my Western mindset & "values", but rather to learn and absorb the Thai culture, especially as it plays out here in the predominantly Muslim south

2) i immediately started teaching myself Thai language- not just speaking, but reading & writing

3) although i had been cheated, overcharged, and schemed against, the locals saw that i did NOT harden my heart nor hold grudges-

very soon, within the first year, the locals started to treat me as one of their own, warning me if somebody was trying to take advantage or cheat me, and even telling me in Thai when i had a bit of bad luck money-wise 1 1/2 years into being here, "dok mai (my Thai name) don't worry, don't think too much, keep a cool heart, this is your home, we love you and you aren't going anywhere!" (they continued) "talk to your landlord [who incidentally, is Muslim], she'll make your rent go DOWN!" (when have you ever heard THAT? and she DID, indeed, reduce my rent to what my Thai neighbors paid and even kept it lower when she raised theirs because i'm the only one who has put up living next to her [quite erratic and druggie/mafia] brother) THEN, they ALL said "are you alright? do you need something to eat dok mai?"

i have myriad other stories of REAL Thainess, REAL kreng jai, played out countless times towards me from Betong & Sadao all the way to Chiang Khan and travel through 38 provinces overall (so far)... but something tells me that you cynical whingers would rather hear yourselves complain about the people whose country you are living in... (and how many of you bitching about Thai people even have bothered to learn the Thai language beyond " สวัสดีค่ะ/ครับ " and " ขอบคุณค่ะ/ครับ " ??? -since i know that even many of you who speak a small smattering of Thai cannot actually read or write it, the words i just typed are "sawasdeeka/krab" and "kopkhunka/krab")

and dislike the locals and/or merely use them for sex or servicing your desires, then you are NOTHING more than modern day colonialists...

Good work well said and I concer

On ‎31‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 1:11 PM, jenifer d said:

Exactly.  I am of the same opinion as you. 

I have lived full time here for over 10 years rural Chiang Mai.

I have met some of the kindest, most generous and kind hearted people since being here.  I have been lucky to meet some really good Thai friends and feel like part of their families.  I have been surprised by their generosity many times and their genuine affection and concern for me... giving a lot to me with no agenda or wanting anything in return. 

Of course, there are good and bad people anywhere you go in the world.  I think many farangs bring disaster and troubles upon themselves by their attitude, behavior and  personality.  I see many farangs treating their Thai partners like commodities, acting superior to Thais, disrespecting the Thai culture and way of life, and generally going against the grain all the way... then wondering why they have no true love or friendships.... not even with their fellow farangs, and then they get bitter and start blaming everyone else for their problems.

If people are going to loudly flash around their money, keep buying themselves out of everything, thinking money is a way to control their girlfriends, then what can they expect when they get ripped off... what kind of people are they hanging around with every day?

On 31.01.2017 at 5:19 AM, fittobethaied said:

When I first came here 7 years ago I was told the story of the three circles.  You see...in Thai society people lumped into the 1st circle are ones close family ties.  Into the 2nd circle are friends and close business associates, and into the third circle are lumped all the other people that exist outside the 1st and 2nd circles, and these people are NON-EXISTENT to the average Thai. This 3rd circle is also the one where most of us expats are placed, and that is why we are for the most part INVISIBLE and UNIMPORTANT to the average Thai. That's the reality here, and that's the reason why Thais will never be charitable to those within their 3rd circle. There has to be a cultural shift before the typical Thai will have any compassion for his fellow man who is downtrodden, so don't expect that mindset to change any time soon.  Individual acts of kindness are rare, and you can bet that it is seldom done in secret.  On the contrary, the giver will make sure that his/her actions go public and they have something to gain in the process.  That's the Thainess that I have come to know and despise! 

Based on my own 7-year experience in Thailand, I'm inclined to say this observation is only marginally true...  

On ‎2017‎-‎01‎-‎31 at 10:19 AM, fittobethaied said:

On ‎2017‎-‎01‎-‎31 at 11:26 AM, AlQaholic said:

This is not only Thai, it is an Asian thing, particularly among Asian Chinese, and I think the whole concept originates from the Chinese culture actually. 

Not really/exclusively a Chinese or even Asian phenomenon. Some psychologists have suggested that cultures vary along 5 or 6 dimensions. One of those dimensions is individualism-collectivism. The US is an example of a highly individualistic society, while China (and probably Thailand)  is on the collectivist side of the spectrum. Now some sources will describe collectivism as placing the well-being of the group above that of the individual, but there is an important nuance that is often missed: it all comes down to how we define the 'group'. And it seems that collectivists make harder distinctions between in the in-group and the outgroup ('outsiders'). So collectivists may be more self-sacrificing and generous toward people in their group (however, that is defined), compared to individualists, and less so toward people they see as outsiders. This is what the first poster is referring to. That said, it's a feature of many (perhaps most) non-Western societies around the world, so I'm not sure we should be so quick to condemn Thais in particular for it ... and of course, they would then have the right to condemn us individualists for our 'lack' of caring and self-sacrifice toward family members and friends.    

On 31/01/2017 at 10:26 AM, AlQaholic said:

This is not only Thai, it is an Asian thing, particularly among Asian Chinese, and I think the whole concept originates from the Chinese culture actually. 

What can they know of Thailand, who only Thailand know?

On 1/30/2017 at 9:48 PM, jollyhangmon said:

... certainly true, but at least it got some 77k + people to think in the right direction in this case ... 

Yes. That's true. If it can spur others to do some good, it's not a bad thing. It's the self-glorification I don't like. 

Archived