Bank ripped me off for 100,000 baht claims woman

webfact

Bank ripped me off for 100,000 baht claims woman

4p.jpg

Photo: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- A Thai woman has gone to Bangkok police claiming that an assistant manager of a bank forged her signature on life insurance documents.

Kanda Saitham, 36, an online businesswoman, claims that the employee siphoned off the cash in two yearly instalments stealing 127,900 baht, reported Daily News.

She only realized this week that the money had been taken from her account when her credit card expired and she became aware of a third instalment of 63,950 baht was due.

She said she went to the bank and confronted the employee who she had known for ten years and who admitted everything and returned the money to her from her own pocket.

But Kanda wanted police to proceed with a prosecution. Chana Songkram, Bangkok, police summonsed the employee of the Banglamphu branch last week who then denied everything.

They are now investigating the case further. The employee could face 3 years jail for forgery.

Police warned the public to always check their accounts for transactions.

The bank was not named.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-01-31

4 hours ago, webfact said:

She said she went to the bank and confronted the employee who she had known for ten years and who admitted everything and returned the money to her from her own pocket.

But Kanda wanted police to proceed with a prosecution. 

Good for her. 

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

She was hardly robbed by the bank......she was robbed by a person who worked at the bank.

Dotpoom...come on, come on ...where is your sense of media sensationalism for the sake of creating revenues and stirring up public emotions.

Misconstruing peoples statements and grandiose embellishment on what was actually said or actually happened is an age old art form, supposedly,  and better known as "muckracking journalism"  in its many forms.

Boring headlines do not attract the attentions of the public in the same volumes as when a simple story has journalistic "Bling" added for effect...lol

Cheers

1 hour ago, thai3 said:

In the past I have been done out of 40k then 1.5k,  complaints to bank and consumer protection office got nowhere, or even a reply.

What happen? You never followed up to get your money???

1 hour ago, thai3 said:

In the past I have been done out of 40k then 1.5k,  complaints to bank and consumer protection office got nowhere, or even a reply.

Are you talking about here in Thailand or another country.

If here in Thailand I am not surprised  at all, as they will do near everything to not account for any money gone missing.

However I am certain SOME , a FEW ...once in a Blue Moon maybe ...some people are compensated correctly ...but probably took them years and years and years and ...Geeez :

"This former bank client is really being a major pain in the ass"...

"Just pay him off so we can move on"

"I mean the nerve of some uppity individual actually chasing us down for 10 years over 92,369 Baht. .....and 4 Satang...... and then the audacity to demand interest on top of the principle....lol

Cheers

4 minutes ago, bimmerbob said:

Why don't you simply tell them you'd like to see what you are signing for? Pretty dumb to sign up to anything anywhere, especially in LOS.

I don't have much money in Thailand, and it's usually for thing like requesting a document (for immigration), or changing a phone number.
I know what I'm signing for with the title and content of the document, but it's always asked before they fill it for me, unless that's a form I filled myself.

3 minutes ago, SymS said:

I don't have much money in Thailand, and it's usually for thing like requesting a document (for immigration), or changing a phone number.
I know what I'm signing for with the title and content of the document, but it's always asked before they fill it for me, unless that's a form I filled myself.

In the context of this thread, that's not how your comment came across to me...........Ok, apologies!

3 hours ago, dotpoom said:

She was hardly robbed by the bank......she was robbed by a person who worked at the bank.

Are you suggesting that the customer should have gone directly to the home of the bank employee and not to the bank in order to seek re-imbursement?

3 hours ago, dotpoom said:

no...no...no... robbed by the bank . employee a bank  person  = bank . what are you smoking ? at least pass it around .

Sounds like neither the bank nor the employee actually "stole" 127K from the customer. Rather the employee may have signed the customer up to a life insurance policy for which the premiums so far amount to 127k.

Still fraudulent of course, if the employee did indeed forge the customers signature.

Bank staff earn commissions selling those policies and sometimes they make buying a life policy a condition for pushing through a loan or credit card application. Reading between the lines in the op, that might be what happened here.

That's why I check the balance, I have in the bank for retirement extension,regularly as

this is not the first time a bank employee has stolen from customers accounts and it will

not be the last.

regards Worgeordie

Only  100k?

My pal had his house fraudulently converted to thieves. 

The bank was asked to sort it as the manager was the key player. The woman who "borrowed" had three debts already registered against her, earned 10k a month and was able to get a loan of 13.5 million baht.

"Not our problem. He has left the bank now" 

Yes...seriously this was/is their position!!!

I recollect some years back that I'd been back to my home country for a couple of years, and when I returned to Thailand I went to use my bank account held in Hua Hin only to find it had been closed. When I enquired in the branch, I was told that all accounts if stagnant for 6 months are automatically closed, company policy. Whilst the loss of money didn't bother me at the time as there was little money in the account, I was more concerned with losing the account, but it got me thinking how many foreigners leave accounts dormant with a small amount of money, a nice little earner for the bank.

34 minutes ago, thedemon said:

Sounds like neither the bank nor the employee actually "stole" 127K from the customer. Rather the employee may have signed the customer up to a life insurance policy for which the premiums so far amount to 127k.

Still fraudulent of course, if the employee did indeed forge the customers signature.

Bank staff earn commissions selling those policies and sometimes they make buying a life policy a condition for pushing through a loan or credit card application. Reading between the lines in the op, that might be what happened here.

Yes I like this theory. She may possibly have even agreed to it, or at least a padded version of the policy only to find out much later down the track that she had been lied to over the T&Cs. I think its likely 'TheDemon' is on the money or not far from the mark. A theft is unlikely in these positions as it is just so easy to be caught and the bank will not support her. Though if she conned an insurance sale or similar it is vastly different.

Archived