Lentil Beans

yak

yeah...I would like to know as well. I can't believe that simple items like dried pulses are not widely available in Thailand. You can get the stinkiest, most exotic items in the world but no beans??? No red kidneys (hence no chilli beans), no chick peas (hence no hoummous)...it all combines to make a bean salad the most exotic dish in Thailand.

go ahead and tell me to go back where I came from...I'll find you and kill your family :o

Where do I by lentil beans in Bangkok? Local markets, Lemon Farm, Tesco/Lotus and Tops do not have them. Would Phahurat really be the last solution?

how about villa supermarket , siam paragon( supermarket ) and the emporium( supermarket )?

Edited by BambinA

yeah...pulses feature greatly in middle eastern and south asian cuisine. But there is a chauvanism with thai food...either accept it or the devil beware...I'm oiling up the pump action sawed off 12 gauge...don't know how much more of this shit I can take...

bambi?...please come and comfort me...I don't want to become homicidal (sob)...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Yeah, the farang stores often have CANNED chickpeas. But I would think Indian ones would have the real deal.

canned chick peas are cool...saves the soaking and the cooking which can be extensive. Canned peas with a big dollop of sesame tahini and some garlic and lime juice in the blender an' bob's yer uncle for a good hoummous...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

bambi?...please come and comfort me...I don't want to become homicidal (sob)...

oh dear.. you can find the lentil in some supermarkets in BKK as i mented

my parents got it from there plus other peas.. they cook peas with rice.. i know its good for health but i just dont like it... some kind of pea looks like tick .. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

indian lentil soup is fine for me

PS.. mummy daddy .. if you love me indeed.. dont put any tick tea in rice.... i have enough from my vet carreer .booohooo :o

PS2 the tick pea is not the lentil .. it looks like Castor Bean

castor1.gif

bambi...you have not lived unless you have had a nice lentil stew with onions, carrots assorted spices and flavored with a nice big ham hock...eat with toast on a cold day...

a nice indian dahl goes down good if you can get all the spices (whole cumin, coriander, mustard seed, fennel)...good comfort food...

also does well for the digestive system...great bowel movements afterwards...

bambi...you have not lived unless you have had a nice lentil stew with onions, carrots assorted spices and flavored with a nice big ham hock...eat with toast on a cold day...

a nice indian dahl goes down good if you can get all the spices (whole cumin, coriander, mustard seed, fennel)...good comfort food...

i have taken lentil soup from some indian ristorantes in LOS and Sanfran cisco(maharani) http://www.maharanirestaurant.com/ lovely ..but i dont know its the same soup that you 've mented

i just blame my parents abit about the tick pea ei ei :o

i have taken lentil soup from some indian ristorantes in LOS and Sanfran cisco(maharani) http://www.maharanirestaurant.com/ lovely ..but i dont know its the same soup that you 've mented

i just blame my parents abit about the tick pea ei ei :o

nah...the stew that I mentioned is an eastern european dish...good for the cold weather...I got the recipie from a russian jewish woman, just added the ham hock as I knew that it would compliment the dish...my southern US grandma used to add a bit of hog jowl to a lot of things for a bit of extra grease and flavor...got the idea from her...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

depends what lentils you are looking for, i have seen the dahl type lentils, green and yellow in Tesco, villa also have a good selection, alternatively try the indian supermarkets, one on the corner of Soi 12 and there is one tucked away on Soi 10.

depends what lentils you are looking for, i have seen the dahl type lentils, green and yellow in Tesco, villa also have a good selection, alternatively try the indian supermarkets, one on the corner of Soi 12 and there is one tucked away on Soi 10.

ye gotta watch out at tescos...I bought what I thought were yellow lentils once and made some dahl...crunchy texture...I looked more closely and found that they were yellow split peas!