Windows 10 Login Password

alphason

I have Windows 10 Pro, it has been set up for a long time to auto log in on start up, but for the last 3 days I get a message saying something like can not connect to login, I then have to manually log in with password, nearly always the 1st attempt says its wrong (I am 99% sure it isn't) but then on the 2nd attempt I can always login ok.

The automatic sign in is still set up, but its failing to do it. Is there a way to fix this, I don;t want to have to sign in every time I restart, Thanks.

Thanks, this is what I did a long time ago and had been working up until 3 days ago. If I go back to netplwiz now the check box is still unchecked.

To make it easier than a passowrd I thought I would set up a pin, but when I restarted it didn't ask me for a PIN just my usual password, this time the screen said password incorrect (for the auto entered password), so I have removed the PIN code again now and back to square one.

What about setting up a local account instead,  I read you can have a local account set up to have no password (??), no sure what other issues I would have by not using a microsoft acount.

19 minutes ago, Chicog said:

Check the event log, something is amiss.

Not really sure what I am looking for.

This is the summary of administrative events, if I click the one that says audit failure it says account failed to log on, but this event seems to appear very often going back into last year so its not new, the problem has ony been the last 3 days.

event viewer.jpg

1 hour ago, Chicog said:

What are the events in Audit Failure?  (EventID and Description).

Thanks,

Event ID:4625 Source:Microsoft Windows Security Auditing Log:Security

If I double click an entry I get the following in the General Tab:

Log Name:      Security
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing
Date:          01-Feb-17 11:24:51 AM
Event ID:      4625
Task Category: Logon
Level:         Information
Keywords:      Audit Failure
User:          N/A
Computer:      acer-PC
Description:
An account failed to log on.

Subject:
    Security ID:        SYSTEM
    Account Name:        ACER-PC$
    Account Domain:        WORKGROUP
    Logon ID:        0x3E7

Logon Type:            5

Account For Which Logon Failed:
    Security ID:        NULL SID
    Account Name:        -
    Account Domain:        -

Failure Information:
    Failure Reason:        An Error occured during Logon.
    Sub Status:        0xC0000073

Process Information:
    Caller Process ID:    0x8
    Caller Process Name:    C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe

Network Information:
    Workstation Name:    -
    Source Network Address:    -
    Source Port:        -

Detailed Authentication Information:
    Logon Process:        Advapi  
    Authentication Package:    Negotiate
    Transited Services:    -
    Package Name (NTLM only):    -
    Key Length:        0

This event is generated when a logon request fails. It is generated on the computer where access was attempted.

The Subject fields indicate the account on the local system which requested the logon. This is most commonly a service such as the Server service, or a local process such as Winlogon.exe or Services.exe.

The Logon Type field indicates the kind of logon that was requested. The most common types are 2 (interactive) and 3 (network).

The Process Information fields indicate which account and process on the system requested the logon.

The Network Information fields indicate where a remote logon request originated. Workstation name is not always available and may be left blank in some cases.

The authentication information fields provide detailed information about this specific logon request.
    - Transited services indicate which intermediate services have participated in this logon request.
    - Package name indicates which sub-protocol was used among the NTLM protocols.
    - Key length indicates the length of the generated session key. This will be 0 if no session key was requested.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing" Guid="{54849625-5478-4994-A5BA-3E3B0328C30D}" />
    <EventID>4625</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>0</Level>
    <Task>12544</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8010000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-02-01T04:24:51.724555300Z" />
    <EventRecordID>77395</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation ActivityID="{5408851B-7C42-0000-3F85-0854427CD201}" />
    <Execution ProcessID="760" ThreadID="68" />
    <Channel>Security</Channel>
    <Computer>acer-PC</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="SubjectUserSid">S-1-5-18</Data>
    <Data Name="SubjectUserName">ACER-PC$</Data>
    <Data Name="SubjectDomainName">WORKGROUP</Data>
    <Data Name="SubjectLogonId">0x3e7</Data>
    <Data Name="TargetUserSid">S-1-0-0</Data>
    <Data Name="TargetUserName">-</Data>
    <Data Name="TargetDomainName">-</Data>
    <Data Name="Status">0xc0000073</Data>
    <Data Name="FailureReason">%%2304</Data>
    <Data Name="SubStatus">0xc0000073</Data>
    <Data Name="LogonType">5</Data>
    <Data Name="LogonProcessName">Advapi  </Data>
    <Data Name="AuthenticationPackageName">Negotiate</Data>
    <Data Name="WorkstationName">-</Data>
    <Data Name="TransmittedServices">-</Data>
    <Data Name="LmPackageName">-</Data>
    <Data Name="KeyLength">0</Data>
    <Data Name="ProcessId">0x8</Data>
    <Data Name="ProcessName">C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe</Data>
    <Data Name="IpAddress">-</Data>
    <Data Name="IpPort">-</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Strange, I can see a whole list of error codes associated with that event, but none of them are 0X....73.

Firstly, I would revert back from Auto login to manual login; it maybe that something that is stored is corrupted.

If you find that manual logon works fine every time, then (if you must) go back to Auto login and see what it does; when you put in those credentials it will hopefully overwrite what is stored (if they aren't removed when you switch to manual).

The other thing you could try is a cheap fingerprint reader, I have them on both of my Win 10 systems, swipe and it opens. Not an inconvenience but maintains security.

TBH even a four digit PIN, which you can use instead of a password, is barely an obstacle.

11 hours ago, alphason said:

Thanks, this is what I did a long time ago and had been working up until 3 days ago. If I go back to netplwiz now the check box is still unchecked.

To make it easier than a passowrd I thought I would set up a pin, but when I restarted it didn't ask me for a PIN just my usual password, this time the screen said password incorrect (for the auto entered password), so I have removed the PIN code again now and back to square one.

What about setting up a local account instead,  I read you can have a local account set up to have no password (??), no sure what other issues I would have by not using a microsoft acount.

After you have setup the PIN, the first time you login you may need to click Sign-in options which will then expose the icons shown below. You need to select the keypad icon and then enter your PIN

myce-windows-10-login.png

Thanks I will try the suggestions and report back later.

BTW this is the exact wording that comes up "We are unable to connect right now, Please check your network and try again later", I notice that the wifi connection bottom right is not connected, but I can enter my passowrd and log in anyway.

Why do I need to be connected to turn my comuter on anyway, what if there is nothing to connect to?

PS I have had problems with my Acer Aspire E1 431G with Broadcom 802.11 network adaptor, the driver microsoft installs just keeps disconnecting, so I use an older driver and this works but I get an error message every day in compatability centre saying this app can't run on this PC - but it does and has being doing so for a long time - not sure if any connection to this new problem but as I said it worked before for a long time.

Thank you.

Thanks for your help, that seemed to work...

Windows R > netplwiz > check "user must enter a username and password to enter this computer" > Apply > OK > Restart PC

Entered password on restart then go back to netplwiz and UNcheck the box, reenter password, restart again, this time it did not ask for for the password.

Thank you.

6 hours ago, Chicog said:

There are different ways to login in - you can use a Microsoft account and I assume this would need online connection.

Or you can just create a local userid and password. This is recommended.

Yes thanks, I was readig about a local account, seems like a better idea.

• 6 months later...
On 2/2/2017 at 0:55 PM, Chicog said:

There are different ways to login in - you can use a Microsoft account and I assume this would need online connection.

Or you can just create a local userid and password. This is recommended.

Another way is to enable hidden admin account and use that account for login. After that, you can reset password for other accounts.

Archived