Myanmar 6-month business visa is it multiple entry?

jimster

Hi everyone,

I am heading to Myanmar very soon on a business trip and have an invitation letter which requests that the issuing consulate/embassy issue me with a 6-month business visa. If I apply on the e-visa website presumably I can only get a single entry visa, right?

Would I be able to get a 6-month multiple entry business visa at the Myanmar embassy in Bangkok? If so, how much would it cost? The e-visa, which I have used multiple times now for tourist visas avoids the need for a visa sticker in your passport, but on the other hand a multiple entry business visa would help me in that I wouldn't have to apply for a new visa for every entry. This will be my second business visa and my company expects to make an investment in Myanmar requiring frequent travel to the country.

Would it be best in my case just to get a multiple entry business visa to cover my visits in the future? I expect to visit the country at least once a month once our factory is up and running.

yes, Myanmar Embassy issued multiple entry visa, 3 months, 6 months or 1 year. However, they have increased the business visa prices last December:

Standard 70 days’ single visa. 2,000 THB 

Business Visa 3 months’ multiple entry. DO NOT need to exit after 70 days: 8,000 THB

Business Visa 6 months’ multiple entry. DO NOT need to exit after 70 days: 16,000 THB

Business Visa 1 year multiple entry. 24,000 THB (need to exit every 70 days)

I am getting the 1 year multiple entry every years for the last few years and I was paying 10,000THB. I got my last in November, just before they increased the price.

Until now, providing a LOI, company documents and photos is enough to get the visa. Apply in the morning and you can get your passport back in the afternoon (3PM).

Now, you can make your own calculations to decide for multiple entry or visa on arrival (50 USD / entry)

3 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

are sure its only $50?  why would it be the same price as a tourist visa

the online business visa is $70

Yes 100% sure. I used to get that VOA the first few times I came to Myanmar for work and was paying $50, then I went to the road of multiple entry 1 year as in / out very often. But my expats staff are getting this business VOA for $50.

As long as you got Letter of invitation for local company + company documents + photos, you can get this Business VOA in Yangon Airport, Mandalay Airport and Nay Py Taw Airport. At least that's where my staff have been able to get one.

2 hours ago, jphasia said:

Yes 100% sure. I used to get that VOA the first few times I came to Myanmar for work and was paying $50, then I went to the road of multiple entry 1 year as in / out very often. But my expats staff are getting this business VOA for $50.

As long as you got Letter of invitation for local company + company documents + photos, you can get this Business VOA in Yangon Airport, Mandalay Airport and Nay Py Taw Airport. At least that's where my staff have been able to get one.

Ah, I know what you mean.

The US$50 business VOA only applies to arrivals by air. The US$70 business e-visa is also applicable for arrivals by land and is a new scheme, only available since Sep 1, 2016. I can't choose the former because I always travel by land. The main places of interest to our business are in the provinces not far from the Thai border hence why I have a choice of only the visa in advance applied for at the embassy or the business e-visa.

Thanks for your great summary - while 16000 Baht is quite a lot, it might still be worth applying for.

2 hours ago, jimster said:

Ah, I know what you mean.

The US$50 business VOA only applies to arrivals by air. The US$70 business e-visa is also applicable for arrivals by land and is a new scheme, only available since Sep 1, 2016. I can't choose the former because I always travel by land. The main places of interest to our business are in the provinces not far from the Thai border hence why I have a choice of only the visa in advance applied for at the embassy or the business e-visa.

Thanks for your great summary - while 16000 Baht is quite a lot, it might still be worth applying for.

ok, I understand.I don't have knowledges about land border crossing as I am only traveling by air (Yangon or Mandalay).

yes, that's also what I mean about the cost. Quite expensive for the multiple entries but might be easier. Mostly depends on your travel frequencies. For myself, based in Yangon and going back to Thailand few times a month, no hassle about visa with a multiple entry. I don't need to think about getting the letter of invitation prior to travel...I can leave anytime and return anytime.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I got a six month social visa at bangkok embassy  after having left and returned to myanmar twice on social visa and before that on tourist visa.  It cost me 13000 baht as I was of the opinion that I didn't need to leave myanmar until the visa was nearly up but when I arrived at mandalay airport the guy at the counter only gave me 70 days which I did't see until I went past the counter. I went back and questioned him (which he was not too happy about and he just brushed me away saying no no 70 days exit.) The lady at the Embassy said I did not have to leave after 70 days and if I did why would I pay 13000 baht when I could have got away with 3000 baht. I'm situated in Bagan and it's quite an expensive trip to Thailand every 70 days . If there is anyone out there who can explain the situation I would be grateful as my 70 days are up in about a fortnight.

P.S. I am married to a Myanmar lady and am registered with all the local authorities regarding immigration and residing here.

Archived