Living month to month in Bangkok and elsewhere in LOS

Hello, I'm looking for a place to stay for maybe 3 months in Bangkok.  But I'm finding it hard to find a nice condo downtown Bangkok without committing to a 6 month lease at least.  Real estate agents are telling me owners don't want to rent for that short of a time period.  What kind of options do I have for month to month rentals here?  Where should I look for info?  Thanks

5 hours ago, Mrjlh said:

Try here http://www.winlongplace.com/

Been improved a lot  since I was there 10 yrs ago.  Still not the Riz but worth checking on.

Thanks, that's at least proof of concept.  I'm hoping to find something close to the Asok area or Prom Pong for obvious reasons.  I'm pretty sure with enough money anything I want is available, but I also don't want to be TOO spendy.  LOL  In other words I guess I'm asking for a lot.  

Thanks, that's at least proof of concept.  I'm hoping to find something close to the Asok area or Prom Pong for obvious reasons.  I'm pretty sure with enough money anything I want is available, but I also don't want to be TOO spendy.  LOL  In other words I guess I'm asking for a lot.  

Airbnb, Serviced Apartments, do a deal with a hotel for monthly rates, even booking.com/Adoda do "Holiday Rentals" nowadays.

Used Airbnb for a 1 month Stay at the Trendy Apartments in SOI 13 (IIRC a Studio cost me 30k for 30 days) process worked well though I wouldn't recommend that particular place to stay.

Do you have a budget in mind?

21 minutes ago, JB300 said:

Airbnb, Serviced Apartments, do a deal with a hotel for monthly rates, even booking.com/Adoda do "Holiday Rentals" nowadays.

Used Airbnb for a 1 month Stay at the Trendy Apartments in SOI 13 (IIRC a Studio cost me 30k for 30 days) process worked well though I wouldn't recommend that particular place to stay.

Do you have a budget in mind?

Well, I'm willing to get to 25,000 baht, maybe even more for a good place.  I know I can get a nice place with a gym and a pool and about 39 sq meters for 25k at the new place next to Trendy, but that's with a 6 month contract.  Trendy goes for about 18k or so as I recall.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Im signing up to a condo today or tomorrow on 6 month lease very central location. I know they have other rooms available (I think). I can ask them. They do around 25,000 baht per month in a very nice condo. I'm urgently just looking for a 6 month contract that is nice. These guys will do daily rates too at around 1000-1500 baht.

Hi,

Im signing up to a condo today or tomorrow on 6 month lease very central location. I know they have other rooms available (I think). I can ask them. They do around 25,000 baht per month in a very nice condo. I'm urgently just looking for a 6 month contract that is nice. These guys will do daily rates too at around 1000-1500 baht. They have leases for all lengths, just the price will defer. When I sign a lease with them, I will let them know about you. (Which should be tomorrow anyway)

"Used Airbnb for a 1 month Stay at the Trendy Apartments in SOI 13"

LOL, that's because there is a sign in the trendy elevator saying it is illegal to rent out daily or weekly rents i suppose. So much monthly now ;)

Hi,

Im signing up to a condo today or tomorrow on 6 month lease very central location. I know they have other rooms available (I think). I can ask them. They do around 25,000 baht per month in a very nice condo. I'm urgently just looking for a 6 month contract that is nice. These guys will do daily rates too at around 1000-1500 baht. They have leases for all lengths, just the price will defer. When I sign a lease with them, I will let them know about you. (Which should be tomorrow anyway)

"Used Airbnb for a 1 month Stay at the Trendy Apartments in SOI 13"

LOL, that's because there is a sign in the trendy elevator saying it is illegal to rent out daily or weekly rents i suppose. So much monthly now [emoji6]

Absolutely & the landlady greeted me in the lobby with a big hug & kiss (making it out like I'm a long lost friend).

If the room you're renting is 1k a night, I'd be looking to do them a favour & give them 15k pm for a 6 month contract

3 minutes ago, DjChris28 said:

Well according to several agent sites, the room would be 17k - 18k on a 12 month lease with no maid. But the room is 25k on a 6 month lease and with maid included, netflix and also internet in a very nice condo. I think it's about right.

I agree, it's a reasonable price to me.  

Lol, I'm at fraser suites right now. I don't think that would be in his budget. I saw they did monthly for 60k. I havn't enquired though. 

So, if you don't mind going about 40k,

Aspen suites will do a room monthly for 44k including taxes all utilities paid.

Citadines 11 will do 38k which includes electricity to a certain level, after that you pay.

citadines 16 also do monthly (You need to ask price).

all these places will do around 45-50k per month.

Silom Covet garden will do some monthly.

25,000 for 3 months is hard in a nice apartment. The one i'm in is really nice for that price on monthly rates but I don't sign contract until tuesday, so I can let them know about you on tuesday.

Just now, DjChris28 said:

Lol, I'm at fraser suites right now. I don't think that would be in his budget. I saw they did monthly for 60k. I havn't enquired though. 

So, if you don't mind going about 40k,

Aspen suites will do a room monthly for 44k including taxes all utilities paid.

Citadines 11 will do 38k which includes electricity to a certain level, after that you pay.

citadines 16 also do monthly (You need to ask price).

all these places will do around 45-50k per month.

Silom Covet garden will do some monthly.

25,000 for 3 months is hard in a nice apartment. The one i'm in is really nice for that price on monthly rates but I don't sign contract until tuesday, so I can let them know about you on tuesday.

I got a good deal there before on a 2 bedroom suite for 50k a month for 2 months all in including electric and HI speed wifi. The advertised price was nearly 80k. It was nearly 90sqm so maybe a deal on a smaller suite is possible? I know they will do a deal if staying a long period but if they will come down to what the OP needs, I'm not sure.
By the way, try to chicken stall outside the 7/11 lol

I have found a good condo, called The Edge on Suk 23.  40 square meters for 37,500, brand new, I'm the first tenant.  Excellent location, and I'm happy.  I wish I had been more patient but there are plenty of condos out there if you're willing to shake a few coins out of your pocket it seems.  

14 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

I have found a good condo, called The Edge on Suk 23.  40 square meters for 37,500, brand new, I'm the first tenant.  Excellent location, and I'm happy.  I wish I had been more patient but there are plenty of condos out there if you're willing to shake a few coins out of your pocket it seems.  

For a new condo in that area of that size, that's an ok price. It isn't a cheap area for a decent place.

13 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

For a new condo in that area of that size, that's an ok price. It isn't a cheap area for a decent place.

Normal rent seems to be about 1000 per square meter in this building, more for the upper floors actually.  It's 100 feet from Soi Cowboy, so prime location in terms of convenience.  :-) And yet quiet.  

On Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 5:58 PM, wealthychef said:

Normal rent seems to be about 1000 per square meter in this building, more for the upper floors actually.  It's 100 feet from Soi Cowboy, so prime location in terms of convenience.  :-) And yet quiet.  

Is that on a 3 month contract? short term contract thats actually pretty good. The real estate agent was trying to sell me 50sqm for 40k per month on a top floor in 15 sukhumvit residences in nana 12 month contract. Thought it was a bit above the market rate.

On Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 5:44 PM, Lovethailandelite said:

agreed, but its cheaper than thonglor and phrong phrong or whatever its called. The best area is ratchathewi, 25000 baht a month in luxury apartment like ideo-q.

3 minutes ago, DjChris28 said:

Is that on a 3 month contract? short term contract thats actually pretty good. The real estate agent was trying to sell me 50sqm for 40k per month on a top floor in 15 sukhumvit residences in nana 12 month contract. Thought it was a bit above the market rate.

That does seem slightly high for 12 months, but you can always counter-offer and I think it's expected.  I don't think that's super high, though.  My contract is 6 months, so kind of short term, it does limit my takers, but not as much as a 3 month contract would.  The trouble is that agents sometimes are afraid or unwilling to ask landlords if they'll take a shorter contract.  The game seems to be to ask a bit high on the 12, so just giving them their ask on a 6 made sense to me, and on a 3 I'd have to go higher.  I think a lot of owners won't do a 3 at all and I can't blame them.  Too much trouble getting new tenants in and out.  

1 minute ago, wealthychef said:

That does seem slightly high for 12 months, but you can always counter-offer and I think it's expected.  I don't think that's super high, though.  My contract is 6 months, so kind of short term, it does limit my takers, but not as much as a 3 month contract would.  The trouble is that agents sometimes are afraid or unwilling to ask landlords if they'll take a shorter contract.  The game seems to be to ask a bit high on the 12, so just giving them their ask on a 6 made sense to me, and on a 3 I'd have to go higher.  I think a lot of owners won't do a 3 at all and I can't blame them.  Too much trouble getting new tenants in and out.  

Whats the condo called? Im about to sign a 6 month contract tomorrow. but its only 30sqm at 25000 baht per month. I really want more sqm on 6 month contract and can pay up to 35000 per month. (or even 37000).

6 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

One landlord told me that the reason landlords in bangkok dont like giving 6 month contracts is because there is a lack of tenants in october looking for a place. so around this time all landlords are looking for people to rent till the next year.

7 hours ago, DjChris28 said:

https://www.hipflat.co.th/en/bangkok/condo/edge-sukhumvit-23

Looks like you did well. The 30sqm rooms are like already 33000 per month and that is 12 month contract I presume.

I used hipflat extensively but interestingly enough I just went off of other condos to price this one for some reason.  Good reality check.  I do see one for $35k for 42 sqm, but most go for at least $40k and as you point out all of that assume 12 months. 

8 hours ago, DjChris28 said:

One landlord told me that the reason landlords in bangkok dont like giving 6 month contracts is because there is a lack of tenants in october looking for a place. so around this time all landlords are looking for people to rent till the next year.

Very good insight, thanks.  The thing to remember is that not all landlords are the same.  This is why it's important to ask for what you want.  You can definitely get 6 months, but you might have to pay a bit more.  I actually did not have much problem with 6 month, once I found an agent willing to check around, and once I made it clear I understood it might cost more. 

8 hours ago, DjChris28 said:

Whats the condo called? Im about to sign a 6 month contract tomorrow. but its only 30sqm at 25000 baht per month. I really want more sqm on 6 month contract and can pay up to 35000 per month. (or even 37000).

It's called The Edge https://www.hipflat.co.th/en/bangkok/condo/edge-sukhumvit-23

On 2/11/2017 at 6:42 PM, DjChris28 said:

Hi,

Im signing up to a condo today or tomorrow on 6 month lease very central location. I know they have other rooms available (I think). I can ask them. They do around 25,000 baht per month in a very nice condo. I'm urgently just looking for a 6 month contract that is nice. These guys will do daily rates too at around 1000-1500 baht.

Would you mind sharing the details of the condo? I am looking for somewhere between 25K THB per month, looking to sign at least 6 or 12 months

On 2/12/2017 at 6:28 PM, wealthychef said:

Looks like a pretty new condo, where did you find the listing? I am looking at the same building as well.

10 hours ago, slinky23 said:

Looks like a pretty new condo, where did you find the listing? I am looking at the same building as well.

I used an agent.  I think the best way is to use hipflat to send out "I'm interested" notes to maybe 20 places you like.  At that point several agents representing the owners will contact you and ask for more information.  You can then use these agents to find your perfect property and learn the market.  I found this in about 2-3 weeks using this method and I'm pretty happy.  I started just with the idea I wanted a new condo in Nana, Prom Pong or Asok and went from there.  I continue to learn and next time might move areas.  

I'm actually in Kuala Lumpur now and thinking of getting a place here too.  LOL  It's nice

Archived