BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wealthychef

Living month to month in Bangkok and elsewhere in LOS

14 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

I have found a good condo, called The Edge on Suk 23.  40 square meters for 37,500, brand new, I'm the first tenant.  Excellent location, and I'm happy.  I wish I had been more patient but there are plenty of condos out there if you're willing to shake a few coins out of your pocket it seems.  

For a new condo in that area of that size, that's an ok price. It isn't a cheap area for a decent place.

13 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

For a new condo in that area of that size, that's an ok price. It isn't a cheap area for a decent place.

Normal rent seems to be about 1000 per square meter in this building, more for the upper floors actually.  It's 100 feet from Soi Cowboy, so prime location in terms of convenience.  :-) And yet quiet.  

On Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 5:58 PM, wealthychef said:

Normal rent seems to be about 1000 per square meter in this building, more for the upper floors actually.  It's 100 feet from Soi Cowboy, so prime location in terms of convenience.  :-) And yet quiet.  

Is that on a 3 month contract? short term contract thats actually pretty good. The real estate agent was trying to sell me 50sqm for 40k per month on a top floor in 15 sukhumvit residences in nana 12 month contract. Thought it was a bit above the market rate.

On Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 5:44 PM, Lovethailandelite said:

agreed, but its cheaper than thonglor and phrong phrong or whatever its called. The best area is ratchathewi, 25000 baht a month in luxury apartment like ideo-q.

3 minutes ago, DjChris28 said:

Is that on a 3 month contract? short term contract thats actually pretty good. The real estate agent was trying to sell me 50sqm for 40k per month on a top floor in 15 sukhumvit residences in nana 12 month contract. Thought it was a bit above the market rate.

That does seem slightly high for 12 months, but you can always counter-offer and I think it's expected.  I don't think that's super high, though.  My contract is 6 months, so kind of short term, it does limit my takers, but not as much as a 3 month contract would.  The trouble is that agents sometimes are afraid or unwilling to ask landlords if they'll take a shorter contract.  The game seems to be to ask a bit high on the 12, so just giving them their ask on a 6 made sense to me, and on a 3 I'd have to go higher.  I think a lot of owners won't do a 3 at all and I can't blame them.  Too much trouble getting new tenants in and out.  

1 minute ago, wealthychef said:

That does seem slightly high for 12 months, but you can always counter-offer and I think it's expected.  I don't think that's super high, though.  My contract is 6 months, so kind of short term, it does limit my takers, but not as much as a 3 month contract would.  The trouble is that agents sometimes are afraid or unwilling to ask landlords if they'll take a shorter contract.  The game seems to be to ask a bit high on the 12, so just giving them their ask on a 6 made sense to me, and on a 3 I'd have to go higher.  I think a lot of owners won't do a 3 at all and I can't blame them.  Too much trouble getting new tenants in and out.  

Whats the condo called? Im about to sign a 6 month contract tomorrow. but its only 30sqm at 25000 baht per month. I really want more sqm on 6 month contract and can pay up to 35000 per month. (or even 37000).

6 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

One landlord told me that the reason landlords in bangkok dont like giving 6 month contracts is because there is a lack of tenants in october looking for a place. so around this time all landlords are looking for people to rent till the next year.

7 hours ago, DjChris28 said:

https://www.hipflat.co.th/en/bangkok/condo/edge-sukhumvit-23

Looks like you did well. The 30sqm rooms are like already 33000 per month and that is 12 month contract I presume.

I used hipflat extensively but interestingly enough I just went off of other condos to price this one for some reason.  Good reality check.  I do see one for $35k for 42 sqm, but most go for at least $40k and as you point out all of that assume 12 months. 

8 hours ago, DjChris28 said:

One landlord told me that the reason landlords in bangkok dont like giving 6 month contracts is because there is a lack of tenants in october looking for a place. so around this time all landlords are looking for people to rent till the next year.

Very good insight, thanks.  The thing to remember is that not all landlords are the same.  This is why it's important to ask for what you want.  You can definitely get 6 months, but you might have to pay a bit more.  I actually did not have much problem with 6 month, once I found an agent willing to check around, and once I made it clear I understood it might cost more. 

On 2/11/2017 at 6:42 PM, DjChris28 said:

Hi,

Im signing up to a condo today or tomorrow on 6 month lease very central location. I know they have other rooms available (I think). I can ask them. They do around 25,000 baht per month in a very nice condo. I'm urgently just looking for a 6 month contract that is nice. These guys will do daily rates too at around 1000-1500 baht.

Would you mind sharing the details of the condo? I am looking for somewhere between 25K THB per month, looking to sign at least 6 or 12 months

On 2/12/2017 at 6:28 PM, wealthychef said:

I have found a good condo, called The Edge on Suk 23.  40 square meters for 37,500, brand new, I'm the first tenant.  Excellent location, and I'm happy.  I wish I had been more patient but there are plenty of condos out there if you're willing to shake a few coins out of your pocket it seems.  

Looks like a pretty new condo, where did you find the listing? I am looking at the same building as well.

10 hours ago, slinky23 said:

Looks like a pretty new condo, where did you find the listing? I am looking at the same building as well.

I used an agent.  I think the best way is to use hipflat to send out "I'm interested" notes to maybe 20 places you like.  At that point several agents representing the owners will contact you and ask for more information.  You can then use these agents to find your perfect property and learn the market.  I found this in about 2-3 weeks using this method and I'm pretty happy.  I started just with the idea I wanted a new condo in Nana, Prom Pong or Asok and went from there.  I continue to learn and next time might move areas.  

I'm actually in Kuala Lumpur now and thinking of getting a place here too.  LOL  It's nice