Can life be enjoyable without spirit drinks! ?

redwinecheese

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, kenk24 said:

Sure, - nothing like a sweet young thing... nothing like an old shoe smell mixed with that new car smell... yeah, yeah, just kidding - this time. 

Yeah, a shower may get rid of the old shoe smell, but it only enhances that new car smell.

That is true - and nobody wants to look like a sack of spuds, as you call them, but then, I think the overeaters of the world are rarely out at 3 am getting thrown out of a bar for misbehaving and end up trying to break a bottle over someone's head after someone else took exception to their slobbering drunk behavior. They don't end up in the news sitting at the police station bleeding from the forehead and not even remembering how they got there... 

Just my observations... 

We get it you don't drink but let's stick to the facts, millions of drinkers get through a session every day without incident.
You actually come across like you need a drink lol

8 minutes ago, zorro1 said:

We get it you don't drink but let's stick to the facts, millions of drinkers get through a session every day without incident.
You actually come across like you need a drink lol

Exactly. This is precisely the type of humor that makes drunks so boring. And I can enjoy an occasional drink. But I surely don't need one to enjoy myself and the company I keep.

Exactly. This is precisely the type of humor that makes drunks so boring. And I can enjoy an occasional drink. But I surely don't need one to enjoy myself and the company I keep.

You sound like your in denial and your tone comes across as aggressive, exactly the type I would avoid in bar.

Hangover perhaps?

As I write this I am sucking on a Breezer  its 11.00 a.m. in the morning. Later I will have a beer. Yes I know the old rule never drink before noon but I just felt like one. It took years for me to wrestle demon rum to the ground and I am ever thankful to my body for sticking with me through that ordeal and propelling me onward to the ripe old age I am now. I daily give thanks to the body that houses me and has put up with all my shenanigans over the years. The g/f is on holidays for a week and I let my hair down a bit. When she returns its back to a beer on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Its the  naughty little boy in my I guess. 

1 minute ago, elgordo38 said:

As I write this I am sucking on a Breezer  its 11.00 a.m. in the morning. Later I will have a beer. Yes I know the old rule never drink before noon but I just felt like one. It took years for me to wrestle demon rum to the ground and I am ever thankful to my body for sticking with me through that ordeal and propelling me onward to the ripe old age I am now. I daily give thanks to the body that houses me and has put up with all my shenanigans over the years. The g/f is on holidays for a week and I let my hair down a bit. When she returns its back to a beer on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Its the  naughty little boy in my I guess. 

I wish I could still do that. I drink very little these days, one beer or glass of wine is about my limit. Any more than that and I get a mild hangover with a headache. I guess my liver ain't as young as it used to be.

Just now, giddyup said:

I wish I could still do that. I drink very little these days, one beer or glass of wine is about my limit. Any more than that and I get a mild hangover with a headache. I guess my liver ain't as young as it used to be.

Neither is mine I would presume. At 79 I always pass on all these medical tests. I want to enjoy a few more good years and then its game over no Depends years spoon feeding and looking in the mirror trying to recognize myself. Nice to conflab with someone of good demeanor on here usually its SB's and brickbats. 

8 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Neither is mine I would presume. At 79 I always pass on all these medical tests. I want to enjoy a few more good years and then its game over no Depends years spoon feeding and looking in the mirror trying to recognize myself. Nice to conflab with someone of good demeanor on here usually its SB's and brickbats. 

The question is: When is it time to call it quits?

20 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Yes the liver the magic organ like a cat with 9 lives. I repairs itself lends to transplant and regeneration but I still cannot get myself to eat the darn thing. 

chrisinth

You say you have been dry for 18 years.Good for you,you obviously have will power.But may i ask the reason why?

Where you an avid drinker,did you go out and stagger back?.Did your personality change when you were full of booze?

Were you violent when drunk.?

Did others suffer at your hands when inebriated?

Did you you spend money on booze when you knew it was was for food,bill'sl,etc.

Did your embarrass yourself and others when drunk? 

Did you find that your friends started to keep away from you?

Did you start the evening with friends and end it among stranger's?

The reason i ask is that anyone of the above questions is a good idea to stop drinking.And if any of them applied to you,then you did the the right thing and respect to you.

But if you did not,then,with kindness,i think that people should let other people go their own way.Some people go through life being able to have a drink and never suffer with any of the above,Some people can go through life and know when they have had enough.If the only reason that you gave up 18 years ago is that you were bored with it or any other reason not to do with the effects of alcohol,then my question is,WHY? life is fun with a little alcohol,as long as it is within reason and doesnt hurt others.

And of course their are others who find life just f###### boring.Either that,or they can be found at the weekly salvation Army meeting,Your not a Tambourine banger,are you?

As the singer said "The future may be unclear,but the fridge was always near"

Short answer is "Yes".
Joy in life does not come from alcohol, it comes from yourself – from how you behave and what "you send out" – having a great "night in the town" I often do, normally twice a week, and don't normally never touch alcohol at all. However, I'm not teetotaler; I do like a glass of wine (or two) for dinner, or a wine-cooler or cocktail in company with friends, but I don't need and can be just as happy with a soft drink.

:smile:

That is true - and nobody wants to look like a sack of spuds, as you call them, but then, I think the overeaters of the world are rarely out at 3 am getting thrown out of a bar for misbehaving and end up trying to break a bottle over someone's head after someone else took exception to their slobbering drunk behavior. They don't end up in the news sitting at the police station bleeding from the forehead and not even remembering how they got there... 

Just my observations... 

This guy is addicted to avoiding full stops.

Cigarettes were my Achilles heel

Couldn't do anything without one - used to smoke 50 a day during the week and as many as 80 a day on the weekends.

Stopped two weeks ago after an 8 month binge :smile:

I drink when I have to be sociable but I detest being drunk.

I was partial to a toot of coke or an E back in London

I have never drank alcohol in my life, so I don't know what it would be like if I did, I have known quite a few people who were drunks both here and back in the UK who are now dead mainly because of it, I'm just so glad I have never started.

I don't drink alcohol or smoke. I used to occasionally enjoy a bottle of beer but have decided that I don't really have a need to intoxicate myself even with a small amount of alcohol.

We are conditioned to consume  alcohol and may or may not develop an addiction, largely depending on whether we have conscious or subconscious memories of traumatic experiences. Subconscious memories often go back to early childhood. I recommend Michael Brown's book "The Presence Process" to help resolve such issues and the resulting addictions. 

https://www.amazon.com/Presence-Process-Healing-Journey-Awareness/dp/0825305373

3 hours ago, YeahSiam said:

Cigarettes were my Achilles heel

Couldn't do anything without one - used to smoke 50 a day during the week and as many as 80 a day on the weekends.

Stopped two weeks ago after an 8 month binge :smile:

I drink when I have to be sociable but I detest being drunk.

I was partial to a toot of coke or an E back in London

Good luck with your effort to quit smoking. If you have gone 2 weeks without the weed you can go another 2 weeks ... and another... etc. Eventually you will feel better for it... Later you will not have the serious cravings.

But, you will always have to be careful not to be tempted to light up again - especially here in Thailand where cigarettes are so cheap.

I am speaking as a person who quit for 2 whole years in my 30's and again 5 years in my 40's but got back into the habit again (stupid idiot). Now I'm in my 60's and I have not had a cigarette since moving to Thailand in 2005 - but the temptation is always there.

12 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

chrisinth

You say you have been dry for 18 years.Good for you,you obviously have will power.But may i ask the reason why?

Where you an avid drinker,did you go out and stagger back?.Did your personality change when you were full of booze?

Were you violent when drunk.?

Did others suffer at your hands when inebriated?

Did you you spend money on booze when you knew it was was for food,bill'sl,etc.

Did your embarrass yourself and others when drunk? 

Did you find that your friends started to keep away from you?

Did you start the evening with friends and end it among stranger's?

The reason i ask is that anyone of the above questions is a good idea to stop drinking.And if any of them applied to you,then you did the the right thing and respect to you.

But if you did not,then,with kindness,i think that people should let other people go their own way.Some people go through life being able to have a drink and never suffer with any of the above,Some people can go through life and know when they have had enough.If the only reason that you gave up 18 years ago is that you were bored with it or any other reason not to do with the effects of alcohol,then my question is,WHY? life is fun with a little alcohol,as long as it is within reason and doesnt hurt others.

And of course their are others who find life just f###### boring.Either that,or they can be found at the weekly salvation Army meeting,Your not a Tambourine banger,are you?

As the singer said "The future may be unclear,but the fridge was always near"

20 years not 18. I became a Christian and got tired of the drinking and the drugs..just pot. ...I bought a old one room school house in the country on one acre and spent all my time renovating it as well as working shift work. It was one of the best times in my life but a lot of work. I never want to see dry wall again ...haha..so now that I am retired I can relax and have the odd beer. I earned it.   

Beats56

My post was regarding chrisinth,who said he had been dry for 18 years,it wasnt pointed at you,however 20 years is great,if  thats the amount of time you say you have been dry.Also the 'little house on the prarie thing sounds wonderful.Do you also have the full beard that reaches your belt buckle and play the violin?All sounds a bit 'twee' to me,but if thats your thing,then good luck.Btw,i have seen the real house on the prairie,in South Dakota,And it really is just a one roomed school house.I dont know why everybody demonizes alcohol.It can be an ice breaker,a good night out,etc,but the problem is that some people use it to excess. Everything is ok within reason.I like a drink,but i've never let it get out of hand,or control me.This argument can go on forever.Its just like the meat eaters and the vegetarians.We will never see eye to eye.

i was married to a raving,nasty drunk for 10 years,in the end she lost everything,her house,her husband and even her child.I have enough experience of drunks to fill a life time.In the end,she was murdered by her next husband,What a waste of life,she was 37.So,i have more than enough knowledge of what drunks are like.

This is not BS,it can be googled.

After all that,i still enjoy a drink.

4 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Beats56

My post was regarding chrisinth,who said he had been dry for 18 years,it wasnt pointed at you,however 20 years is great,if  thats the amount of time you say you have been dry.Also the 'little house on the prarie thing sounds wonderful.Do you also have the full beard that reaches your belt buckle and play the violin?All sounds a bit 'twee' to me,but if thats your thing,then good luck.Btw,i have seen the real house on the prairie,in South Dakota,And it really is just a one roomed school house.I dont know why everybody demonizes alcohol.It can be an ice breaker,a good night out,etc,but the problem is that some people use it to excess. Everything is ok within reason.I like a drink,but i've never let it get out of hand,or control me.This argument can go on forever.Its just like the meat eaters and the vegetarians.We will never see eye to eye.

i was married to a raving,nasty drunk for 10 years,in the end she lost everything,her house,her husband and even her child.I have enough experience of drunks to fill a life time.In the end,she was murdered by her next husband,What a waste of life,she was 37.So,i have more than enough knowledge of what drunks are like.

This is not BS,it can be googled.

After all that,i still enjoy a drink.

Sorry about the wife..sad indeed. It was a old school house backing on 1900 acres of forest. I had a uncle that was in the army in south Korea and Nam.  Hé was a drunk. I don't know maybe war did to him..drank Irish wiskey and my after shave. Got sober then when remembrance day came around he went to the legion after the parade and would be drunk for a couple months. Nice guy though never married. After seeing that I told myself. .I never wanted to go there. I could tell you Alot a stories about my life. It really has been adventure. Oh no have no  beard haha...clean shaven as olive oil use to say "I like a clean shaven man" 

I like meet you sometime. .I am in Rayong.  Cheers bro.

7 minutes ago, Beats56 said:

Sorry about the wife..sad indeed. It was a old school house backing on 1900 acres of forest. I had a uncle that was in the army in south Korea and Nam.  Hé was a drunk. I don't know maybe war did to him..drank Irish wiskey and my after shave. Got sober then when remembrance day came around he went to the legion after the parade and would be drunk for a couple months. Nice guy though never married. After seeing that I told myself. .I never wanted to go there. I could tell you Alot a stories about my life. It really has been adventure. Oh no have no  beard haha...clean shaven as olive oil use to say "I like a clean shaven man" 

I like meet you sometime. .I am in Rayong.  Cheers bro.

Oh after not drinking for 20 years..went to a bar in Texas where I was working at the time with a few other expats and drank 4 beers..man I got sick after that...body was not use to the alcohol.

Beats65

I never thought of that one! Jamesons and aftershave.Do you have ice with that? I suppose that life has many avenues to go down.Some good,some not so.

I just have the rationale that i want to experience everything i can before i have to leave.

One day,death will come through my door,and say "c'mon Dave,time to go,get your hat and coat" i would rather meet him as an old friend than something i have to be scared of.Having been here 17 years,i have lived the life of 5 men,its been great.and a drink or two along the way has been an excellent companion.

Btw,As my name indicates,i am in Khon Kaen.

Stay dry amigo,i will drink to that.:burp::drunk:

Archived