BANGKOK 18 February 2019 06:38
mfharrison

British Passport Application Rejected

I am in the same boat as the above and I don't know where to turn. I was born in South Africa, but moved to England when I was a year old. I went to school and university in the UK and worked until I was 26 and decided to move away. I married my wife 2 years ago in April and we just had our first son in December. I received the rejection letter for his passport yesterday on the same grounds. I found this while searching for information. Half my sons family are British and live and work in the UK and we have been rejected for this passport largely due to my parents work commitments. Now for a simple family visit I will have to jump through hoops to make visas for my son(the son of a British man born to two British parents, born to four British grandparents...) I am at a loss as to what to do next. I have read the comments about been married first and living in the UK for 3 years in both these cases we meet that criteria and yet we have still been rejected I am in the same boat as the above and I don't know where to turn. I was born in South Africa, but moved to England when I was a year old. I went to school and university in the UK and worked until I was 26 and decided to move away. I married my wife 2 years ago in April and we just had our first son in December. I received the rejection letter for his passport yesterday on the same grounds. I found this while searching for information. Half my sons family are British and live and work in the UK and we have been rejected for this passport largely due to my parents work commitments. Now for a simple family visit I will have to jump through hoops to make visas for my son(the son of a British man born to two British parents, born to four British grandparents...) I am at a loss as to what to do next. I have read the comments about been married first and living in the UK for 3 years in both these cases we meet that criteria and yet we have still been rejected. I am in the same boat as the above and I don't know where to turn. I was born in South Africa, but moved to England when I was a year old. I went to school and university in the UK and worked until I was 26 and decided to move away. I married my wife 2 years ago in April and we just had our first son in December. I received the rejection letter for his passport yesterday on the same grounds. I found this while searching for information. Half my sons family are British and live and work in the UK and we have been rejected for this passport largely due to my parents work commitments. Now for a simple family visit I will have to jump through hoops to make visas for my son(the son of a British man born to two British parents, born to four British grandparents...) I am at a loss as to what to do next. I have read the comments about been married first and living in the UK for 3 years in both these cases we meet that criteria and yet we have still been rejected. I am in the same boat as the above and I don't know where to turn. I was born in South Africa, but moved to England when I was a year old. I went to school and university in the UK and worked until I was 26 and decided to move away. I married my wife 2 years ago in April and we just had our first son in December. I received the rejection letter for his passport yesterday on the same grounds. I found this while searching for information. Half my sons family are British and live and work in the UK and we have been rejected for this passport largely due to my parents work commitments. Now for a simple family visit I will have to jump through hoops to make visas for my son(the son of a British man born to two British parents, born to four British grandparents...) I am at a loss as to what to do next. I have read the comments about been married first and living in the UK for 3 years in both these cases we meet that criteria and yet we have still been rejected. I am in the same boat as the above and I don't know where to turn. I was born in South Africa, but moved to England when I was a year old. I went to school and university in the UK and worked until I was 26 and decided to move away. I married my wife 2 years ago in April and we just had our first son in December. I received the rejection letter for his passport yesterday on the same grounds. I found this while searching for information. Half my sons family are British and live and work in the UK and we have been rejected for this passport largely due to my parents work commitments. Now for a simple family visit I will have to jump through hoops to make visas for my son(the son of a British man born to two British parents, born to four British grandparents...) I am at a loss as to what to do next. I have read the comments about been married first and living in the UK for 3 years in both these cases we meet that criteria and yet we have still been rejected. I am in the same boat as the above and I don't know where to turn. I was born in South Africa, but moved to England when I was a year old. I went to school and university in the UK and worked until I was 26 and decided to move away. I married my wife 2 years ago in April and we just had our first son in December. I received the rejection letter for his passport yesterday on the same grounds. I found this while searching for information. Half my sons family are British and live and work in the UK and we have been rejected for this passport largely due to my parents work commitments. Now for a simple family visit I will have to jump through hoops to make visas for my son(the son of a British man born to two British parents, born to four British grandparents...) I am at a loss as to what to do next. I have read the comments about been married first and living in the UK for 3 years in both these cases we meet that criteria and yet we have still been rejected. I am in the same boat as the above and I don't know where to turn. I was born in South Africa, but moved to England when I was a year old. I went to school and university in the UK and worked until I was 26 and decided to move away. I married my wife 2 years ago in April and we just had our first son in December. I received the rejection letter for his passport yesterday on the same grounds. I found this while searching for information. Half my sons family are British and live and work in the UK and we have been rejected for this passport largely due to my parents work commitments. Now for a simple family visit I will have to jump through hoops to make visas for my son(the son of a British man born to two British parents, born to four British grandparents...) I am at a loss as to what to do next. I have read the comments about been married first and living in the UK for 3 years in both these cases we meet that criteria anzxbfd

Hello everyone, 

I just received a rejection letter via e-mail for my son's first passport who was born in December in Thailand to a Thai mother. The reason for the rejection was based on my place of birth which was South Africa and that "although you are British you obtained your claim to British Nationality by virtue of descent through your British father. Descent claims can only be passed on one generation i.e. your father to you and therefore"(quote from the letter) my son is not British.

I was born in South Africa, but moved to England when I was a year old. I went to school and university in the UK and worked until I was 26 and decided to move away. I married my wife 2 years ago, in April and we just had our first son in December. I received the rejection letter for his passport yesterday on the same grounds. I found this while searching for information. Half my son's family are British and live and work in the UK and we have been rejected for this passport largely due to my parents work commitments. Now for a simple family visit I will have to jump through hoops to make visas for my son (the son of a British man born to two British parents, born to four British grandparents...) I am at a loss as to what to do next. I have read the comments on other pages about being married first and living in the UK for 3 years in both these cases we meet that criteria and yet we have still been rejected.

I hope someone has experience with this and can help

thank you in advance

Did you ever get registered as a British citizen and have the certificate? Like you, I was born in Africa (Rhodesia) to British parents and moved to the UK in 1961 when I was 1. When I was 8, my parents registered me as British. I was able to get my son, born in Thailand, a UK passport.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Did you ever get registered as a British citizen and have the certificate? Like you, I was born in Africa (Rhodesia) to British parents and moved to the UK in 1961 when I was 1. When I was 8, my parents registered me as British. I was able to get my son, born in Thailand, a UK passport.

no unfortunately i was never registered i checked that with my parents. Thanks for the help though. Need to keep looking

no unfortunately i was never registered i checked that with my parents. Thanks for the help though. Need to keep looking

Unfortunately you may be a victim of the Thatcher government's desire to reduce the numbers of non UK born descendants of non UK born British citizens, mainly from the Indian sub-continent, getting UK passports. A non UK born child of non UK born parents, even though the parents hold UK passports, is not entitled to a UK passport. You can of course get the child a UK visa.
  • Like 1

i never liked her!!! Thank you for all your help I have sent e-mails off to both the citizenship and passport offices explaining the situation so hopefully i will be able to find a route. I feel wronged by my government at the moment never even considered myself to be anything other than British and it saddens me to have my 'Britishness' questioned like this.

If i get any news i will post here maybe it will be of help to others. I saw an article in the Independent from last year from a guy with a similar story so i have contacted them also just to see if there was any follow up to the story. I get the feeling i am on a fool's errand though.

Thanks again for your help maybe i can get a back dated 'Britishness' letter :D i did live there for 25 years

• Like 2

Thanks again for your help,

after spending a weekend of searching and e-mailing i believe i will be going with 3(2) i am just checking about this first with an advice center in the UK.

Thanks again for everyone's help

I am feeling more positive about it all now

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mfharrison said:

after spending a weekend of searching and e-mailing i believe i will be going with 3(2) i am just checking about this first with an advice center in the UK.

I hope all goes well.
Please, update here with the results.
Thank you!

Perhaps creatively, if you are entitled to a SA passport so should your son.

if for whatever reason the registration of the British passport doesn't happen, should your son also be eligible for the SA passport, it should make himself commonwealth citizen.

commonwealth citizen with at least a grandparent born in the U.K.  Are eligible  for 4 year ancestory visa which grants them unlimited rights to enter the U.K. 

I know nothing of South African nationality law. But even were the OP able to obtain a South African passport for his 3 month old son, he couldn't obtain a UK Ancestry visa for him; yet.

UK Ancestry visa

You can apply for a UK Ancestry visa if you:

• are a Commonwealth citizen
  • are applying from outside the UK
  • are able to prove that one of your grandparents was born in the UK
  • are able and planning to work in the UK
  • meet the other eligibility requirements

2. Eligibility

You must prove that you:

• are 17 or over
  • have enough money without help from public funds to support and house yourself and any dependants
  • can and plan to work in the UK

Note that this visa is only available to Commonwealth citizens who are coming to the UK to work or study; hardly unlimited rights!

It is valid for 5 years, and after 5 years in the UK the holder can apply to either extend it or settle in the UK.

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 7by7 said:

I know nothing of South African nationality law. But even were the OP able to obtain a South African passport for his 3 month old son, he couldn't obtain a UK Ancestry visa for him; yet.

UK Ancestry visa

Note that this visa is only available to Commonwealth citizens who are coming to the UK to work or study; hardly unlimited rights!

It is valid for 5 years, and after 5 years in the UK the holder can apply to either extend it or settle in the UK.

I stand corrected.

On 2/6/2017 at 9:08 AM, mfharrison said:

Hi,

Was there any update on this?
I am still waiting for the Home Office to confirm my nationality.

On 2/8/2017 at 3:40 PM, 7by7 said:

UK Ancestry visa

7by7,

I have hit a roadblock as  HM passport office says they cannot check.
I have sent 3 emails in 2 weeks to the Home Office.

My father swears that in 1988 he took me to London and I was registered.
He cannot find the details sadly.

If I sent the MN1 form off anyways I am not sure if it would be a waste of money or would they then turn around as say that it is not need?

1 hour ago, stefan2519 said:

My father swears that in 1988 he took me to London and I was registered.
He cannot find the details sadly.

You were not born in the UK or a qualifying territory; so you are British by descent. Whether or not your father subsequently registered your birth in the UK does not change that.

Because you are British by descent, your children will only automatically be British if they are, themselves, born in the UK or a qualifying territory. Unless they inherit British citizenship from their mother; which I assume is not the case here.

So the only way they can become British is by registration using form MN1; if they qualify for such.

The only way to find out for sure if they do qualify is to apply. From what you have said, I think they do; but this is a complicated area and I am only offering a layman's opinion.