Teaching License Solid Info Please

sup3r1or

Hello fellow teachers,

I have been teaching in 2 different schools over the last couple of years and have gone through 4 temporary letters from Kru Sapa. Last one I got out HR department informed me, that it was said this will be my last one. Over the last year or so, I have been looking for solid info on procedure on how to apply for permanent license. From various people I have also heard about a 5 year one, adding to that few years ago I was told about Thai Culture tests and something called 9 standard test. Then I was told it was scrapped..... Anyway....

Long story short I asked our HR staff who takes care of all documents for the university to call Kru Sapa and help me find out (I tried calling them several times but nobody ever picked up). 

Once the staff reached Kru Sapa and asked this is the answer I got... I am quoting: "You have to improve by yourself"   nobody knows what did they mean by that. I am at a loss here, I would greatly appreciate any solid information how and what is needed to apply to for one. 

Greatly appreciate all the input. 

You have to improve by yourself

Have you taken any CPD (Continuous Professional Development) courses, (either self-funded or paid by your employer) during the couple of years that you have been teaching? This is an example of self-improvement that is expected of all teachers, regardless of the country or type of employment.

Teaching License Requirements

1. Be at least 20 years of age
2. Hold a degree in Education or an equivalent or in other related fields accredited by the Teachers Council 
    of Thailand or
     • Hold other degrees and a teaching license from abroad or
     • Hold other degrees and a graduate diploma in Education with 1 year course of study
3. Completion of training course on Thai Language, Culture and Professional Ethics from a training
    institution approved by the Teachers’ Council of Thailand
4. Not Possess any of the prohibited characteristics pursuant to section 44 of  the Teachers and Educational
    Personnel Council Act B.E. 2003
     • Having improper behavior or immorality
     • Being an incompetent or quasi-incompetent person
     • Having been sentenced to imprisonment in any case, in the opinion of the Teachers Council of 
        Thailand, which may bring dishonor upon the profession.
5. Have experience in teaching with not less than 1 year

Required Documents
1.  Completed Application form (KS.01)
2.  A copy of all the used pages of the applicant’s passport, particularly the latest update current school
     NON-B Visa
3.  A copy of all pages of work permit 
4.  A copy of educational background or certificates-holding at least a bachelor’s degree in a field of
     education / teaching or its equivalent (If the documents are in a foreign language besides English, 
     it must be translated into Thai. Translation must be certified by a competent translator and 
     notarized by notary organizations)
5.  A copy of official transcripts (if any)
6.  A copy of teaching license/certificate from abroad (if any)
7.  Work experience verification (a letter from employer in Thailand or overseas with not less than 1 
     year, clearly identify the period of teaching)
8.  A copy of certificate, having completed a training course on Thai Language, Culture and Professional
     Ethics from a training institution approved by the Teachers’ Council of  Thailand
9.  A copy of certification of professional knowledge test-9 subject matters for teaching Profession (In
     case of holding other degrees without a teaching license from abroad or a graduate diploma in 
     Education)
10. A copy of employment contract
11. Two 1-inch photos, wearing formal clothing and do not wear hat and sunglasses
12. Registration fee is 500 Baht

Note: Applicants must certify true copy of all documents

http://site.ksp.or.th/about.php?site=license&SiteMenuID=219

One of the requirements for the permanent licence says:  5. Have experience in teaching with not less than 1 year .

Does this mean teaching experience in your home country or in Thailand/any. Also if you have used BOTH 2 year waivers and have since obtained a PGCE, where does that leave you getting a permanent Teacher's Licence from Kru Sapa?

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 0:05 PM, simon43 said:

Have you taken any CPD (Continuous Professional Development) courses, (either self-funded or paid by your employer) during the couple of years that you have been teaching? This is an example of self-improvement that is expected of all teachers, regardless of the country or type of employment.

NO I haven't, I have only done IELTS and TOIEC but that was a while back. The problem I have with school is that everytime I try to do some training or course, they don't want to let me take time off. I wanted to go and do TOEFL in Chiang Mai, they just would not let me take time off for that.

We have a budget for those kind of things (its not much 15k), they also seem to try a way out of not paying for online course.

Someone asked me if I work at the university of at school? It is a demonstration school which is a part of the university, but Kru Sapa requirements are still the same.

Surely the OPD requirement is for licensed teachers?  If the OP has had four waivers already I'm not sure how he is still at the bat.

For renewal purposes the TCT has been happy to accept certificates for judging at inter-school competitions as evidence of OPD in my experience.

Long story short you need to have a B Ed or post graduation qualification if you want to be future proof.

2 hours ago, farang1979 said:

One of the requirements for the permanent licence says:  5. Have experience in teaching with not less than 1 year .

Does this mean teaching experience in your home country or in Thailand/any. Also if you have used BOTH 2 year waivers and have since obtained a PGCE, where does that leave you getting a permanent Teacher's Licence from Kru Sapa?

Experience both abroad and within Thailand is accepted. When you hold a PGCE and the Thai Culture Course certificate you're eligible for the TCT teacher license. 

43 minutes ago, sup3r1or said:

NO I haven't, I have only done IELTS and TOIEC but that was a while back.

TOEIC, TOEFL, IELTS, CEFR, Cambridge Exams and VEC are English proficiency tests for non-native speakers of English required to further their English education of pursue occupations that need a certain English proficiency. Related to the TCT, such certificates are only needed when applying for the provisional teaching permit (waiver). Such courses/ certificates are not considered as development towards the teacher license. For the latter you've to think about post graduate certificate courses in the teaching profession or education which take about one year of study.

51 minutes ago, sup3r1or said:

It is a demonstration school which is a part of the university, but Kru Sapa requirements are still the same.

Some universities' demonstration in Thailand fall under the OBEC and therefore TCT and some don't. It depends whether the demonstration school is registered as independent entity or faculty of the university. The latter will fall under the OHEC.

Some universities' demonstration in Thailand fall under the OBEC and therefore TCT and some don't. It depends whether the demonstration school is registered as independent entity or faculty of the university. The latter will fall under the OHEC.

I have heard many things about this Thai Culture course. So I'll ask one question; how do you get on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Wasn't Chiang Mai and Payap University also offering those? Had friends who attended those courses there.

What gets on my nerves is that everything is always changed and there isn't such thing as FUTURE PROOF. When I started out post graduate degree in education was not required one could do Culture Test and also there was a special test to test your teaching abilities in Thai schools. That was it!

Now they need either B ed or post grad degree.... well problem with that, its a huge investment time and money wise. The closest uni that does this in English is 140 km away from me and the degree costs 250,000 bht. With the current level of salaries that is not possible.  

7 hours ago, sup3r1or said:

Wasn't Chiang Mai and Payap University also offering those? Had friends who attended those courses there.

What gets on my nerves is that everything is always changed and there isn't such thing as FUTURE PROOF. When I started out post graduate degree in education was not required one could do Culture Test and also there was a special test to test your teaching abilities in Thai schools. That was it!

Now they need either B ed or post grad degree.... well problem with that, its a huge investment time and money wise. The closest uni that does this in English is 140 km away from me and the degree costs 250,000 bht. With the current level of salaries that is not possible.  

There were four tests and they were incredibly hard to get any revision material for and from what I read, even harder to pass.

If it was so simple when you started, why did you not take the course and tests?

The requirements of a degree in education or a graduate diploma exists since 2003 and 2006. From 2007 or 2008 until 2011 applicants could also sit the TCT Professional Knowledge Tests. However, after 11 times, the tests were abandoned.

Notthingham PGCEi cost 150,000 THB while the IFUGAO graduate course cost 55,000 THB.

After reading your several posts I'm wondering where you got all your incorrect information from. Or is there a language barrier?

There is this information I came across online while looking for the information. 
Is this still working or (as other members) mentioned it has been abandoned. So the only way that exist now is the degree in education and nothing else? So they dumped their other 2 ways and not replaced it with anything else?

Aidenai the first school I worked for, nobody had any clue on how or what actually works. Out of all the teachers nobody was ever given any solid information. Two worked for a whole year without any docs. 

About the price, I might need to look into that 55k, as with two kids this might be the only way I can do it. 

On 2/14/2017 at 3:04 PM, sup3r1or said:

So the only way that exist now is the degree in education and nothing else?

Degree in education or a (post) graduate diploma in education/ teaching profession.

On 2/14/2017 at 3:04 PM, sup3r1or said:

About the price, I might need to look into that 55k, as with two kids this might be the only way I can do it. 

Follow the link below. 20 pages of info on this course.

thailandteaching.asia/threads/ifugao-state-university-ongoing-course-information.61599/

Archived