Another foreign tourist killed on Phuket's roads

snoop1130

Another foreign tourist killed on Phuket's roads

Kritsada Mueanhawong

1_201723151643562_xjSMmthgHYPvZaqhFhMkDM

PHUKET:-- Another foreign tourist in Phuket, this time a young Turkish man, died in a motorbike crash in Kathu District at about 10pm last night. 

The incident occurred near the Red Mountain Golf Course. Police and rescue workers arrived at the scene to find Hussain Cengiz Coskun, 24, lying on the road next to an electric pole with severe head injuries. He was bleeding profusely. 

A broken helmet was also found at the scene.

Full Story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Another-foreign-tourist-killed-Phukets-roads/66218?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2017-2-3

29 minutes ago, impulse said:

It would probably get the message out better if the headline indicated that it was a tourist on a scooter.

Edit:  And apparently, a tourist on a scooter with a helmet.

what you call a scooter at home is 50cc and can get those here wont require license or number plate but they are pretty hard to come by however and in denmark theres two version 30km/t limited and 45km/t limited and the last you are required to have  a car license to drive on the roads ...

most here are water-cooled 110cc, 125cc or 150cc and they are motorbikes ... ask your insurance company before you have an accident yourself and left uncovered, the bikes go +100km/t incase of the honda PCX 150 its limited to 140km/t so not scooters ! :)

and what helmet concerned its just a hat for police dont stop you, go buy a big bike helmet if was security ...

1_201723151643562_KeZwVkGEuIHJjypKxiDppmCxHRquwsBHXbDtLKxG_jpeg.jpeg

11 minutes ago, g2x3k said:

what you call a scooter at home is 50cc and can get those here wont require license or number plate but they are pretty hard to come by however and in denmark theres two version 30km/t limited and 45km/t limited and the last you are required to have  a car license to drive on the roads ...

most here are water-cooled 110cc, 125cc or 150cc and they are motorbikes ... ask your insurance company before you have an accident yourself and left uncovered, the bikes go +100km/t incase of the honda PCX 150 its limited to 140km/t so not scooters ! :)

and what helmet concerned its just a hat for police dont stop you, go buy a big bike helmet if was security ...

Where I come from, if it's got 2 wheels, it's referred to (lovingly) as a scooter, or a sled.  We have scooters with Chevy V8 engines, and scooters that do over 200 km/hr in their lower gears.

There's a concurrent thread that touches on the vagaries of scooter insurance in Thailand at some depth:

As far as the helmet goes, US and Aus studies show that riding a scooter is 20-40 times (2,000-4,000%) as dangerous per km as riding in a 4 wheel vehicle.  The helmets reduce that by about 40%.  The safety Rubicon is crossed when you choose a 2 wheeler over a 4 wheeled vehicle.  Helmets are a great idea, but they won't keep your arms, legs or head attached.

Apearently alone on the road, loose control and smash into an electric pole....hmmm?? Sounds a lot to me like drugs or alcohol involved. If not the man might have been blind or sleeping, but it ain´t easy to fall asleep on a motorbike. However, RIP to the man regardless of the reason.

15 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Apearently alone on the road, loose control and smash into an electric pole....hmmm?? Sounds a lot to me like drugs or alcohol involved. If not the man might have been blind or sleeping, but it ain´t easy to fall asleep on a motorbike. However, RIP to the man regardless of the reason.

Look at the flip-flop.

Alcohol is a drug.

33 minutes ago, bbbbooboo said:

hmmm....300 baht helmet= no protection

For 300 THB you have at least 3 of those helmets. 

It looks like an helmet but protection is zero point zero. It only protects you from bird $#!t getting on your head. 

18 hours ago, g2x3k said:

My scooters were a Lambretta TV 175cc and a Vespa SS180cc...Motorcycles had big diameter wheels...:smile:

On 2/3/2017 at 7:02 PM, g2x3k said:

Getting on a scooter, or a motorcycle anywhere in Thailand, much less Phuket or Samui without a very good helmet, is like playing Russian Roulette with three or four bullets in the chamber. It is absolutely asking for problems. The degree of recklessness here is astounding. And many foreigners come here thinking "how much trouble could I get in on a little scooter, on a tropical island"? Well, the answer is alot. The amount of foreigners who are killed on the Southern islands is staggering. Most are not reported in the media. I had a friend who worked for Samui rescue for many years, and said the numbers were about 30-60 a month, on Samui, Phangan and Koh Tao. The official number is about 3 a month. Rider beware. Use as good a helmet as you can afford, and do not use these eggshells pieces of crap. They crack at the first impact, and what lies underneath them? Your skull, which is very delicate. 

Just ask yourself- do I have enough problems already, without a broken skull, or smashed head, or face injury, or lost eye? I have two friends who have been in motorbike accidents on Samui within the last two years. One still cannot walk, or talk or function on her own, from a motorbike accident, where she hit her head on the pavement going only 20 kph. The other one has lost alot of his mental capacity after hitting his head. He insisted for years he would never wear a helmet. Now, he seems 15 years older. 

Getting on a scooter, or a motorcycle anywhere in Thailand, much less Phuket or Samui without a very good helmet, is like playing Russian Roulette with three or four bullets in the chamber. It is absolutely asking for problems. The degree of recklessness here is astounding. And many foreigners come here thinking "how much trouble could I get in on a little scooter, on a tropical island"? Well, the answer is alot. The amount of foreigners who are killed on the Southern islands is staggering. Most are not reported in the media. I had a friend who worked for Samui rescue for many years, and said the numbers were about 30-60 a month, on Samui, Phangan and Koh Tao. The official number is about 3 a month. Rider beware. Use as good a helmet as you can afford, and do not use these eggshells pieces of crap. They crack at the first impact, and what lies underneath them? Your skull, which is very delicate. 

Just ask yourself- do I have enough problems already, without a broken skull, or smashed head, or face injury, or lost eye? I have two friends who have been in motorbike accidents on Samui within the last two years. One still cannot walk, or talk or function on her own, from a motorbike accident, where she hit her head on the pavement going only 20 kph. The other one has lost alot of his mental capacity after hitting his head. He insisted for years he would never wear a helmet. Now, he seems 15 years older. 

Sorry, don't believe that. It would be impossible these days to keep those numbers out of the press and social media if they were true.

sent using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, FitnessHealthTravel said:

While helmets won't save you every time this is NOT a quality helmet nor would it be certified in most Countries but hey...this is Thailand, who really cares?

Right, nobody does, just keep  shuffling mindlessly on.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Sorry, don't believe that. It would be impossible these days to keep those numbers out of the press and social media if they were true.

sent using Tapatalk

I was told by a very reliable source. He did not have an agenda. He rescued alot of the survivors. He attended to alot of the ones who did not make it. The press here is highly censored. The report only what the so called leaders want them to report. Nothing else. Social media? Why would social media report these statistics? They report individual accidents, but not overall statistics. Anything you read about accidents on Samui in the media would be false. 

• Road deaths are now calculated based on fatalities on-site. Victims dying later in hospital not counted.
  • In 2000 there was an average of 30 deaths a month on Koh Samui (official figures released each month).
  • Now it is stated that Koh Samui has 3-5 deaths each month (using the new way of reporting road deaths).
  • In the last ten years the population has almost doubled and there are now 5x more vehicles on Koh Samui.
  • Based on ‘official figures’ today it is possible to estimate that Koh Samui currently has 60 deaths per million per year. (Compared to 23 in London.) Based on the population and traffic density statistics from 10 years ago Koh Samui has in reality 720 deaths per million per year. This is probably the highest rate of road deaths in the world. Samui is a fatality death spot that nobody is willing to acknowledge!

I was told by a very reliable source. He did not have an agenda. He rescued alot of the survivors. He attended to alot of the ones who did not make it. The press here is highly censored. The report only what the so called leaders want them to report. Nothing else. Social media? Why would social media report these statistics? They report individual accidents, but not overall statistics. Anything you read about accidents on Samui in the media would be false. 

• Road deaths are now calculated based on fatalities on-site. Victims dying later in hospital not counted.
  • In 2000 there was an average of 30 deaths a month on Koh Samui (official figures released each month).
  • Now it is stated that Koh Samui has 3-5 deaths each month (using the new way of reporting road deaths).
  • In the last ten years the population has almost doubled and there are now 5x more vehicles on Koh Samui.
  • Based on ‘official figures’ today it is possible to estimate that Koh Samui currently has 60 deaths per million per year. (Compared to 23 in London.) Based on the population and traffic density statistics from 10 years ago Koh Samui has in reality 720 deaths per million per year. This is probably the highest rate of road deaths in the world. Samui is a fatality death spot that nobody is willing to acknowledge!

As I said, I don't believe your count.
Btw, victims dying in hospital later are included in the road fatalities, that it is different is an urban TVF myth.

sent using Tapatalk

On 2/5/2017 at 0:06 PM, stevenl said:

As I said, I don't believe your count.
Btw, victims dying in hospital later are included in the road fatalities, that it is different is an urban TVF myth.

sent using Tapatalk

Well, few believed in gravity before Newton put forth his theories. Even afterwards, many though him a nut job. Few believed in distant solar systems and galaxies prior to Galileo. Few thought healing was possible with medicines, prior to Pasteur. Believing or not believing has absolutely no bearing on the reality that exists on the ground in Thailand, and on the southern islands, when it comes to the horrific safety record, and the traffic fatalities. 

Well, few believed in gravity before Newton put forth his theories. Even afterwards, many though him a nut job. Few believed in distant solar systems and galaxies prior to Galileo. Few thought healing was possible with medicines, prior to Pasteur. Believing or not believing has absolutely no bearing on the reality that exists on the ground in Thailand, and on the southern islands, when it comes to the horrific safety record, and the traffic fatalities. 

You keep repeating the same posts over and over. I still don't believe your numbers.

sent using Tapatalk

On 2/5/2017 at 7:06 AM, stevenl said:

sent using Tapatalk

Not true. Do you have any idea how censored the press is here? They report hardly anything, that the authorities do not want them to report. No independence whatsoever.

Archived