Another foreign tourist killed on Phuket's roads

snoop1130

Not true. Do you have any idea how censored the press is here? They report hardly anything, that the authorities do not want them to report. No independence whatsoever.

I think you missed the word 'social'.

sent using Tapatalk

Thailand really needs to have minimum safety requirements for motorcycle helmets. It is time to do this. It is in the best interests of the people. I understand that this can be cost prohibitive for poor people. A low, or no interest loan scheme. Would help resolve this issue. Similar to what was done to help first time car buyers. Insurance companies should also have a insurance discount, for people, who buy the helmets.

On 18/02/2017 at 7:48 AM, philliphn said:

Thailand really needs to have minimum safety requirements for motorcycle helmets. It is time to do this. It is in the best interests of the people. I understand that this can be cost prohibitive for poor people. A low, or no interest loan scheme. Would help resolve this issue. Similar to what was done to help first time car buyers. Insurance companies should also have a insurance discount, for people, who buy the helmets.

There is no cure for stupidity. If people want to die riding a motorcycle without helmet, you got to let them.

Still 1000's of tourists and expats are wearing 200 baht Big C helmets and couldn't care less, well this is the result.    

How hard is it to offer helmets that WILL protect you? 3-4000 baht helmets should at least be offered to tourists who think they are fine with the helmet offered by the rental company .  

Expats , well they are living their dream in Thailand so they can just continue until the end will hit them like a pole. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/22/2017 at 8:53 PM, stevenl said:

A country has to protect its citizens, also against themselves.

On 2/22/2017 at 9:11 PM, Bassosa said:

Noble thought, but not their responsibility.

On 2/23/2017 at 5:52 AM, stevenl said:

Disagree, that is the reason why nearly all countries require helmets on mopeds and motorbikes.

Interesting issue, I think you both are right. I believe any (adult) should be able to choose how much risk they want to take. It's the same with smoking or other unhealthy behaviours. One reason why a government wants to stop that, apart from ethics and human compassion, is that it has a cost on society in terms of medical bills.

But please let's not illude ourselves with cost of helmets being the reason (some other posts). First, anyone who can afford a motorbike and the fuel to run it, can afford a decent helmet which will last a dozen years. Second, you can plainly see that many have helmets on their scooters, just not on their heads. Ready to put it on if they see a police block, but otherwise they cannot be bothered to have it mess their hair or their looks. Same with sunglasses, how many times we see people driving with one hand only and the other covering their eyes.

And it's not only Thais. I know farangs with tens of millions invested here, who refuse to wear a helmet as if it was an insult, and who laugh at the 200Baht occasional fine. I have also seen tourists rent a motorbike, and when the shop owner hands them the helmets, say "do I really have to wear it?"

I would suggest that if you are in an accident without helmet (or the helmet comes off because it's not latched), all medical costs are on you. It's the same in Europe e.g. with seatbelts. Then just do as you please.

If you ride a motorbike and don't wear a helmet your stupid, it's been proven they save lives, argue as much against as you like but it just so obviously dumb not to wear one.

I see plenty of Western and Thai parents taking their kids to school with no helmet on, morons are setting a great example aren't they!

Archived