Tip of the day: Don’t go out in Pattaya wearing gold, as yet another foreign tourist is robbed

rooster59

Tip of the day: Don’t go out in Pattaya wearing gold, as yet another foreign tourist is robbed

16299204_1746418665676425_685334124121455613_n.jpg

Image: Pattaya News

PATTAYA:-- Another foreign tourist has been robbed in the latest of a spate of necklace snatches to hit the popular resort.

In the early hours of Saturday morning, Mr Lee Youngwon, 41, had his gold necklace snatched from around his neck in the Nong Prue area of Pattaya.

The robbery happened on Soi Nernplubwan close to Tesco Lotus at around 2.30am.

Mr Lee told police how he was walking with friends when he was approached from behind by a man wearing black clothes and a motorcycle helmet. Before he could react the man had already grabbed Mr Lee’s gold necklace from around his neck before escaping on a motorbike.

Mr Lee was unable to provide police with a description of the motorbike or its vehicle registration number.

Mr Lee told police his gold chain was worth in the region 70,000 baht.

Police have said they are studying CCTV footage to try and identify the suspect.

This is third such robbery to take place in Pattaya this week alone.

In the early hours of last Saturday (Jan 28) a Korean doctor was robbed of a gold necklace worth a reported 150,000 baht.

2p2.jpg

Dr Chang talking with police.

Following the incident, which happened on Soi Petchtrakun, Dr Chang said: “Before I came on holiday I heard there were cases like this happening every day in Pattaya, so I took care. But I never really thought it would happen to me.

“It is sad that Pattaya is so dangerous for visitors. The police need to do something about it”.

On the same day, another Korean tourist was relieved of a gold chain worth 90,000 baht after it was snatched by a motorbike rider on Soi Paniat Chang.

On Friday, a woman from Finland who had only arrived in Pattaya hours earlier was robbed of two gold chains she was wearing. Witnesses reported seeing a person on a motocycle approach the woman at Wat Bun Kanchana Road before snatching the chains.

1a.jpg

The incident left the woman with lacerations to her neck. The chains were worth an estimated 50,000 baht. Thai media later reported a motorcycle taxi driver had been arrested for carrying out the robbery.

On January 26, a Chinese tourist was robbed of his 40,000 baht gold chain in the Soi Naklua area of Banglamung.

Earlier that month (Jan 9) a twenty five year old Chinese man had his 6 baht gold chain worth 120,000 baht stolen by a thief on a motorcycle.

On January 14, a British man and his wife managed to fight off a mugger on Pattaya 3rd road, who attempted to snatch the man’s 5 baht gold chain worth 100,000 baht.

p.png.9268a02e4ae31d892749d7930bab66fb.p

The attempted robbery happened as Mr Nigel Connole, 47, [name transliterated] was out shopping with his wife.

Mr Connole managed to fight off the mugger who only managed to escape with one half of the gold chain.

From reports in Thai media, it is not clear if police in Pattaya are linking any of the incidents above.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-02-04

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

Full stop.

Not even an average of 1 incident per day at the height of high season. For a city of this size with so many visitors here as well, some posters are making a mountain out of a molehill. It's not a crime wave, it's barely a ripple. I sympathise with the victims but a lack of forewarning combined with their own poor judgement contribute to the problem.

I live in the relatively safe city of Chiang Mai and even here I would not wear jewellery worth thousands of bahts, or in fact anywhere these days. I would not carry lots of cash with me either.

Last month my cousin in London had an expensive necklace ripped off his neck by 3 black men on the London tube, all happened during the daytime and even with CCT the thieves still have not been caught. Be safe and leave valuables at home when going out, no matter where you are.

20 minutes ago, champers said:

Not even an average of 1 incident per day at the height of high season. For a city of this size with so many visitors here as well, some posters are making a mountain out of a molehill. It's not a crime wave, it's barely a ripple. I sympathise with the victims but a lack of forewarning combined with their own poor judgement contribute to the problem.

some posters -  Apart from the news item itself yours was the second post

Lack of forewarning and poor judgement - So you're blaming  the authorities and victims. What's with the perpetrators, wrong place at the wrong time?

You need to be on the receiving end a few times

In Pattaya it seems most of these gold jewellery robberies happen in the early hours of the morning, around 2-3AM. Clearly this is not the time to show off your gold.

Beat me to it, seems like the thieves figure that by this time of night the victims will be oiled up enough not put up much of a struggle !!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

“It is sad that Pattaya is so dangerous for visitors. The police need to do something about it”.

They are haven't you noticed? Its called sitting on their backsides laughing at tourists

Pattaya: destination for quality tourists. Thai capital of crime and corruption. Good advertising for TAT.  Tourist numbers will drop further. The best is to avoid places like Phuket and Pattaya.

Tourist numbers will not drop as the lady at TAT as a magic calculator and it takes care of tourist numbers

Quality Tourists

Sorry they do not come to Thailand

47 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

I live in the relatively safe city of Chiang Mai and even here I would not wear jewellery worth thousands of bahts, or in fact anywhere these days. I would not carry lots of cash with me either.

Last month my cousin in London had an expensive necklace ripped off his neck by 3 black men on the London tube, all happened during the daytime and even with CCT the thieves still have not been caught. Be safe and leave valuables at home when going out, no matter where you are.

Ok, I think I've got it:

"Leave your valuables at home wherever you are, and run away if you see a black man when in London."

Thanks for the heads up.

8 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

They are haven't you noticed? Its called sitting on their backsides laughing at tourists

Pattaya: destination for quality tourists. Thai capital of crime and corruption. Good advertising for TAT.  Tourist numbers will drop further. The best is to avoid places like Phuket and Pattaya.

Tourist numbers will not drop as the lady at TAT as a magic calculator and it takes care of tourist numbers

Quality Tourists

Not true.It happens in London ,New York ,Paris etc.as well and far more dangerous than here!Special tourist places like Pattaya and Phuket can be dangerous cos. night life ,but we do not need to provoke muggers with big golden chains and lot of money with us!Just live normal,modest life and nothing bad will happened to you!!!I was robbed once in Phnom Phen,Cambodia,but as I think now it was my fault,cos. I took about 3000 $ with me in the pocket and I was careless and show thick pile of money in bar  and that was it.Same if you wear big golden chains or necklace among poor people and muggers!!!I live here 6 years already and I never had problem in Thailand.Manila is far more dangerous than Pattaya as well!!!

4 minutes ago, vukovar77 said:

Not true.It happens in London ,New York ,Paris etc.as well and far more dangerous than here!Special tourist places like Pattaya and Phuket can be dangerous cos. night life ,but we do not need to provoke muggers with big golden chains and lot of money with us!Just live normal,modest life and nothing bad will happened to you!!!I was robbed once in Phnom Phen,Cambodia,but as I think now it was my fault,cos. I took about 3000 $ with me in the pocket and I was careless and show thick pile of money in bar  and that was it.Same if you wear big golden chains or necklace among poor people and muggers!!!I live here 6 years already and I never had problem in Thailand.Manila is far more dangerous than Pattaya as well!!!

You obviously have some vested interests in Pattaya, because what you have just posted is utter nonsense. Pattaya appears to have more crime concerning foreigners in one day than many other places in Thailand have in one year

20 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

Quality Tourists

Another poster who doesn't have a clue about the reality of tourism in Thailand and believes the world exists only as they see it, in a very narrow view. He doesn't see the thousands of people who stay at the Chedi's, the Anantara's, the Shangiri la's et al, or the ones who stay at the 17k a night Panmivan and their mountain equivalents, the tourists who drop 300k at a time in the hotels boutique shop and tell staff to ship it all to their home address. But of course most people wouldn't see such things, especially  when only looking in the beer bars and go-go's of Pattaya and Phuket - quality tourists, Thailand has them in spades!

There are so many hundreds of You Tube vlogs on this place, that there is really no need to ever go there. You can see all the so-so working girls, and the fatty sex-pats, the garbage, and the excruciating live-band renditions of Hotel California all from the safety of your room, and have a jolly good laugh. 

15 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Another poster who doesn't have a clue about the reality of tourism in Thailand and believes the world exists only as they see it, in a very narrow view. He doesn't see the thousands of people who stay at the Chedi's, the Anantara's, the Shangiri la's et al, or the ones who stay at the 17k a night Panmivan and their mountain equivalents, the tourists who drop 300k at a time in the hotels boutique shop and tell staff to ship it all to their home address. But of course most people wouldn't see such things, especially  when only looking in the beer bars and go-go's of Pattaya and Phuket - quality tourists, Thailand has them in spades!

30 years in Thai and I do not know the place

OK you know better than me

1 minute ago, wakeupplease said:

30 years in Thai and I do not know the place

OK you know better than me

You could say that you've lived here for a hundred years and it wouldn't change the facts - you said there are no quality tourists in Thailand, yet they exist in their thousands, if you've been here so long why didn't you know that and why haven't you ever seen them!

Archived