Transfer Visa to New Passport

I visited family in England  over christmas and whilst there i got a new passport. Assuming that there would be no issues using both the passports i entered back into Thailand over new year. The immigration officer was confused and didn't know what to do but ended up letting me in with a stamp in my new passport satisfying the 3month extension on my non O marriage visa.

Im now worried having read somewhere that you need to transfer visas to a new passport from the old one. Can anyone please help me with this? Do you think i will have troubles with my current visa stamp and validity of my staying here having not transferred the visas yet. How does one begin transferring visas on passports?

Many thanks 

You have nothing to worry about and nothing to do. You have a valid permit (stamp) to stay in the correct passport. The visa is just required for entry so if it's still valid, and you want to use it in the future, just show both passports.

9 minutes ago, localczar said:

a friend of mine had his retirement visa transferred to a new passport...cost 200B I think

That was a extension of stay based upon retirement that was transferred. Immigration does not transfer visas.

They only do a stamp with spaces for info about the old passport and the visa that was used for the entry that has been extended.

• Like 2

well, they transferred his R visa which was only one month old at the time to a new passport...

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That was a extension of stay based upon retirement that was transferred. Immigration does not transfer visas.

They only do a stamp with spaces for info about the old passport and the visa that was used for the entry that has been extended.

sounds like the same thing...

I'm off to Kap Choeng next Friday for 90-day reporting. I have a beautiful new absolutely virginal Aussie p/p. Until I read above, I was planning to make photocopies in advance of all Thai-relevant entries in the old p/p + the info page of the new one & take them along to request relevant transfers (as per other earlier threads re new p/ps). But this thread suggests I need do nothing other than take myself & 2 p/ps along?

3 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

I'm off to Kap Choeng next Friday for 90-day reporting. I have a beautiful new absolutely virginal Aussie p/p. Until I read above, I was planning to make photocopies in advance of all Thai-relevant entries in the old p/p + the info page of the new one & take them along to request relevant transfers (as per other earlier threads re new p/ps). But this thread suggests I need do nothing other than take myself & 2 p/ps along?

If you have an extension of stay issued at immigration you will need to have your stamps transferred. Only visas are not transferred.

You will likely need a copy of every page in the old passport that has any stamp for visa for Thailand on it.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you have an extension of stay issued at immigration you will need to have your stamps transferred. Only visas are not transferred.

You will likely need a copy of every page in the old passport that has any stamp for visa for Thailand on it.

you are SO wrong.....

13 hours ago, localczar said:

well, they transferred his R visa which was only one month old at the time to a new passport...

sounds like the same thing...

No. Extensions of stay are transferred. Visas are not. Definitely not the same thing. The O/P will need to use both passports until the visa expires.

The fact that you don't know the difference undermines your credibility.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, localczar said:

you are SO wrong.....

eat your own words.

just done mine before christmas,a copy of every page of your old passport,which includes the type of visa you had when entering thailand. your permission to stay is called AN EXTENSION that is what will go into your new passport.

there will be a service fee,no receipt.

2 minutes ago, meatboy said:

eat your own words.

just done mine before christmas,a copy of every page of your old passport,which includes the type of visa you had when entering thailand. your permission to stay is called AN EXTENSION that is what will go into your new passport.

there will be a service fee,no receipt.

Depends on where you do it. When I transferred extension stamps it was free ... at Jomtien.

Visas are nit transferred to a new passport.

What is done is that immigration will, if you make an extension on that new visa, they will put a note in Thai in your new passport showing that your old passport still contains a still valid visa.

It is the normal procedure.

carry both your passports until you need a new visa or you intend to get an extension on your visa.

Went through this process at Chaeng Wattana a couple of weeks ago. I'd been in and out of the country half a dozen times with both passports until my new extension was due. Officer did the transfer with just a few pages copied. NOT every page. Simple process and no charge.

15 hours ago, localczar said:

a friend of mine had his retirement visa transferred to a new passport...cost 200B I think

This time last year, I had everything from my old passport transferred to the new one at Chiang Mai Immigration with no problem whatsoever and for free.

44 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

This time last year, I had everything from my old passport transferred to the new one at Chiang Mai Immigration with no problem whatsoever and for free.

I find it totally amazing people do not know what’s in their passport, they do not know the difference between a VISA and an EXTENSION.  ANY  Thai VISA and there are many are non-transferable which means  It can not be removed from original passport, What immigration does is  put a note in Thai in your new passport showing that your old passport still contains a  valid visa, and transfer any Extensions you may have, as an Extension is NOT a visa

This subject has been addressed  many times on here and its the same Visa's can not be transferred Extensions can

Edited by MikeandDow

I had my extension of stay transferred to a new passport in Samui a couple a years ago.  So this is from my experience.

1.  There is no fee (not even on Samui)

2.  I did not have to provide photocopies of any pages of my passports, they may have taken some themselves but I was not charged if they did.

3.  I did provide a letter from my embassy confirming that I had changed passports and the details of the old and new passports (plus a copy of the letter), this is listed in the regulations.

4.  I did it at the same time as my 90 day report, no need to rush in once you get the new passport.

For the letter I just called my embassy to ask about it and sent them an e-mail with photos of the ID pages from both passports, they sent back a pdf of the letter the same day and the physical letter a couple of days later by post.  There was no charge for the letter but that depends on the embassy (I was using NZ).

All up it took about 30 minutes including the 90 day report, which was fast for the old Samui office.

I had my Extension of Stay based on retirement transferred to my new (UK) passport in Hua Hin Immigration last November. Provided copies of my new passport ID page, original O-A Visa and Extension of Stays from my old passport and letter from the British Embassy in Bangkok (they emailed it and I added details, date etc. and printed it off). Took about 20 minutes and Immigration Officer charged me 500 baht, no receipt.

I obtained my new passport when I was in the UK. Only issue I had was when I entered Thailand on 1 November 2016 at Suvarnabhumi airport, where I presented my new and old passports and the Immigration Officer did not know what to do. They went off, spoke to another Immigration Officer, came back and stamped Permission to to Stay until 7 November 2016 and told me to go to my local Immigration Office. My latest Extension of Stay at that time provided

Permission to Stay until 19 December 2016 - I had a re-entry permit. 

Went to Hua Hin Immigration on 3 November 2016 and apart from being told the Immigration Officer at Suvarnabhumi airport had done things incorrectly my Extension of Stay was transferred to my new passport. I have subsequently got a new Extension of Stay with Permission to Stay until 19 December 2017. 

There is an un-numbered form titled

เรื ่ อง  ขอให ย ายตราประทั บลงในหนั งสื อเดิ นทางเล มใหม
SUBJECT  TRANSFER STAMP TO NEW PASSPORT

เรี ยน  สว. กก.2 บก.ตม.กทม.
TO  INSPECTOR OF SUB-DIVISION 2, BANGKOK IMMIGRATION DIVISION

I cannot remember if the officer at Phitsanulok took any notice of it but there was a service fee last November

On 2017-02-06 at 7:30 AM, Suradit69 said:

No. Extensions of stay are transferred. Visas are not. Definitely not the same thing. The O/P will need to use both passports until the visa expires.

The fact that you don't know the difference undermines your credibility.

Hmmm...he travels in/out of Thailand with new passport only, don't need both. I asked him yesterday. It is you thats undermined..."know-it-all". 

1 hour ago, localczar said:

Hmmm...he travels in/out of Thailand with new passport only, don't need both. I asked him yesterday. It is you thats undermined..."know-it-all". 

This topic is about the OP who has a valid visa in an old passport and needs to use both passports until the visa expires.

@Suradit69 was referring to the OP and not your friend. Your friend seems to have an extension of stay and not a valid visa.

You are causing confusing with your lack of knowledge regarding the difference.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, localczar said:

I clearly stated:"  The O/P will need to use both passports until the visa expires. "

Do you understand what "O/P" means? The original poster. Neither you nor your friend is the original poster. Since the original poster said he had a valid visa in his old passport, he will need to use both passports when entering the country or otherwise dealing with immigrations.

You seem confused about so many things.

14 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

I clearly stated:"  The O/P will need to use both passports until the visa expires. "

Do you understand what "O/P" means? The original poster. Neither you nor your friend is the original poster. Since the original poster said he had a valid visa in his old passport, he will need to use both passports when entering the country or otherwise dealing with immigrations.

You seem confused about so many things.

right, better than being a simpleton.