Jump to content
BANGKOK
Sambo5000

Transfer Visa to New Passport

Recommended Posts

I visited family in England  over christmas and whilst there i got a new passport. Assuming that there would be no issues using both the passports i entered back into Thailand over new year. The immigration officer was confused and didn't know what to do but ended up letting me in with a stamp in my new passport satisfying the 3month extension on my non O marriage visa.

Im now worried having read somewhere that you need to transfer visas to a new passport from the old one. Can anyone please help me with this? Do you think i will have troubles with my current visa stamp and validity of my staying here having not transferred the visas yet. How does one begin transferring visas on passports?

 

Many thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You cannot transfer visas. only extensions of stay.  Nothing to worry about, just carry both passports.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have a valid multiple entry non-o visa in your old passport it remains valid until it expires. You will have to use both passports on entry until it expires to use it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have nothing to worry about and nothing to do. You have a valid permit (stamp) to stay in the correct passport. The visa is just required for entry so if it's still valid, and you want to use it in the future, just show both passports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, localczar said:

a friend of mine had his retirement visa transferred to a new passport...cost 200B I think

That was a extension of stay based upon retirement that was transferred. Immigration does not transfer visas.

They only do a stamp with spaces for info about the old passport and the visa that was used for the entry that has been extended.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well, they transferred his R visa which was only one month old at the time to a new passport...

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That was a extension of stay based upon retirement that was transferred. Immigration does not transfer visas.

They only do a stamp with spaces for info about the old passport and the visa that was used for the entry that has been extended.

sounds like the same thing...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm off to Kap Choeng next Friday for 90-day reporting. I have a beautiful new absolutely virginal Aussie p/p. Until I read above, I was planning to make photocopies in advance of all Thai-relevant entries in the old p/p + the info page of the new one & take them along to request relevant transfers (as per other earlier threads re new p/ps). But this thread suggests I need do nothing other than take myself & 2 p/ps along?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

I'm off to Kap Choeng next Friday for 90-day reporting. I have a beautiful new absolutely virginal Aussie p/p. Until I read above, I was planning to make photocopies in advance of all Thai-relevant entries in the old p/p + the info page of the new one & take them along to request relevant transfers (as per other earlier threads re new p/ps). But this thread suggests I need do nothing other than take myself & 2 p/ps along?

If you have an extension of stay issued at immigration you will need to have your stamps transferred. Only visas are not transferred.

You will likely need a copy of every page in the old passport that has any stamp for visa for Thailand on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you have an extension of stay issued at immigration you will need to have your stamps transferred. Only visas are not transferred.

You will likely need a copy of every page in the old passport that has any stamp for visa for Thailand on it.

you are SO wrong.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, localczar said:

well, they transferred his R visa which was only one month old at the time to a new passport...

sounds like the same thing...

No. Extensions of stay are transferred. Visas are not. Definitely not the same thing. The O/P will need to use both passports until the visa expires.

 

The fact that you don't know the difference undermines your credibility.

 

 

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, localczar said:

you are SO wrong.....

eat your own words.

just done mine before christmas,a copy of every page of your old passport,which includes the type of visa you had when entering thailand. your permission to stay is called AN EXTENSION that is what will go into your new passport.

there will be a service fee,no receipt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, meatboy said:

eat your own words.

just done mine before christmas,a copy of every page of your old passport,which includes the type of visa you had when entering thailand. your permission to stay is called AN EXTENSION that is what will go into your new passport.

there will be a service fee,no receipt.

Depends on where you do it. When I transferred extension stamps it was free ... at Jomtien.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...