Australian woman dead after colliding with husband's jetski at Kata Beach

webfact

Australian woman dead after colliding with husband's jetski at Kata Beach

Eakkapop Thongtub

1486300309_1.jpg

Rescue workers perform CPR on the woman at Kata Beach. Photo: Ekkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- An Australian woman, Emily Jayne Collie, 20, has died after colliding with her husband as the couple were riding jetskis near Kata Beach at 4:45pm today (5 Feb).

The married couple hired two jetskis earlier that day from a vendor at Karon Beach and reportedly rode them at high speed to Kata Beach.

While riding near Kata Beach the couple collided in the water at high speed and the woman suffered severe injuries to her neck and shoulders.

The man, who has not yet been identified, suffered only minor injuries.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/australian-woman-dead-after-colliding-with-husband-jetski-at-kata-beach-60915.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-02-06

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Australian student killed in jetski crash with boyfriend in Thailand

jj.jpg

Emily Jayne Collie, 20, died in a jetski crash in Thailand. (Facebook)

PHUKET:  An Australian university student has been killed in a jetski crash with her boyfriend in Thailand.

Emily Jayne Collie, 20, from country Victoria, was riding a jetski when it crashed with the one her boyfriend was riding at Kata Beach in Phuket yesterday.

She suffered serious neck and shoulder injuries and was pulled unconscious from the water. Lifeguards tried to revive her, but she died en route to the hospital.

Full story: http://www.9news.com.au/national/2017/02/06/05/15/victorian-woman-killed-in-jet-skiing-accident-in-thailand/

-- 9NEWS 2017-02-06

Victorian woman killed after her jet-ski collided with her partner's off Phuket beach

Lindsay Murdoch, Emily Woods

Bangkok: A 20-year-old Victorian woman has been killed when jet-skis collided in waters off the Thai tourist island of Phuket.

Emily Jayne Collie, from Kyabram, suffered severe neck and shoulder injuries in the crash near Kata Beach late on Sunday afternoon.

Thai media reported Ms Collie's rented jet-ski collided with another at high speed. The other jet-ski is believed to have been ridden by her partner, who suffered minor injuries.

Full story: http://www.smh.com.au/world/victorian-woman-killed-after-her-jetski-collided-with-her-husbands-off-phuket-beach-20170205-gu61uu.html

-- The Sydney Morning Herald 2017-02-06

What a lovely couple... very sad that a holiday and a life should end like this,

sadly, many tourists find themselves in  similar situation not having the skills

to ride or drive motorized leisure crafts before in their lives.....

On Australian news.  Absolute tragedy and she was so young and beautiful.  There should be a law that you must posses a licence to hire a jet ski,  motor bike etc.  I know you must have on in Australia but I guess that money comes before lives in Thailand.

11 minutes ago, Thechook said:

On Australian news.  Absolute tragedy and she was so young and beautiful.  There should be a law that you must posses a licence to hire a jet ski,  motor bike etc.  I know you must have on in Australia but I guess that money comes before lives in Thailand.

The same should apply to motorbikes. How many foreigners hiring bikes in Thailand havr bike licences from their home country?

10 minutes ago, DavisH said:

The same should apply to motorbikes. How many foreigners hiring bikes in Thailand havr bike licences from their home country?

Exactly what I said.  Making it compulsory to have a licence would destroy the industry and money is far more important than a farang seriously injuring themselves or dying.

That is so sad.....  talk of requiring a 'licence' is rather out of place, most countries do not have such a thing.

Surely they were having fun, but were playing a dangerous game and it can only be described as misadventure.

The husband will have many years of regret.

1 hour ago, Thechook said:

On Australian news.  Absolute tragedy and she was so young and . beautiful.  There should be a law that you must posses a licence to hire a jet ski,  motor bike etc.  I know you must have on in Australia but I guess that money comes before lives in Thailand.

Oh please, Australia being one of the most over regulated countries in the world .... no thanks.

How about just a little common

sense and acknowledge the dangers and consequences should one collide.

Exactly what I said.  Making it compulsory to have a licence would destroy the industry and money is far more important than a farang seriously injuring themselves or dying.

Yeah cause the annual death toll from jetski incidents is huge.

There is no such thing as a jetski licence in Thailand.

15 minutes ago, eggers said:

DFAT should have a warning on it's Smart Traveller posts advising tourist to avoid using jet skis & motor bikes due high level of physical danger & lack of insurance cover for use jet skis & motor bikes.  

As common sense is lacking these days should DFAT hold a persons hand whilst they go to the toilet as there is chance one my slip on a wet floor ?.

surely the enterprising thais could come up with a temporary license as the hirer has to do a certain time riding the machine under instruction before hiring. i know this may be the forerunner of another industry or scam, but to have a little experience other than none may be helpful

3 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

As common sense is lacking these days should DFAT hold a persons hand whilst they go to the toilet as there is chance one my slip on a wet floor ?.

No, but people do need to aware of dangers that may not be as self evident as a slippery wet floor.

The whole idea of Smart Traveller is to inform travellers of precautions that apply in countries  & what to avoid for health & safety.  

21 minutes ago, eggers said:

DFAT should have a warning on it's Smart Traveller posts advising tourist to avoid using jet skis & motor bikes due high level of physical danger & lack of insurance cover for use jet skis & motor bikes.  

And what a warning that notes * if

traveling to thailand and one lacks common sense for personal safety then please reconsider your trip. 

You definitely don't need a licence for a jet ski.. even a 6 year old can ride one. They should just have a proper training session beforehand with clear rules to keep a certain distance from others.

What I observed from a little more developed country (Croatia) where I was allowed to ride one at 10 years old, was that they had a remote control system that could be used to shut the engine in a second from the beach. So if you went too far, too near to the beach or too near to others they would shut the engine as a warning. You would restart and then continue, if you keep messing around they would shut the engine and come bring you back. 

1 minute ago, eggers said:

No, but people do need to aware of dangers that may not be as self evident as a slippery wet floor.

The whole idea of Smart Traveller is to inform travellers of precautions that apply in countries  & what to avoid for health & safety.  

Right, so smart traveler informs those who have no commonsense there is a possibility of  danger................. do they mention the plane may crash whilst enroute to their holiday destination ?

2 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Right, so smart traveler informs those who have no commonsense there is a possibility of  danger................. do they mention the plane may crash whilst enroute to their holiday destination ?

Unfortunately, commonsense is not common, so people don't necessarily see or realise possible dangers & simply suggesting, DFAT should alert people that's all.

I'll ignore your plane comment. 

13 minutes ago, SS1 said:

You definitely don't need a licence for a jet ski.. even a 6 year old can ride one. They should just have a proper training session beforehand with clear rules to keep a certain distance from others.

What I observed from a little more developed country (Croatia) where I was allowed to ride one at 10 years old, was that they had a remote control system that could be used to shut the engine in a second from the beach. So if you went too far, too near to the beach or too near to others they would shut the engine as a warning. You would restart and then continue, if you keep messing around they would shut the engine and come bring you back. 

AFAIK you absolutely by Thai law do need a licence for a jet ski.

A boat captains licence is required, and if this was enforced very few people would be able to rent a jetski.

However, as in most cases here, motorbikes, jetskis etc, surely if you have not the ability to safely enjoy the use of one commonmsense would prevail.

Sadly it appears that common sense these days is as rare as a boat captains licence.

The use of jet skis is hugely under-supervised in Thailand...and emergency services are way too skant.

If Thailand wishes to sell itself as an international holiday play ground they need to buck up their ideas and hopefully accidents like this will be more avoidable.

Blaming those on the jet skis is a simplistic approach - anyone who works with safety in any form will know full well the pervasive nature of human error - both active and judgmental - this is not a factor that can be significantly changed - what can be changed is the circumstances that allow unfortunate errors in behavior and judgment.

6 minutes ago, happyas said:

AFAIK you absolutely by Thai law do need a licence for a jet ski.

A boat captains licence is required, and if this was enforced very few people would be able to rent a jetski.

However, as in most cases here, motorbikes, jetskis etc, surely if you have not the ability to safely enjoy the use of one commonmsense would prevail.

Sadly it appears that common sense these days is as rare as a boat captains licence.

A boat licence is required. But being able to pilot a boat and ride a jetski are two different things. The fact is there is no jetski licence, where you have to prove you ability to ride a jetski.

Archived