Australian woman dead after colliding with husband's jetski at Kata Beach

webfact

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Mansell said:

I have seen these accidents on lakes in the USA. What usually happens is that the riders do not look behind themselves before executing a tight turn. The other jetskier is racing up on one side of them and cannot react quick enough, and BANG. If they are lucky they are not badly injured....sadly in this case it ended badly.

I believe the setting sun blinded them in this case.

Very sad.....but please folks, they are 2 adults using jet skis without due care, you cannot govern everything.

my Grandma fell over walking home on a pavement & yes died, so now we need pavement walking training ?????

When many people come to Thailand from  a western country they too often leave their common sense at home

& partake of behaviour that they would not do at home , so accidents will happen

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

Oh please, Australia being one of the most over regulated countries in the world .... no thanks.

How about just a little common

sense and acknowledge the dangers and consequences should one collide.

the don't rent this contraptions  to children , adults should know and understand the dangers of speed. likewise for the Motorbikes, considering the driving skills of  local farm boys  best not to use them.   

First this is a very tragic incident off course, and my deepest condolances to everyone concerned.

However, it does seem quite stupid to drive at a high speed when you are blinded by the light. For me that would be a total impossibility.

(Yes, I call it incident. I can´t just call it accident. An accident is something that is impossible to protect yourself enough from.That just wasn´t done!)

45 minutes ago, natway09 said:

my Grandma fell over walking home on a pavement & yes died, so now we need pavement walking training ?????

Was the pavement suitable for old people to walk on or was it in a state of disrepair?

I have a 70yo friend who disappeared completely down an unmarked hole in the pavement in Bali. He needed emergency services to get him out and a hospital stay to fix medical issues.

Sure, my dozy mate should have noticed the gap before falling in, but the people who left the hole there should take a large part of the blame too.

Without turning the place into another nanny state there needs to be a certain amount of responsibility by people in authority to save people from themselves.

I'm reminded of the bungy jumper in Patong who plunged into the ground because the equipment was old,  faulty and unregulated. Onus only on the user?

55 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Very sad.....but please folks, they are 2 adults using jet skis without due care, you cannot govern everything.

When many people come to Thailand from  a western country they too often leave their common sense at home

& partake of behaviour that they would not do at home , so accidents will happen

Pavements in asia certainly more dangerous then elsewhere especially for elderly.The danger about jet skis they have no brakes and if u want to change direction the only way to do this is to open the gas.Most do not know this and thay why is dangerous 

6 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Was the pavement suitable for old people to walk on or was it in a state of disrepair?

I have a 70yo friend who disappeared completely down an unmarked hole in the pavement in Bali. He needed emergency services to get him out and a hospital stay to fix medical issues.

Sure, my dozy mate should have noticed the gap before falling in, but the people who left the hole there should take a large part of the blame too.

Without turning the place into another nanny state there needs to be a certain amount of responsibility by people in authority to save people from themselves.

I'm reminded of the bungy jumper in Patong who plunged into the ground because the equipment was old,  faulty and unregulated. Onus only on the user?

Youse pays your money youse takes yer chances. Admittedly your walking surface should be in good repair by the municipality but being in Thailand these number of years its foolish to take that for granted. 

I feel so sad for young vibrant people who loose their life in this case 20. RIP young lady. I feel privileged to have made it as far as I have. I am not religious but it makes one wonder if someone higher up is rolling the dice of life. I am sure we have had a lot of close encounters and walked away lucky. I can relate to one and I am sure there were more. In this beautiful young lady's case I hope there is reincarnation she definitely deserves a second chance. 

13 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Most of the incidents you refer to [except the two on jetski that ran through the catamaran]  are not relevant to this incident IMO.

The others all, there is 3rd party at fault.

There is no other party at fault to take the blame here, just the guy who ran into his girlfriend at high speed because apparently the sun was in his eyes..

He, himself, was unfortunately 100% at fault.

20 minutes ago, sugarcane24 said:

I have always had an aversion to jet skis. I can't see the point of them - just seem to be a source of danger and of noise pollution. I wuld rather go swimming, snorkeling or sailing any day.

Your showing your age. Left all the high risk stuff behind you. Kind of a right of passage I guess. Completely different mindset during the 20's age wise. 

5 minutes ago, Fookhaht said:

From the articles, can anyone determine the relationship between the two Australians?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Not married.

In an 18 month relationship according to Aust news.

Poor guy will have this to think about for the rest of his life.

A moment of poor judgement is there for eternity.

4 hours ago, happyas said:

AFAIK you absolutely by Thai law do need a licence for a jet ski.

A boat captains licence is required, and if this was enforced very few people would be able to rent a jetski.

However, as in most cases here, motorbikes, jetskis etc, surely if you have not the ability to safely enjoy the use of one commonmsense would prevail.

Sadly it appears that common sense these days is as rare as a boat captains licence.

you need to be aware of the dangers first and most people simply aren't - it ISN"T 'common sense" - anything of water requires some training or rules...especially a hi-speed craft like a jet ski.

Those who think it is just a matter of getting on a turning the key are just as much a part of the problem.

14 minutes ago, Alan Deer said:

you need to be aware of the dangers first and most people simply aren't - it ISN"T 'common sense" - anything of water requires some training or rules...especially a hi-speed craft like a jet ski.

Those who think it is just a matter of getting on a turning the key are just as much a part of the problem.

Nonsense!

If you don't know how to operate anything and or have the ability to do so, ie, as you say 'aware of the dangers"

You just don't do it..simples 

That is common sense.

PS i'm not sure that you understand common sense;

common sense
noun

1. good sense and sound judgement in practical matters.
    "it is all a matter of common sense"

1 minute ago, happyas said:

Nonsense!

If you don't know how to operate anything and or have the ability to do so, ie, as you say 'aware of the dangers"

You just don't do it..simples 

That is common sense.

Unfortunately your attitude makes you part of the problem.........would you allow someone on a 1000 cc motorcycle without any training.......I have both sailing and motorboat licences and it astounds me how little people realise that without the most basic knowledge of water craft they they are both a danger to themselves and others - regardless of the craft they are in......they can't even get into or onto the craft correctly.

Archived