Australian woman dead after colliding with husband's jetski at Kata Beach

webfact

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, farcanell said:

They seem to refer to it as a recreational skippers ticket on the WA website....it could have been a PWC license in Queensland, but I can't remember

I was thinking a PWC license (or pick another name) might be something for tourist to have, following the mandatory demonstration of competency, to provide an auditable trail.

im pretty sure that some form of documentation, by whatever name, would be required to be issued to the hirer, and/or, as a minimum, kept by the operator.

Victoria, South Australia, New South Wales its a PWC. No licence required for tourists.

1 minute ago, Thechook said:

Channel 7 Aust are reporting from Thailand tonight on this story.  Headline is Victorian man could face death penalty in Thailand over death of girlfriend in jetski accident.

Scaremongering, I doubt he'll see the inside of a prison.

As I said earlier on both threads, the Phuket police / jet ski operation tie-up need to be paid.

People quoting Australian laws and regulation relating to jet ski use, although very interesting, are completely missing the point. The law and regulations  are not applied, enforced or pertinent to Thailand. The police here make up stuff as they go along and nobody has insurance or applies safeguards.

This is why the locking up of the boyfriend is clearly about money and nothing else.

As I said earlier on both threads, the Phuket police / jet ski operation tie-up need to be paid.

People quoting Australian laws and regulation relating to jet ski use, although very interesting, are completely missing the point. The law and regulations  are not applied, enforced or pertinent to Thailand. The police here make up stuff as they go along and nobody has insurance or applies safeguards.

This is why the locking up of the boyfriend is clearly about money and nothing else.

Nobody has insurance?
You're right, Australia is not relevant here, it was mentioned as being so strict and therefore better, which is clearly not the whole fact.

sent using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, stevenl said:

Nobody has insurance?
You're right, Australia is not relevant here, it was mentioned as being so strict and therefore better, which is clearly not the whole fact.

sent using Tapatalk

The jet ski operator was insured.... for both ski and user (50,000 bt medical)

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

I know, I was replying to somebody who claimed nobody had insurance.

Ah..... :sorry:.... I see that in re reading.... people will have to start reassessing  their opinions about Thai business operators ( although I would still be politely asking of them)

• 3 weeks later...
On 8 February 2017 at 7:02 AM, Thechook said:

Channel 7 Aust are reporting from Thailand tonight on this story.  Headline is Victorian man could face death penalty in Thailand over death of girlfriend in jetski accident.

Let's all hope it goes viral to show the world what goes on in the land of smiles before someone's palm is greased so the poor bloke can go home

unlike the Jetski operator who is no doubt still selling services on the beach ?

On 9 February 2017 at 5:50 AM, farcanell said:

The jet ski operator was insured.... for both ski and user (50,000 bt medical)

Met a old French bloke last night fell off his moped he was charged 220,000THB to patch up his arm & head 

what's 50,000 gonna buy you a band aid ! 

In the last 3 months anyone who seems to end up in AE doesn't make it out alive according to Phuket gazette stories 

I assume the French guy had a sky rocket full of cash ! 

2 hours ago, Itsnottheplaceitwas said:

Met a old French bloke last night fell off his moped he was charged 220,000THB to patch up his arm & head 

what's 50,000 gonna buy you a band aid ! 

In the last 3 months anyone who seems to end up in AE doesn't make it out alive according to Phuket gazette stories 

I assume the French guy had a sky rocket full of cash ! 

Poor frog must have done himself some real damage.... but that's not the point.

my response was to a post suggesting that the jet ski owner would be out trying to scam more money from the incident, whereas, he was not, as his machines are insured, including a little extra cover for the passengers

sure.... it might only be enough to cover some betadine and a bandaid, but at least had some insurance vs none.

4 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

When did that change as googling jet ski rentals Australia there seems to many that rent with no license needed.

Yes Don....... you definitely could rent jet skis two weeks ago, or whenever this thread was current.... different rules if you buy your own, if I recall.

30 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Poor frog must have done himself some real damage.... but that's not the point.

my response was to a post suggesting that the jet ski owner would be out trying to scam more money from the incident, whereas, he was not, as his machines are insured, including a little extra cover for the passengers

sure.... it might only be enough to cover some betadine and a bandaid, but at least had some insurance vs none.

Agreed but 50,000THB in Phuket of all places doesn't get you much in 2017 

maybe a pack of band aids then 

3 hours ago, Itsnottheplaceitwas said:

Let's all hope it goes viral to show the world what goes on in the land of smiles before someone's palm is greased so the poor bloke can go home

unlike the Jetski operator who is no doubt still selling services on the beach ?

Jet ski operator isn't at fault..... why shouldn't he be continuing his business?

58 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

NO not anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Nor in the UK 

& insurance is horrific to be able to rent 

personal Jetski insurance I just ran a quote on a 2012 machine worth £7000 was £546 

a car car of the same value is £158

somone thinks jet skis must be very dangerous to rent 

would hate to think of the cost if my post code was Essex / Southend / clacton ?

16 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

Mate says you can't take one down the ramp at Bondi Only Rescue Lifeguards allowed to use em,seems a bit harsh

There are many more places in Australia than Bondi. On the original thread about this quite a few examples were given of places in Australia where it is possible to rent a jetski without license.

20 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

I think even the Village Idiot knows that ,here it happened in an intensive Tourist Area same as Bondi .A Puddle in Moony Ponds or Open coastline is a different situation so renting shouldn't be difficult I suppose

So you're now telling us your earlier statement

On 2/6/2017 at 5:18 PM, Don Mega said:
Can one rent a jetski in Australia  without a licence ?

"NO not anymore "

is not correct.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

There are many more places in Australia than Bondi. On the original thread about this quite a few examples were given of places in Australia where it is possible to rent a jetski without license.

I suppose one could legally rent a jet ski in Australia without a license, but as soon as they ride the jet ski in the water, they become illegal, as they are unlicensed. 

On 2/8/2017 at 1:26 PM, farcanell said:

IMG_3425.PNG

Here it is again, for those who can't be bothered reading the entire thread.

if hired from an on site company, no license is required to operate a jet ski.

this is West Australian law.... this law, as far as I can tell, is mirrored in most, if not all, states

if you bring the get ski to the water, on a trailer (hired elsewhere, or privately owned), you need a license.

Archived