Aussie boyfriend to face charges over deadly Phuket jet-ski crash

snoop1130

This announcement from the Phuket police is all about shifting the narrative and more importantly the blame and making sure some money changes hands before the boyfriend is allowed to go home. I noted on the other thread he would have to pay.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is or was a law in Thailand that all powered craft had to have a Thai pilot aboard.......several years ago a young boy was killed at Patong Beach by a jetski and there was talk then that a Thai pilot would be required on all jetskis......like many things it all gets forgotten about....anyone have further info....So sad for this couple for this to happen when they are having the time of their lives......we should not knock and try to apportion blame until all the facts are known....RIP in peace little lady and thoughts for all involved in this tragic event

1 hour ago, samsensam said:

if he couldn't see where he was going why was he driving recklessly and at high speed?

while it was a tragic incident/accident it appears there was contributory negligence which may lead to a prosecution, as it would in many other countries.

it does not mean he was blinded for he long time so he could have reacted.

It could have been just a short moment - a blink of an eye when both of them were at the wrong place and time (just altering course e.g.)  - the wrong angle between sun, moving water surface and his eye - following the optical laws of reflexion

14 minutes ago, Phuket Stan said:

There is or was a law in Thailand that all powered craft had to have a Thai pilot aboard.......several years ago a young boy was killed at Patong Beach by a jetski and there was talk then that a Thai pilot would be required on all jetskis......like many things it all gets forgotten about....anyone have further info....So sad for this couple for this to happen when they are having the time of their lives......we should not knock and try to apportion blame until all the facts are known....RIP in peace little lady and thoughts for all involved in this tragic event

You think it would be safer if the jetskis were driven by Thais? And the farang on the pillion? Do jetskis have pillions? Would it still be fun?

It makes me rather angry seeing the ****ing rubberneckers leering at the poor dying girl.

I'm just surprised no-one is taking pictures for Facebook. Mind you, they probably were.

There is no dignity in death in Thailand, is there?

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

There's absolutely nothing in the article that gives any detail of the guy acting recklessly or in a way to endanger others.

He may have been, but if he was, there's certainly no facts presented to back that up.

Except for the small fact that the guy killed his wife! The body in the morgue would seem to back that up...

50 minutes ago, fester the benevolent said:

Except for the small fact that the guy killed his wife! The body in the morgue would seem to back that up...

Or... maybe she hit him...

I'm not saying she did... Just saying, from the account in the news article, there's no facts presented that even begin to indicate just how the accident occurred or who may have been at fault.  Just that one person died and the other didn't.

If he really was blinded by the sun why didnt he slow down the jet ski ? Very reckless of him and now he lost is girlfriend. His life will be ruined forever.  No need to go to prison , he's already been sentenced for life. 

3 hours ago, berybert said:

Everyone seems to be assuming this is the boyfriends fault. No chance she might have driven into him ?

Lets hang him.

Better yet, why not charge him so you can keep him in country while the investigation continues.  Then he can present his side of the story and other witnesses can tell what they saw, and any forensic evidence like blood alcohol or drugs can make its way through the labs.

Or you can let the guy get on an airplane and completely out of reach of any potential justice.

Oh! When oh when will these farangs and other foreigners like the Indians , Chinese etc learn to stay away from jet skis. Despite so many negative publicitity, they still do it. Throw the keys away for this guy and let him rot in the thai jail. He deserves it especially for causing the death of his girlfriend who was so young.

3 hours ago, berybert said:

Everyone seems to be assuming this is the boyfriends fault. No chance she might have driven into him ?

Lets hang him.

Not likely her fault, as he said

Thomas Keating, 22, told police that strong sunlight reflecting from the sea made it impossible for him to see the jet-ski being ridden by his girlfriend, Emily Jayne Collie, who he was holidaying with on the island.

He was travelling at high speed and if he could not see 100% he should have maintained separation distance and slowed down...sadly he didn't and the rest is history.

I am sure jet ski operators give good instruction to novice jet skiers regarding safety and dangers in operation. "Here, move this and go".

BTW have there been charges for reckless negligence filed regarding 10 yr old who blew himself away with unsecured home made shotgun yet? http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/10-year-old-boy-accidentally-shot-dead-handgun/

13 hours ago, samsensam said:

if he couldn't see where he was going why was he driving recklessly and at high speed?

while it was a tragic incident/accident it appears there was contributory negligence which may lead to a prosecution, as it would in many other countries.

As I have spent many hours at sea in small craft I can tell you that sunlight reflection on the sea is not a static thingy, one second you can see the next you cannot, so l can understand his predicament..

How the guy can get nicked is beyond me as these rides are used by unlicensed or novice folk who ain't got a clue what they are doing and not monitored. They are rented out with the full knowledge of the law to untrained folk.

14 hours ago, happyas said:

Sorry, but i don't see anything dangerous about these machines at all per se.

As the old saying goes; its the nut behind the wheel that creates the danger.

By all accounts the guy was 100% responsible for this incident, that sadly took the life of his girlfriend and as in any situation where a life is taken, someone needs  to be made accountable for their actions.

If the jetski had  malfunctioned it would not be the guys fault, and then , yes you could lay blame else where, but there is no evidence of any such thing.

You and probably the majority of people commenting [including myself absolutely loathe the jetski operations and operators] but the fact is that a pair of adults made their own call to go and play on them, with the devestating end result.

No blame at all to the "dangerous" machine or the "scamming" owners/operators.

Just to keep it in perspective and the way i see it.

and you are 100% wrong, they are extremely powerful and extremely dangerous and should not be rented out to people that have not had proper training, it is exactly the same as renting a big bike to someone who suddenly thinks they have turned into Valentino Rossi overnight and has never put their leg over anything bigger than a bicycle (or perhaps even a scooter for a few days) - they will be given the keys to a superbike and off they go.

I would attribute reckless driving to someone that has experience and training and causes an accident through reckless behavior were they would/should  have been fully aware of the dangers - in that instance "yes" it could be argued they were irresponsible and fully to blame

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_watercraft-related_accidents

Always blame the farang is the problem. What about speed restrictors, safety gear up to scratch, alcohol testing before riding, mechanical checks. Certain hours closed when the suns not blinding.... I dont know these people but would bet my money on the guy not being soley responsible. Shame Thailand! 

I think thailand should be off limits to all tourists untill they can prove they are competent at giving a @#$&.

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

charges of reckless driving causing death.

Perhaps you can reference or cite such laws for the betterment of us all in the spirit of future compliance.

Thank you in advance.

Meanwhile as foreigner tourists are unlikely to be familiar with such alleged laws, I'd expect water ski rental contracts would (in English) specify such laws so there's no misunderstanding. So do these contracts in Thailand provide such disclosures? If not then the vendors should also share blame as a minimum for any injury or death due to operator error.

1 minute ago, yogavnture said:

jet skis should be banned for any tourist. period!  only legal to drive one if you are registered owner.  too dangerous and a menace to swimmers. 

I agree, same as the big bikes to folk who know nothing about them and end up stuck in a lamp post....Crazy stuff...

Just now, dageurreotype said:

He couldn't see because the light reflected from the sea was too bright. He couldn't see because of the fog. What's the difference? IF you can't see, slow the f down.

You've never been to sea in/on a small sea craft then...:coffee1:

Archived