Help with this "bush/tree"

Hi all,

I need to transplant these. My wife bought them a few years back at the local garden centre. I don't even know what they are.

Now they are overlapped by other shrubs and are not doing too good.

Does anyone know what they so I can google and find a suitable place for them?

20170203_085122.jpg

20170203_085127.jpg

It looks like a Variegated Schefflera, (pretty sure!)

Looks a little stressed for sure... You need a spade to dig it out... cut a decent root ball, and have your new hole ready to transplant it....  and perhaps trim off about a 1/3 of the foliage.. Sprinkle with water several times a day if dry season....  and depending on season you do it, perhaps cover it with some shade cloth for a week or two... (if sunny,) or leave it until wetter and cooler...

Add some decent organic soil to the planting hole too!

Too much grass around base too, keep grass and weeds free... :whistling:

They prefer a partial shade environment, not in full sun.

Thanks for this, samuiimmy. After spending 1/2 day googling on Sunday, I thought it might have been a Variegated Weigela.

Stressed is right. My plans, this weekend, are to dig them out and replant in  massive pots with some good organic mix.

Much easier to move to a suitable place.

Thanks for the tip about pruning back some of the foliage.

I'll let you know how it goes.

19 minutes ago, newatthis said:

Thanks for this, samuiimmy. After spending 1/2 day googling on Sunday, I thought it might have been a Variegated Weigela.

Stressed is right. My plans, this weekend, are to dig them out and replant in  massive pots with some good organic mix.

If it is Weigelia it should have pink flowers, at some point in the year! .. the foliage would be softer and also deciduous...  Schefflera foliage would be a little waxy and slightly heavier..to the touch... Weigelia might grow in the less tropical areas but i don't think in the more tropical areas unless at higher elevations!

After a few weeks of transplanting use some 15 15 15 fertilizer every two months or so, it should really perk up and look "normal" Or get some Osmocote slow release fertilizer, if available in your area... feeds for about 3 months.

On 15/02/2017 at 7:31 AM, newatthis said:

I isn't a Wegelia.

If this was in Europe I would say that it has been planted too deep, a common mistake in Thailand as many plants won't support this. Water, remove after a few hours, replant slightly higher than the surrounding soil without leaving roots exposed.

1 minute ago, cooked said:

I isn't a Wegelia.

If this was in Europe I would say that it has been planted too deep, a common mistake in Thailand as many plants won't support this. Water, remove after a few hours, replant slightly higher than the surrounding soil without leaving roots exposed.

Thanks cooked.

Archived