Six Phuket jet-ski operators found operating without insurance, fined

webfact

Six Phuket jet-ski operators found operating without insurance, fined

Yutthawat Lekmak

1486443554_1-org.jpg

Officers check jet-ski rental operators at Patong Beach yesterday (Feb 6). Photo: Supplied

PHUKET: -- It was discovered yesterday that six jet-ski operators working from Kata Beach on the island’s west coast were found to be renting out their watercraft without the required insurance.

The operators were fined, however, it was not disclosed how much.

The discovery was made yesterday (Feb 6) when officials from the Royal Thai Navy Third Area Command, Marine Police and Kata Police carried out checks on jet-ski operators at Kata Beach following the death of an Australian tourist who died when the jet-ski she had rented collided with that of her boyfriends on Sunday (Feb 5).

Thomas Keating, 22, and his girlfriend, Emily Jayne Collie, 20, were riding jet-skis near Kata Beach at 4:45pm on Sunday when they collided in the water at high speed leaving Ms Collie with severe injuries to her neck and shoulders. 

Mr Keating said strong sunlight reflected off the sea and made it impossible to see the jet-ski of Ms Collie, leading to the crash. 

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/six-phuket-jet-ski-operators-found-operating-without-insurance-fined-60940.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-02-07

It's utterly ridicules and sad that it takes a death of a person to get those people

and to check on those jet ski operators,

By law, and I'm sure no one knew it, a jet ski rider should have a ' captain permit '

to operate the jet ski, but who give a toss for the law? not those operators

for sure....

Just remember that most things operate here by paying tea money to corrupt officials who then allow these businesses to keep operating even if not legal and no insurance

People who pay tea money are as corrupt as the people who ask for it or except it, Unfortunately they will not get together and refuse to pay it because some people will not join them and their businesses will be victimized

If the government sacked or charged all the corrupt officials there would be no one left to run the government and country

The PM is making a effort to stop corrupt but it takes time and money to increase their salaries and the only way to do this is with a increase in taxes or fees

There is still plenty of corruption in the so called developed countries but its not done so openly but under the counter as they say, its only in recent history that they have really started to clamp down on official corruption in these countries and this probably includes your own home country 

One must ask themselves. Why is it always the army/navy that catches these fking offenders, Logically because the police sit on their fat arse and take bribes ONLY. I like this new Prime Minister but I hope he kicks some top cockroache ass ( being police) may save the army time in doing what the police should be doing in the first place!

4 hours ago, webfact said:

on jet-ski operators at Kata Beach following the death of an Australian tourist who died when the jet-ski she had rented collided with that of her boyfriends on Sunday

Always takes a trigger point to get the boys in brown to spring into action. 

3 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Pay some small fine, and continue as usual.  When the proper course of action would be heavy fine, and confiscation of all jet skis till fine is paid and PROOF of insurance is provided. But TIT, so we know that won't happen.

So better to do nothing than something small? Interesting concept. Just because we have a concept of what proper action would be doesn't mean its going to happen here. its a completely different mentality.

28 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Looks like soldiers in the photo – not sure "charity fund" works with them...

It clearly states in the article that  officials from the Royal Thai Navy Third Area Command, who have responsibility for Phuket, were involved.

Common sense would dictate that these operators should be fined AND shut down until they can produce a valid insurance policy.

The whole point of requiring insurance was that in the event that the person renting the jetski has an accident, they've got some measure of financial protection. Instead, these vermin are left to continue renting uninsured jetskis, assigning all of the risk to those that rent them. All the benefit goes to the jetski mafia, and all the risk to the tourists.

... And why wouldn't the amount of the fine be a matter of public record? Oh, right, nevermind.

1 hour ago, madmax2 said:

Just remember that most things operate here by paying tea money to corrupt officials who then allow these businesses to keep operating even if not legal and no insurance

People who pay tea money are as corrupt as the people who ask for it or except it, Unfortunately they will not get together and refuse to pay it because some people will not join them and their businesses will be victimized

If the government sacked or charged all the corrupt officials there would be no one left to run the government and country

The PM is making a effort to stop corrupt but it takes time and money to increase their salaries and the only way to do this is with a increase in taxes or fees

There is still plenty of corruption in the so called developed countries but its not done so openly but under the counter as they say, its only in recent history that they have really started to clamp down on official corruption in these countries and this probably includes your own home country 

Iconcur. I always find it amusing people who go on about corruption but see nothing wrong with bunging money to immigration for something they don't need to pay for, a traffic ticket without a receipt, or 'getting off' a drink driving charge with a bung of 20k.

A bit of an Oxymoron!

5 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Iconcur. I always find it amusing people who go on about corruption but see nothing wrong with bunging money to immigration for something they don't need to pay for, a traffic ticket without a receipt, or 'getting off' a drink driving charge with a bung of 20k.

A bit of an Oxymoron!

I can understand what your point is about Falang accepting the system when convenient. BUT  its because all Falanfs know the system is so broken (police) in Thailand that we can get away with it , So clearly the solution is fking clean out the corrupt cops. Best -place to start is from the TOP then work down (cut od the snakes head) Then Falangs will be more responsible and pay fines that we deserve like they are doing back home ie in my case Australia. PS this will also cut down on Thailands annual  Falang  road and jetski dearh rates plus Thai death road rates. In short send corrupt cops to prison not Innactive duties.

20 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

So better to do nothing than something small? Interesting concept. Just because we have a concept of what proper action would be doesn't mean its going to happen here. its a completely different mentality.

You just don't kill the golden goose that lays the brown envelopes. Just give him a slight tuneup.

21 minutes ago, wavemanwww said:

I can understand what your point is about Falang accepting the system when convenient. BUT  its because all Falanfs know the system is so broken (police) in Thailand that we can get away with it , So clearly the solution is fking clean out the corrupt cops. Best -place to start is from the TOP then work down (cut od the snakes head) Then Falangs will be more responsible and pay fines that we deserve like they are doing back home ie in my case Australia. PS this will also cut down on Thailands annual  Falang  road and jetski dearh rates plus Thai death road rates. In short send corrupt cops to prison not Innactive duties.

Being a farang or not has nothing to do with this.

7 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Being a farang or not has nothing to do with this.

You mean Thais rent jetskis And Navy is worried ONLY about them? And police take bribes from Jetski operators without licences from operators because Falang and Thai spend the bulk of the money. Jeeze Wake up

6 minutes ago, wavemanwww said:

You mean Thais rent jetskis And Navy is worried ONLY about them? And police take bribes from Jetski operators without licences from operators because Falang and Thai spend the bulk of the money. Jeeze Wake up

You've lost the plot.

Enjoy your evening.

If they had insurance then there would be no need to try and scam the customer  for damage they did not incurred . You scratch my ski 24,000 baht,  but you have insurance?  We have same same but different it called assurance, mean you no pay us we kick the shit out of you. Kow jai mai.

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

You've lost the plot.

Enjoy your evening.

No. I'm insane but my plot is the same :-) because I read the bullshit that is allowed in Thailand even though I love the place. Maybe, just maybe ,you have lost the plot for accepting it!

Enjoy your evening my friend.

No. I'm insane but my plot is the same :-) because I read the bullshit that is allowed in Thailand even though I love the place. Maybe, just maybe ,you have lost the plot for accepting it!

Enjoy your evening my friend.

A thread about jetskis insurance, you give your opinion on corruption and farang, when questioned about the connection you answer with a very confusing post about licensing.

Makes no sense to me, but hey.

sent using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, wavemanwww said:

Pretty sure that not all tourists know the depth of corruption in Thailand.

you might.... I may, but I'm not really sure, although I hear a cop will end someone for 50k baht.

but tourists.... young tourists at that.... i very much doubt that they know, and that's probably the target demographic of jet ski operators.

Wether the operators had insurance or not is largely irrelevant.... it won't bring back the dead girl. 

Nor will aquiring insurance, in itself, prevent further accidents.

setting rules, enforcing rules and fining operators who fail or refuse to comply ( along the line of a full years income) might make a difference.

It takes the death of someone to initiate some action.

And then, by the sound of it, the action is not sufficient for these scofflaws.

Confiscation or the impounding of jet-skis until proof of sufficient insurance, along with a fine for operating without insurance should be the minimum. If you are caught driving a vehicle without insurance in other countries, do you think the police will let you drive  home?

I just have this image they carried on renting after the militia moved on.

Archived