Six Phuket jet-ski operators found operating without insurance, fined

webfact

Iconcur. I always find it amusing people who go on about corruption but see nothing wrong with bunging money to immigration for something they don't need to pay for, a traffic ticket without a receipt, or 'getting off' a drink driving charge with a bung of 20k.

A bit of an Oxymoron!

No.anectodal fantasises about falangs benefitting from "corruption " not much of a defense for widespread institutional corruption

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

20 hours ago, madmax2 said:

If the government sacked or charged all the corrupt officials there would be no one left to run the government and country

Quite right, because those in power who have hundreds of millions of baht worth of "undisclosed wealth" would have to go............ it starts at the top and is a way of life and it has become so blatant that it is now the norm; almost genetic now I would think!

There are many foreigners living in Thailand on temporary visas, because we've made a decision that, for various reasons, it's a great place for us to live, and  because it's almost impossible to get permanent status. Most of us accept our second class status in the eyes of many locals, and being grouped together under the (for many) offensive title of farang.

Unless we were a little naïve, we came here knowing Thailand to be a very corrupt country. Admittedly, I didn't know the full extent of this corruption, how far up the line it extended and that most Thais accept it as a normal part of their lives.

As a former National Unionist who often had to try to change a system geared to screw the lower level workers, the extent of corruption here still sometimes astounds me.

However, as a retiree in the country temporarily, and a realist, I'm only too aware that no amount of railing against the system by someone like me will make the slightest bit of difference to any Thai in power.  The system can only be changed by the Thai people wanting it to change.

So I have two choices:

I can stand up in indignation, refuse to pay for an Immigration service that should be free (boast about it on TVF!), insist on tickets and receipts at the Police station when I transgress on the roads (because that's how it works in the old country), generally refuse to be a part of the local back hand payments system and find myself inconvenienced and out of favour with authority,

or,  I can accept the place as it is and work within it to make my life easier. 

I've made my decision. 

20 hours ago, wavemanwww said:

One must ask themselves. Why is it always the army/navy that catches these fking offenders, Logically because the police sit on their fat arse and take bribes ONLY. I like this new Prime Minister but I hope he kicks some top cockroache ass ( being police) may save the army time in doing what the police should be doing in the first place!

You are misunderstanding the role of the police in Thailand. They run and collect the profits from all strands of organised crime within the government fold so that the profits remaining outside are minimal.

You are appear to be under the impression the Thai police are there to enforce the law and suppress crime. That is not the case, they manage crime.

Archived