Air purifier for burning season?

markcm19

19 hours ago, sfokevin said:

I have two filters units in my main lounge set on medium speed st different ends of the room that work fine and are quieter... And most of March will be spend in Hua Hin... ????

Please advise when, in March, I can move in. Will water cats, etc.

thanks, ~o:37;

On 2/8/2017 at 11:51 AM, 4MyEgo said:

About a month ago I purchased the IQAir with the Hypa-Hepa filter which is one of the 3 filters, no one else has the Hypa-hepa filter.

It has made a major improvement in our lives, I only turn it on about a half hour before we go to bed, our bedroom is 48 square metres in size, but this can take up to 85 square metres and can be moved around with ease as its on castors, and has great fan volume and is not noisy on 3 (half way).

I did extensive research on the IQAir, it stands out, nothing comes near it, and it did take some convincing for the outlay, but if its going to make your life easier, its worth more, and I cannot breath with smoke in the air.

I paid 61,000 baht for it delivered, DO NOT buy it off the net as the warranty won't be covered, you have to buy it from one of their retailers/suppliers, there is nothing that comes near this product, they Hypa-Hepa filter is what will stop the smoke in its track.

I do use the M3 N95 mask when I go out at times and can still smell a faint smoke smell, but it is better than any other mask on the market.

What made it easy for me to buy the IAQir was to deduct the cost of the filters which comes with the product, that brought it right back, the filters are replaceable in stages, i.e. 18 months, 24 months and 3 years or so, less if you use it less I am told, but I will guarantee you once you have tried this product and smell the air that you have not breathed yet, i.e. when we open our door to go into the main part of the house, we can smell the difference in the air, or when we go into the bedroom, we can smell the difference in the air, sinuses and lungs have never been better, you will be convinced, your health deserves it.

Big outlay, but your lungs are worth it, sinuses are worth it, and if you are like me, who gets aggro when there is smoke, you won't anymore, if you want the details of where I got mine, PM me and I will forward them to you.

Comes with 3 year warranty.

My story as well.  IQAir 250.  There is one problem with having an IQAir air purifier and that is you'll never go back to one of the el cheapo's, ever.

5 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

My story as well.  IQAir 250.  There is one problem with having an IQAir air purifier and that is you'll never go back to one of the el cheapo's, ever.

Nonsense.  Have an inexpensive Hatari AP-12 running at slow speed in 26sm bedroom and it has no problem keeping air in the green AQI zone (under 10 micron PM2.5) during worst Bangkok red days.  But then I find my phone provides a better time standard than DPM watch and for that reason have no need for such.  Peacock show is not my forte.

Image result for peacock

As long as a HEPA air purifier is capable of bringing down the PM2.5 levels in a room to the desired levels, I'm not sure what the issue of expensive vs inexpensive has to do with it.

There are lots of HEPA filter air purifiers available in Thailand by established brands that will do the job, provided they're sized to the room/area that needs to be filtered, and the unit's filters are changed/replaced as needed.

I have no idea what's necessarily gained by purchasing the high end of the market priced units.  Though it certainly is true that units capable of cleaning larger areas are always going to be more expensive than units for smaller rooms.

On 2/8/2017 at 11:29 AM, Artben said:

the AC on 24 hours a day and the AC fan set to constant run.  If you're not willing to do that, save your money. 

Do you know how unhealthy 24/7 Aircon is ?

Warm, moist air an ideal breeding ground.

Or do you clean and sanitize weekly ?

24 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

I recently had the house insulated, we haven't had the need for A/C's, we don't like them, the difference in temperature is 10 degrees, you might find that high, but I have thermal reflective insulation under the tiles and now the 3.5 insulation batts on the ceiling, a couple of whirlybirds at the end of the house and the two by saloon door type vents at the front as I call them and the wind tunnel effect is awesome, if those whirly birds could take off they would.

Having a temperature gauge inside the house and one outside the house shows the difference in temperatures, as mention 10 degrees, it's as if the house has aircons on, and everytime someone comes over, the first thing they say is, oh aircon nice...lol

It's all about affordability and comfort and we are comfortable and can afford the 120,000 baht outlay, for the 10 degree difference, it's money well spent. Loads of research on it, just like the IQAir 250, another 61,000 baht investment I made that paid itself off, after all, can't take it with you, might as well enjoy it ????

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/22/2019 at 7:06 PM, gamesgplayemail said:

hello, can you confirm that xiaomi pro is the best pair purifier for 5000 thb ? or which one should i buy ? Thank you.

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=xiaomi+purifier+pro

https://shopee.co.th/search?keyword=xiaomi purifier pro

The Xaiomi 2, 2s, 3h & Pro all use the exact same filter inside... The Pro model has a larger fan so it is rated for a larger room...

In my main lounge I went with two 2s’s rather than one Pro... They are at opposite end of the room and are set at about 40-60% speed... You will not run any air purifier at 100% speed for long as they sound like a jet engine at that speed

The Xiaomi 3 has CADR 400 m3/hr (some improvements in the fan/ducts) and that's around 30% more than the ver 2.   Also, all the fan speeds are selectable on the unit itself without having to do it from the app (the ver 2 can't).   It's a pretty good unit.

For addtional info, below shows the particle size distribution for PM1 for northern thailand forest wildfilre biomass haze. One diagram has its peak centred at 0.45 microns and another 1.5 microns.

The Xiaomi filters can handle 100%, absolutely no issue.  You do not have to go for IQAir, which can handle UFPs/Ultrafine particles, which might present itself in say for eg China's photochemical smog.

11869_2017_497_Fig7_HTML.gif

32 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

The Xaiomi 2, 2s, 3h & Pro all use the exact same filter inside... The Pro model has a larger fan so it is rated for a larger room...

In my main lounge I went with two 2s’s rather than one Pro... They are at opposite end of the room and are set at about 40-60% speed... You will not run any air purifier at 100% speed for long as they sound like a jet engine at that speed

Good choice.  Yeah, all these Xiaomi APs can only be run at max fan speed setting only for around 30 mins before you go bonkers.  Useful though for rapidly bringing down the levels fast, and with the app connection you can just switch it on in MAX 30 mins before you arrive home while on the way back from work.

One thing that you'd have to remember is also the filter replacement cost.

In N China, it used to be such that their pollution levels were so high that they have to change out the HEPAs every 45 to 60 days else the airflow gets severely impacted.  In very bad cases, every 20-30 days as the filters start to smell bad as well.  AQI levels of well over 500 for several days, peaking over AQI 1000 (1hr) has been recorded as well.  Coupled with their relatively low incomes for those not working in big cities like Beijing, higher priced HEPA replacements costing several hundreds of USD are totally out of the question.

Hence that is why they are using H12s or even generic H11s grade for those tight on cash (everyone has a right to access clean air).  Each generic H11 i can purchase for as little usd 4 (air shipping to my part of the world here in Singapore does not cost much, less than usd1 for each filter).  And checking with laser particle counters, they do work, at least for biomass haze from forest or peat wildfires in South East Asia.

ps. Canberra Australia just hit a 1hr index figure of 3589 this morning. 

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6562383/air-quality-in-parts-of-canberra-15-times-above-hazardous-level/

28 minutes ago, gamesgplayemail said:

hello, what is the best price for Xiaomi filters please ?

Around 400+ thereabouts?  

The blue, green or purple ones are all fine for biomass smoke haze in N Thailand, just get the cheapest.

1pc of this ought to be able to last for 1 smoke season, even if it were 2019's severity.  But standby the second one, just in case it gets horrendously bad + extended period. These things do not have an expiry date (N95s have an expiry date due to the rubber band and foam disintegration, but some respirators of certain built actually could be used indefinitely as they do not easily break down......of coz just for smoke haze, do not use it in a SARS/bird flu/Pneumonia outbreak or what)

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/for-xiaomi-air-purifier-2-2s-pro-filter-spare-parts-sterilization-bacteria-purification-purification-pm25-formaldehyde-i571996735-s1050700541.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.27.15775200lcrPMX&search=1

On 1/23/2019 at 3:31 PM, canthai55 said:

You lost me there. My place is cool and dry when the air runs. Who gets warm moist air from an air con? It’s when we don’t run it when we notice mold starting to grow in the bathroom around certain areas. 

Archived