Sleep apnea and insurance

markcm19

I've been uninsured for a while here. I am not rich and a $250/mo insurance bill for the solid providers i have seen are not very affordable for me. I would like to find some high deductible catch-all-disaster program that lasts for life without breaking the bank, even if i move abroad. I see BUPA HAS very mixed reciews but seems to be te most affordable.

I also have terrible teeth and think it may be profitable to have a dental plan but afraid to get in over my head. Im only 33 but health issues are a concern for me and i would have more peace of mind with some coverage.

Dental options will push premiums well past your comfort level

A number of insurers offer deductible and copay options

Be forewarned that policies issued out of Thailand/covered by Thai insurance regulations can and will raise premiums based on your state of health. Not usually the case with policies issued by EU countries and subject to EU insurance regs, which are tighter. As you mention wanting a policy that lasts for life, this is important - BUPA, MSH etc (Thai policies) will guarantee lifetime coverage but can price you out just when you need them most.

Of course all policies will raise premiums  based on age and medical inflation, that you cannot escape, but there are good international expat policies to be had which will not adjust premiums based on claims or state of health.

Another point to be wary of is that some insurers exclude chronic diseases from coverage, which likewise makes their policies of limited value if you expect to grow old here.

At 33 you certainly do not need to pay anything near $250/month and indeed it is hard to see where you would get a quote that high unless you are looking at policies with no deductible and including extras like outpatient cover and dental.

Look only for inpatient cover, no add ons.

Personally I recently switched from BUPA to Cigna Global.  Much higher level of cover and about the same premium but with a deductible.

Archived