Frenchman, Russians arrested in Phuket brawl

snoop1130

Frenchman, Russians arrested in Phuket brawl

Kritsada Mueanhawong

x.jpeg

Mr Pecherstorfer was charged with illegal possession of a firearm and carrying a firearm in public without permission. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET:-- Two Russian tourists and a French expat were arrested after they were seen armed and fighting in Patong this afternoon. 

The incident happened near a bike rental shop run by the Frenchman, named by police as Gerard Pecherstorfer, 63, and his wife Suvan Paiwansao, on Sirirat Road. 

Ms Suvan told police that the argument was about a bike rental agreement between them and the tourists.

Full Story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Frenchman-Russians-arrested-Phuket-brawl/66239?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2017-2-7

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Frenchman are in deep shit, shooting a gun twice in the air, not a very smart move.

A good Thai friend of mine are doing similar rental businesses here in Pattaya and he don't use/have a gun.

He will likely be booted out after serving time, unless he got cash, lots of cash.

The Frenchman are in deep shit, shooting a gun twice in the air, not a very smart move.

A good Thai friend of mine are doing similar rental businesses here in Pattaya and he don't use/have a gun.

He will likely be booted out after serving time, unless he got cash, lots of cash.

Didn't a couple of tattoo guys accidentally shoot a passerby? If I recall correctly nothing much happened to them in the end.

sent using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, manarak said:

hmmm... the passport of one of the Russians had expired... how was he allowed in? oversight by the immigration officer?

No evidence that document was used to travel, in fact very unlikely.

He used it as collateral to rent a bike and ran away when the renter discovered it was an old document.

(I don't believe bike renters have the right to hold customers passports)

16 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

He used it as collateral to rent a bike and ran away when the renter discovered it was an old document.

correct, they aren't allowed to hold passports

Shots fired as Phuket former French Foreign Legion servicemen pulls gun on Russian tourist

Eakkapop Thongtub

1486476429_1-org.jpg

Phuket expat Gerard Pecherstorfer, formerly of the French Foreign Legion, is taken into custody by Patong Police. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- A 62-year-old French expat in Patong has been charged for pulling a gun out and firing it in the middle of a fight with a Russian tourist today (Feb 7) after the Russian had left an expired passport as collateral for a rented motorbike.

Frenchman Gerard Pecherstorfer, who has lived in Phuket for 14 years, was taken into custody by Patong Traffic Police on 50 Pi Rd (Hasip Pi Rd) around noon after police were informed of shots fired in the neighbourhood.

Mr Pecherstorfer, who according to his Facebook profile was a member of French Foreign Legion from 1986 to 2002, had pulled out a 9mm handgun amid a fight with Russian tourist Sergery Antonov, Patong Police Chief Col Chaiwat Uikum told The Phuket News.

The incident tracks back to on Jan 19, when Mr Antonov, from Moscow, and a friend rented a motorbike from Mr Pecherstorfer’s wife, Col Chaiwat said.

“They rented a Honda PCX for one day and left Mr Antonov’s passport as collateral,” he explained.

The men did not return the motorbike until Jan 26, but then paid the rental fee and asked to continue to rent the bike, Col Chaiwat explained.

“When the men returned today (Feb 7) to continue renting the bike, Mr Pecherstorfer’s wife said they couldn’t as by now she had realised that that passport given as collateral had expired,” he said.

The wife said they had to give her a valid passport, and Mr Antonov, who celebrated his 40th birthday yesterday (Feb 6), said he would go back to his hotel to fetch his current one.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/shots-fired-as-phuket-former-french-foreign-legion-servicemen-pulls-gun-on-russian-tourist-60945.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-02-08

10 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Imagine that!

7 hours ago, Old Croc said:

7 hours ago, manarak said:

correct, they aren't allowed to hold passports

Correct, nobody is allowed to hold your passport, nobody.  You do not own your passport, it remains the property of the government that issued the passport.  I was told by my embassy a few years ago that it was illegal under international law for someone to hold on to it. 

12 minutes ago, Phuketboy said:

Correct, nobody is allowed to hold your passport, nobody.  You do not own your passport, it remains the property of the government that issued the passport.  I was told by my embassy a few years ago that it was illegal under international law for someone to hold on to it. 

Yes but what about reality ? No passport, no bike rental, take it or leave it.

Nobody is allowed to hold your passport, EXCEPTIONS: YOUR government embassy / authorized official of said embassy, ... or ANY Immigration officer AT YOU PORT OF ENTRY for investigation, ... or you are placed UNDER ARREST by police  - held for safe keeping and positive identification,  investigation and in theory to notify your countries embassy, YOUR PASSPORT is NOT your property, it is the property of the GOVERNMENT that issued the passport

4 minutes ago, edwardflory said:

Nobody is allowed to hold your passport, EXCEPTIONS: YOUR government embassy / authorized official of said embassy, ... or ANY Immigration officer AT YOU PORT OF ENTRY for investigation, ... or you are placed UNDER ARREST by police  - held for safe keeping and positive identification,  investigation and in theory to notify your countries embassy, YOUR PASSPORT is NOT your property, it is the property of the GOVERNMENT that issued the passport

It a handy thing to hold in future negotiations

The former Democrat politician that shot a dog dead outside a 7/11 in Bangkok used the defence that he was carrying a loaded gun in his car without a carry permit because he was on the way to withdraw B200,000 from a bank or ATM. The court accepted this dubious excuse and acquitted him of carrying a loaded gun in a public place without a good reason. This defence has been accepted by courts many times but amount of cash carried has to be specifically B200k or more. However, carrying someone else's registered gun is unlikely to be accepted, unless that person is with you and unable to use the gun themselves for whatever reason. Of course discharging the gun in public without a good reason is a seperate offence from carrying it.

All in all, he could get over 10 years for this because carrying the gun, the ammunition and discharging it are all seperate offences and he could also be charged with attempted murder. He is lucky the shots he fired didn't come down and hit anyone. Personally, I hope he does jail time and then gets deported and blacklisted for life. Let the French police deal with their own rubbish. His wife should also go to prison for giving her registered gun to someone else who used it to commit an offence. I am all for responsible gun ownership but those who abuse the privilege should be made to pay the price.

1 hour ago, Phuketboy said:

except... there is no such thing as "international law"

Archived