Frenchman, Russians arrested in Phuket brawl

snoop1130

2 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

<deleted>, I am not an English native speaker so I am very sorry, NOT.

Good on you....... it should have been pretty obvious from your post and avatar name, and that you tried to post in a foreign language (to you) deserves to be praised not ridiculed.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Yes but what about reality ? No passport, no bike rental, take it or leave it.

No, you can normally leave a copy of your passport (providing you show them the original) or leave another form of photo ID.  Had to hire on various occasions (while visiting other cities, car or bike in shop etc). When asked for passport, I always showed them my Thai drivers licence and they used that.  When friends come to visit, they always leave their drivers licence from their country.  Don't need to leave passport at all.   

6 hours ago, lvr181 said:

Do you think Thais (Govt. or civilian) understand or care?  :whistling:

The police certainly did when they attempted to hold mine a few years ago and didn't want to give it back playing games.  As soon as I told them it belonged to the Australian Government and that if they didn't give it back I would have them involved and that I could simply apply for a new one as this one would be considered stolen, they gave it back immediately.  I think they cared. :-p

I wonder if the Frenchman had a work permit to work in a motorcycle rental shop. It sounds like a job that could easily be done  by a Thai, particularly in the idiotic fashion he was conducting himself. Perhaps they will be able to add on work permit and visa offences.

12 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

'Mr Pecherstorfer, who according to his Facebook profile was a member of French Foreign Legion from 1986 to 2002, '

So he has a personality disorder.

Seems unlikely. Joined the Legion when he was 32? That's old to go for a soldier. The Legion now are what we Americans call Engineers, I think Europeans mostly call them Sappers. It's heavy work, and they have to maintain infantry skills as well. Leaving when he was 48. That's old for an enlisted man, and his name doesn't sound French, so it's unlikely he was an officer. On the other hand if he got his French citizenship for his service in the Legion he must have served without getting into trouble. I see you can retire with a pension after 15 years, so that's not really surprising. Interesting. First Legion veteran I've ever encountered (well, read about). Reason I think a personality disorder is unlikely is that he was able to survive in a military for 16 years. May have developed one since he retired. Wonder what his original nationality was and why he joined.

6 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Probably. Firing guns in the air when you are an expat in a country known for not being too forgiving towards expats does not show a good balance of mind. Unless you have very large sums of disposable income you're willing to spread around.

But according to the post he is 63 which would make him 32-33 ish on joining the FFR. A little on the old side for an initial recruit?

Very interesting. I agree it's old for a recruit, but they allow enlistment until age 39.5, as long as you can pass the physical, which includes a fitness test that seems a fairly high bar. They grant a pension after 15 years of service, too, so he's probably drawing a retirement pension. French citizens aren't allowed to join La Legion Etrangere, so he must have had good conduct while a soldier in order to get the French citizenship. 

8 hours ago, The Dark Lord said:

Can you let me know exactly when you will be transiting Khorat with several million in the car? Only for security sake you understand.

:thumbsup:

Alright I'm in. My Chinese Honda copy should get us out of there pretty quick. Never mind the CCTV. They just can't get decent betamax tapes these days.

1 minute ago, Squeegee said:

Alright I'm in. My Chinese Honda copy should get us out of there pretty quick. Never mind the CCTV. They just can't get decent betamax tapes these days.

Hey Squeegee my friend, getting me out of Khorat is good enough. The  additional bonus of the gift for the security gig is icing on the cake. See you outside 7/11 at noon..........

The French man is well protected  ....just watch how quickly this matter will be "under carpet"

Those fellows are protected for life NO MATTER WHAT and NO MATTER WHERE...end of story .

Just watch some programs about French Legion soldier's  .......

20 hours ago, manarak said:

If you studied it, you know what it's worth... it can't be applied where its application would be needed and nearly all countries have a different understanding of it, ranging from "huh?" to "ius cogens ranks higher than decisions of the UN security council".

Personally, I consider ius cogens to be a bunch of bi- and multilateral conventions and treaties, but there is no "international law", simply because nobody has worldwide jurisdiction and power of enforcement.

The remainder of what has been thought up as ius cogens is negated by reality.

International Law is applied in many fields.  Google it and in particular read some of the descriptions of cases examined by NYU staff and students.  But to say International Law doesn't exist or have import is incorrect.

21 hours ago, DrDave said:

But don't they punch holes, or otherwise mark the old passport as "void" upon issuance of a new passport?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Often they just cut passport number from 1 page and make stamp "cancelled" (in Russian, ha-ha), so not everyone could understand.
I used my old passport as a deposit few times. Not because I wanted to cheat owner, but just because I don't like give valid passport to anyone due security reasons.
But in most cases I got motorcycle without depositing any documents. They just make copy, sometimes ask for small money deposit (1,000 - 2,000 THB). Basically, it depends on your communications skills and your appearance :) 

21 hours ago, DrDave said:

I don't think it's possible for an individual to be in possession of two valid/active passports issued by the same country.

According new legislation of Russia, Russian citizens can hold 2 valid passports at the same time. It's for the situation when they want go abroad, but their passport is at Embassy waiting visa. So, holding 2 passports is legal in Russia.

On 2/8/2017 at 7:56 AM, DoctorG said:

Still fighting the Napolianic war?

On 2/8/2017 at 8:23 AM, klauskunkel said:

What was the war with Naples about? Spaghetti Puttanesca, maybe?

sorry, just pulling your leg (Napoleonic Wars) :tongue:

I see your Napolianic, and I raise you Spaghetti alla Puttanesca.

Of course :sorry: too.

3 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

I see your Napolianic, and I raise you Spaghetti alla Puttanesca.

Of course :sorry: too.

Now that is how this forum should run, gentle ribbing , acceptance that we might occasionally be wrong, good humour and levity not all the hatred and bad humoured criticism of anything and everything

Well done chaps, an example to us all!

Archived