Thailand approves extension of free tourist visas to August 2017

it is only for visitors from 21 countries: Andorra, Bulgaria, Bhutan, China, Cyprus, Ethiopia, Fiji, India, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Lithuania, the Maldives, Malta, Mauritius, Papua New Guinea, Romania, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Taiwan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan

It's a continuation of the free tourist visa policy introduced in December. All single entry tourist visas are covered.

40 minutes ago, nakhonandy said:

Already happening. Pattaya has loads of Indians these days.

Not seen many of the rich ones though.

What economic category of Indian citizen do you think can afford to holiday, abroad,  in Thailand?

It's all relative.

Wake up.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, jev23 said:

it is only for visitors from 21 countries: Andorra, Bulgaria, Bhutan, China, Cyprus, Ethiopia, Fiji, India, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Lithuania, the Maldives, Malta, Mauritius, Papua New Guinea, Romania, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Taiwan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan

That is for the 1000 baht visa on arrival.

Tourist visas are free for all nationalities.

29 minutes ago, Enoon said:

What economic category of Indian citizen do you think can afford to holiday, abroad,  in Thailand?

It's all relative.

Wake up.

the problem with a lot of Indians at the moment is even if they have the money in the bank they can't get at the cash and credit card ownership is very low

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-01-05/india-s-cash-woes-are-just-beginning

2 hours ago, pogpog said:

We had our SETV issued by Brisbane Consulate last week.

Dropped the paperwork in on Wednesday, passports arrived, visa issued, on Friday.

No charge for the visa.

Very pleasant and helpful young ladies dealt with our application.

Is the Brisbane consulate open??    Didn't it close?

13 minutes ago, DerekMarshall said:

Is the SETV free until August 31 2017? 

Also, does this mean that you can get a tourist visa before that date and then enter Thailand after August 31? (before the use by period expires?) 

Once the visa is issued without a fee being charged it will still be valid to use for entry for 3 months from the date of issue.

1 hour ago, nakhonandy said:

Why would rich people go to Pattaya, unless it's to stay at The Royal Wing of the Royal Cliff.

I would imagine the wealthier Indians, if they are coming to Thailand, would be in Bangkok or perhaps one of the better resorts in Phuket.

2 hours ago, seancbk said:

India has a large number of wealthy people and a growing middle class that want to travel.   

Don't be too surprised when Thailand catches on and starts promoting itself to India as well.

LOL, knowing that the Thais have a long history of merely tolerating people from India, I would be a little bit surprised at such a promotion.  After all, Thais never refer to a person from India as "farang", but instead as "cack", which means guest,  but in a pejorative (negative) context.  That said, we all know that if there's money to be made, a Thai will jump on the opportunity.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You seem to be writing about a 30 day visa exempt entry which is not a visa on arrival. A visa on arrival only allows a 15 day day entry after applying for it and paying the fee.

Does this mean that a Philippine citizen who doesn't need a visa can enter for 30 days and apply for a visa on arrival(for 1,000 baht) and get 15 extra days for a total of 45 days?

1 hour ago, Enoon said:
1 hour ago, nakhonandy said:

It's all relative.

Wake up.

Seriously?   Do you think all Indians are poor or something?

Try reading this article, it might wake you up to the reality which you've somehow missed

http://www.voanews.com/a/number-of-globe-trotting-indian-tourists-swells-with-rising-incomes/3486099.html

Placed my query in here in hope of the usual swift helpful response.

About to go to Vientianne for a SETV  visa.this week.

Is it still the case that they DO NOT require an air ticket or bank statements like Savannakhet.

I do have bank statements but dont want to buy an air ticket I dont use.

So a simple hassle free experience at Vientianne would be great, IF they are still not requesting the extra documents????

Also is there a link to a download for the LASTEST  application form from SETV  at Vientinne and the visa on arrival form download.

Many thanks in advance for the info and links.

11 minutes ago, thailen said:

Does this mean that a Philippine citizen who doesn't need a visa can enter for 30 days and apply for a visa on arrival(for 1,000 baht) and get 15 extra days for a total of 45 days?

No

A person from the Philippines would not be able to get a visa on arrival. Only those from certain countries can get them.

They can get a 30 day extension of their 30 day visa exempt entry for a fee of 1900 baht.

4 minutes ago, sapson said:

About to go to Vientianne for a SETV  visa.this week.

Is it still the case that they DO NOT require an air ticket or bank statements like Savannakhet.

Vientiane does not require tickets or bank statements.

1 minute ago, CarlGabe said:

Hi! Is it possible to apply for this free visa in other countries than your home country? I am traveling at the moment and would like to apply for it in Vientiane, Laos. Could I do that?

You can get one in Vientiane. 

The free visas are not restricted to only your home country unless you are from a country that can only get any visa there.

• Like 1

Ubon Joe,, I have been coming to Thailand since 2010, firstly for 4 weeks at a time. Last year I came for 6 months and intend to come back at the end of April for another 6 months. Last year I got a Multi entry Visa, I think it cost me $250 NZ. Is it now free.

Regards

4 hours ago, heybuz said:

brisbane australia consul has not been informed yet.

not pleasant talking to over phone either. got lecture on border runs, which i have never done

Try Hobart.. they seem much more pleasant to deal with.

Wasn't aware of the free visa, and sent in my $45AUD for a TR, opened the return replied sachel and saw $45.00 stapled to a letter saying FREE until 28 Feb, 2017

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jackie66 said:

While good news i wonder does this actually stimulate tourism? Is the 25USD for the visa really a decision maker if you will fly half around the world on a 2 week holiday considering the other costs associated with it?

I can't Imagine $25 making a difference unless a traveler was tossing up between two SE Asian countries, and the visa cost for  the other was $100.00, and he  didn't have a strong preference for one or the other.  Too many If's.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes you can.

but nows the new hassle. so I can lets say I'm in india or lao go to thai embassy and get a free 60 day visa ?????  I wonder if the hassle of that experience is better or if its just better to pay the 1900 baht here.:  ???  I just got 30 days more at krabi immigration.   took me 5 minutes.. in and out

54 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

I can't Imagine $25 making a difference unless a traveler was tossing up between two SE Asian countries, and the visa cost for  the other was $100.00, and he  didn't have a strong preference for one or the other.  Too many If's.

The news item says " had resulted in a 12% increase in foreign tourist arrivals ".

As with any business drop the price even a little bit and get more customers.  It is a surprising improvement though, perhaps they should drop visa extension charges too :)

7 hours ago, Jackie66 said:

While good news i wonder does this actually stimulate tourism? Is the 25USD for the visa really a decision maker if you will fly half around the world on a 2 week holiday considering the other costs associated with it?

Tourist don't even get to keep the US$25 to spend on whatever they choose. Before when this visa discount was announced the Hotels Association immediately recommended to their members they put their prices up 10%.  No doubt some other grasping tourist retail/food outlets likewise jacked their prices to snatch (I love that word) that money back out of their hands.