BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
webfact

Thailand approves extension of free tourist visas to August 2017

4 minutes ago, sapson said:

About to go to Vientianne for a SETV  visa.this week.

Is it still the case that they DO NOT require an air ticket or bank statements like Savannakhet.

Vientiane does not require tickets or bank statements.

Hi! Is it possible to apply for this free visa in other countries than your home country? I am traveling at the moment and would like to apply for it in Vientiane, Laos. Could I do that?

1 minute ago, CarlGabe said:

Hi! Is it possible to apply for this free visa in other countries than your home country? I am traveling at the moment and would like to apply for it in Vientiane, Laos. Could I do that?

You can get one in Vientiane. 

The free visas are not restricted to only your home country unless you are from a country that can only get any visa there.

• Like 1

Ubon Joe,, I have been coming to Thailand since 2010, firstly for 4 weeks at a time. Last year I came for 6 months and intend to come back at the end of April for another 6 months. Last year I got a Multi entry Visa, I think it cost me $250 NZ. Is it now free.

Regards

4 minutes ago, wijipa said:

Last year I got a Multi entry Visa, I think it cost me $250 NZ. Is it now free.

No it is not. Only a single entry tourist visa is free.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Vientiane does not require tickets or bank statements.

Thanks Joe , found the links for the Vientienne SETV Visa form download on this site but its dated 2015, I guess that form is still ok?

8 minutes ago, sapson said:

Thanks Joe , found the links for the Vientienne SETV Visa form download on this site but its dated 2015, I guess that form is still ok?

I think it is the same as this form on their website. http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/upload/pdf/Visa Application Form_new_V_13_8_2558.pdf

4 hours ago, heybuz said:

brisbane australia consul has not been informed yet.

not pleasant talking to over phone either. got lecture on border runs, which i have never done

Try Hobart.. they seem much more pleasant to deal with.

Wasn't aware of the free visa, and sent in my $45AUD for a TR, opened the return replied sachel and saw $45.00 stapled to a letter saying FREE until 28 Feb, 2017

• Like 1

so what u are saying is if I'm in Vietnam for example. i can go to thai embassy and get a free 60 day visa?

3 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

so what u are saying is if I'm in Vietnam for example. i can go to thai embassy and get a free 60 day visa?

Yes you can.

5 hours ago, Jackie66 said:

While good news i wonder does this actually stimulate tourism? Is the 25USD for the visa really a decision maker if you will fly half around the world on a 2 week holiday considering the other costs associated with it?

I can't Imagine $25 making a difference unless a traveler was tossing up between two SE Asian countries, and the visa cost for  the other was $100.00, and he  didn't have a strong preference for one or the other.  Too many If's.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes you can.

but nows the new hassle. so I can lets say I'm in india or lao go to thai embassy and get a free 60 day visa ?????  I wonder if the hassle of that experience is better or if its just better to pay the 1900 baht here.:  ???  I just got 30 days more at krabi immigration.   took me 5 minutes.. in and out

54 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

I can't Imagine $25 making a difference unless a traveler was tossing up between two SE Asian countries, and the visa cost for  the other was $100.00, and he  didn't have a strong preference for one or the other.  Too many If's.

The news item says " had resulted in a 12% increase in foreign tourist arrivals ".

As with any business drop the price even a little bit and get more customers.  It is a surprising improvement though, perhaps they should drop visa extension charges too :)

7 hours ago, Jackie66 said:

While good news i wonder does this actually stimulate tourism? Is the 25USD for the visa really a decision maker if you will fly half around the world on a 2 week holiday considering the other costs associated with it?

Tourist don't even get to keep the US$25 to spend on whatever they choose. Before when this visa discount was announced the Hotels Association immediately recommended to their members they put their prices up 10%.  No doubt some other grasping tourist retail/food outlets likewise jacked their prices to snatch (I love that word) that money back out of their hands.