Corrugated roof with 25mm insulation -pics for your info

petejjj

Cost breakdown:
1/corrugated roof sheet 0.35mm thick blue scope steel brand made in Australia was THB115/m (linear metre). The shop had a cheaper locally made sheet for THB95/m, or a thinner version 0.30mm for 85/m
2/ insulation foam (PU Foam) was an additional THB140/m (linear metre). We used silver on the underside. Choice was white that was paintable or silver
3/ facia board is cement sheet based by SCG. We used 8" and it was THB300/m. 6" was 260/m and 4" was 180/m
4/ the roofing screws were 65mm long and cost THB300/bag of 100.

The company we used was BK Group Roofing.

Installation cost varied but was around THB60/m for roof sheets. Additional cost for facia and flashing. We also had to replace some roof battens so that incurred an increase in costs.

The difference inside the house is remarkable. The previous leaky tin roof made staying inside unbearable even on cooler day once the sun was out. Now this roof makes staying inside much more comfortable. There is minimal heat transferred to the underside of the insulation.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Pete

Great idea ,  I must say that  have never seen that in the USA ,   so no idea if it was sold in another part of the country 

a couple of questions:

how are the long  sheets attached to each other ? they do not seem to overhang each other like the plain metal ones

did you buy it already done like in the photo . or did you have to put the layers together ?

did you figure out a square meter price

Thanks for the info

Good choice  :thumbsup:  composite roof sheeting has been around for many many years glad to see it being introduced into Thailand.
Be even better when the underlining is galvanize sheet metal as well.

..thanks for your comment. Agree it was the best choice available other than going to roof tiles which would have meant more work. It is remarkable how much difference the roof made. We used brown which looks like Coca Cola colour. The red piece was a sample from the shop.
Thanks
Pete

Great idea ,  I must say that  have never seen that in the USA ,   so no idea if it was sold in another part of the country 

a couple of questions:

how are the long  sheets attached to each other ? they do not seem to overhang each other like the plain metal ones

did you buy it already done like in the photo . or did you have to put the layers together ?

did you figure out a square meter price

Thanks for the info

Hi,
The sheets give 30" or approx 760mm coverage (width) per each sheet. Each sheet had one long edge with insulation to the edge and on the other side it had one and a half corrugations with NO insulation for overlapping to the next sheet if that makes sense. From the underside I.e. Inside the house you see full insulation (30" wide per length)
The shop came to our house and measured the old roof sheets and each sheet was cut to length. They measured the existing sheets and made the Ne ones in one continual piece. They are rolled and pressed at their factory. We had 10 lengths 7.7m long, 5x 4.7m, 15x 5.85m, 6x3.84m, 5x 7.25m and 6x 4.25m.

The photo hopefully shows each sheet if that makes sense, so yes it was in layers. 47 sheets (30" coverage) of various lengths as above.

No we didn't work it out per square metre. Sorry.

Hope that helps

Cheers Pete

9 minutes ago, petejjj said:

..thanks for your comment. Agree it was the best choice available other than going to roof tiles which would have meant more work. It is remarkable how much difference the roof made. We used brown which looks like Coca Cola colour. The red piece was a sample from the shop.
Thanks
Pete

Yeah usually the lighter the colour the better but the foam is very insulating so it will make a big different to roof heat affecting the home room areas.

Many cold store type factories are built with composite sheet panels on roof & walls and have a top sheet and metal liner with 100mm thickness of foam from the underside of flat valley part of the top sheet.

Roof panels 30 metre in length are craned into position.

Here common example of usual side lap cover roll joining of panels, there are different methods as well.

images.jpg

Here also shows what's know as a cut back, this is an eave panel but the cut back can be made bigger so that panels can be lapped if full length panels are not site practical. 

Picture 320_0.jpg

http://www.mcrma.co.uk/pdf/mcrma_t09.pdf

Do you need to coat/cover the exposed foam insulation at the outer edges?  i.e. Does the foam crumble or otherwise deteriorate with exposure to the elements?

The shop said it shouldn't be a problem. The insulation should be behind the facia board to be politically correct. Then the exposed foam would be protected and covered by the facia.
The shop had a display out in the weather and it was not recessed, i.e. It was exposed to the weather and it looked fine.
Cheers Pete

20 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Good choice  :thumbsup:  composite roof sheeting has been around for many many years glad to see it being introduced into Thailand.

Be even better when the underlining is galvanize sheet metal as well.

It has been around for yrs here

They just don't use this type due to cost, the best you will get is the 10mm or 1/2 " stuff as i ended up with since the builder thought it would be ok since outside awning.

Good price of 35,000 bht (50m/2)or so as my 66 m/2 awning cost 73 000 bht  inclusive of the 8000 bht worth of new steel i gave them, only had to buy another 8000 bht worth of steel

By the way you can get various underside coatings IE : plastic / metal / foil - most people go for foil as metal & plastic is mainly for looks or a certain application & dearer - Australia has metal each side for awnings

There is also the extras available like flashing that sits neat over the corrugation & end capping where you see the foam - but as mentioned no real need as PU Foam is bug & fire resistant, & the main issue is that it also won't be affected by water under the eave.

18 hours ago, wpcoe said:

Do you need to coat/cover the exposed foam insulation at the outer edges?  i.e. Does the foam crumble or otherwise deteriorate with exposure to the elements?

Not really necessary it can be done for aesthetic reasons,  birds do tend to peck away bits sometimes. 

In the UK if the eave were exposed to view by design then profile rubber fillers or fabricated metal profile flashing's were installed. 

As  ' pete '  said a fascia board covers his and profile fillers can be put in roll profiles on top of fascia if wanted.

On 2/8/2017 at 9:28 AM, petejjj said:

Cost breakdown:
1/corrugated roof sheet 0.35mm thick blue scope steel brand made in Australia was THB115/m (linear metre). The shop had a cheaper locally made sheet for THB95/m, or a thinner version 0.30mm for 85/m
2/ insulation foam (PU Foam) was an additional THB140/m (linear metre). We used silver on the underside. Choice was white that was paintable or silver
3/ facia board is cement sheet based by SCG. We used 8" and it was THB300/m. 6" was 260/m and 4" was 180/m
4/ the roofing screws were 65mm long and cost THB300/bag of 100.

The company we used was BK Group Roofing.

I just wanted to post to say thank you to Pete for taking the time to share this information - very much appreciated. I have been looking at the Bluescope website and seen the coated steel, but no mention of the insulation (at least that I could see). Thank you!

You're welcome Jim shorts. Glad to help and return something to this forum.

The roof sheets were blue scope and they had various colours and were not yet rolled or formed into shape. They had a press machine that rolled and pressed the flat sheet off the roll.
The insulation was separate and was called PU foam.
They said we could use any steel and they add the foam insulation once each sheet is pressed - rolled into shape and cut to the correct length
Cheers
Pete

On 2/9/2017 at 11:29 PM, petejjj said:

You're welcome Jim shorts. Glad to help and return something to this forum.

The roof sheets were blue scope and they had various colours and were not yet rolled or formed into shape. They had a press machine that rolled and pressed the flat sheet off the roll.
The insulation was separate and was called PU foam.
They said we could use any steel and they add the foam insulation once each sheet is pressed - rolled into shape and cut to the correct length
Cheers
Pete

There's also a place between BKK & Hua Hin - I'm sure i found it through an old link on here

Archived