Is it against Thai Law to put an animal to sleep?

I have heard conflicting stories about this. Forget the twisted  'Thai version of Buddhism' is it against Thai law?  

I have taken a feral cat to the vet on Tuesday that was suffering horribly with peritonitis and I asked for it to be put to sleep then got a lecture about 'morality' and the cat died a lingering, horrible death.

I can't describe how outraged I am and I don't want to hear stories or posts about the twisted 'Thai version of compassion/Buddhism' please - just the facts - is it unlawful? 

No, it's not unlawful.  But on the other hand, there's no law which you could use to force a vet to perform the euthanasia.  It's his choice, and it doesn't matter what principle he uses to support that choice, some kind of Buddhist nonsense or just his own dislike.

4 hours ago, JusMe said:

No, it's not unlawful.  But on the other hand, there's no law which you could use to force a vet to perform the euthanasia.  It's his choice, and it doesn't matter what principle he uses to support that choice, some kind of Buddhist nonsense or just his own dislike.

yes I thought that would be the case i'm just sad for the creature to go through such suffering, but some friends say it's unlawful some say as you, but i think you are right

one of the first questions i asked a previous vet,if anything was to happen to my boy [god forbid it doesnt] but if faced with having your beloved suffer what would you be prepared to do,after a silence hmmmmmmm,i butted in and said 50,000bht ok. YES.

We have a new vet in town just out of school.  I asked her about euthanasia and she said that if she thought it was warranted she would prepare the animal, but she would go outside and let me push the plunger.   She said that it was against her beliefs which is her right and I respect her for being honest!

51 minutes ago, wayned said:

We have a new vet in town just out of school.  I asked her about euthanasia and she said that if she thought it was warranted she would prepare the animal, but she would go outside and let me push the plunger.   She said that it was against her beliefs which is her right and I respect her for being honest!

I would have done it without question. I argued with the Vet who was adamant and talked about 'morality'  there is nothing un-Buddhist about compassion and no doubt they all go home and eat their chicken, bacon and beef

17 minutes ago, Arjen said:

I once found a big heron in our garden. It has probably hitted the high voltage cables on our land. A complicated left broken wing, and a complcated broken right leg (the bone came out)

I went to a nearby animal hosptal. They could amputate the wing and leg, and then the bird could live several years in a cage. I told them this is not an option for a wild bird, and asked them to put it down. They refused.

So I went to an other vet. She had about the same "solution" while she was holding the bird I grabbed it out her hands, and pulled off the head from the bird. I did not feel happy about this, and even do not feel proud. I felt myself quite dirty.

The vet was so angry, I was thinking she wanted to attack me. But the birds suffering had ended....

Arjen.

2014-07-15 10.54.03.jpg

2014-07-15 10.54.11.jpg

2014-07-15 10.55.46.jpg

2014-07-15 14.20.28.jpg

2014-07-15 09.17.48.jpg

2014-07-15 10.53.20.jpg

2014-07-15 10.53.33.jpg

no one enjoys it but you did the RIGHT thing and thank you - shame on the Vet

47 minutes ago, Arjen said:

I once found a big heron in our garden. It has probably hitted the high voltage cables on our land. A complicated left broken wing, and a complcated broken right leg (the bone came out)

I went to a nearby animal hosptal. They could amputate the wing and leg, and then the bird could live several years in a cage. I told them this is not an option for a wild bird, and asked them to put it down. They refused.

So I went to an other vet. She had about the same "solution" while she was holding the bird I grabbed it out her hands, and pulled off the head from the bird. I did not feel happy about this, and even do not feel proud. I felt myself quite dirty.

The vet was so angry, I was thinking she wanted to attack me. But the birds suffering had ended....

Arjen.

2014-07-15 10.54.03.jpg

2014-07-15 10.54.11.jpg

2014-07-15 10.55.46.jpg

2014-07-15 14.20.28.jpg

2014-07-15 09.17.48.jpg

2014-07-15 10.53.20.jpg

2014-07-15 10.53.33.jpg

i am sure i could have done the same,but to my own i dont think i could face up to being there or doing it.

to experience the love and joy we get from our beloved at so late in life i cant bare to think out it.

9 hours ago, JusMe said:

Exactly.  Which is why its so important to find a vet that you not only consider the best in the neighbourhood, but also agrees that pets/animals shouldn't be left to suffer when things are only going to get even worse for them.

Unfortunately these vets are few and far between, but they can be found - although possibly only in 'wealthy' areas, where the vets have been educated abroad or have otherwise long experience with the Western culture?

5 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Exactly.  Which is why its so important to find a vet that you not only consider the best in the neighbourhood, but also agrees that pets/animals shouldn't be left to suffer when things are only going to get even worse for them.

Unfortunately these vets are few and far between, but they can be found - although possibly only in 'wealthy' areas, where the vets have been educated abroad or have otherwise long experience with the Western culture?

yes... this poor cat suffered greatly and arguing with them is pointless they just talked to me about 'morality'.  they are not bad people just philosophically ignorant 

18 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

yes DD the vet that nodded he would do what i sugested for money,was trained in america.

• 2 weeks later...

Its not against the law , much to my sadness I had to put my dog to rest just last week after 13 years of daily companionship . Our vet was very nice I was right there holding her when they did it . They kept her a few hours after and washed her and dressed her in the shirt she had come in with and placed her in a box for me ...

10 hours ago, BB1955 said:

Its not against the law , much to my sadness I had to put my dog to rest just last week after 13 years of daily companionship . Our vet was very nice I was right there holding her when they did it . They kept her a few hours after and washed her and dressed her in the shirt she had come in with and placed her in a box for me ...

condolances R.I.P.

10 hours ago, BB1955 said:

sorry to hear that when you feel you can please share who the vet was, cost etc.

I find the 'morality' vs 'immorality' issue to be a joke.  Given the number of pets that have been killed on the road within 50 meters of our home, not to mention the number I've seen killed on the same road between our home and the highway 8 km away, I'd venture to say the most Thais driving cars have absolutely no problems running over and killing cats and dogs on the road.  They may voice that it is 'immoral' to put a suffering pet down, but then the same person has no problems 'running them down' in a vehicle.  Pretty hypocritical imho. 

So my hat is off to any vet who is willing to assist in ending the suffering of a pet. 

3 hours ago, connda said:

I find the 'morality' vs 'immorality' issue to be a joke.  Given the number of pets that have been killed on the road within 50 meters of our home, not to mention the number I've seen killed on the same road between our home and the highway 8 km away, I'd venture to say the most Thais driving cars have absolutely no problems running over and killing cats and dogs on the road.  They may voice that it is 'immoral' to put a suffering pet down, but then the same person has no problems 'running them down' in a vehicle.  Pretty hypocritical imho. 

So my hat is off to any vet who is willing to assist in ending the suffering of a pet. 

indeed and just as hypocritical is some claim to be 'animal lovers' yet don't look after their 'pets' and let them roam free and, to top it all,  eat animals they claim to love and maybe their relatives according to their version of buddhism 

• 2 weeks later...

There is a lovely piece on the BBC website about traveling//living overseas with animals. By a journalist who has lived in several different countries, including Thailand. It touches on this topic but it's a great piece and well worth a read.

• 2 weeks later...

My dog had renal failure (there is no comming back from that), could barely walk, had lost half his weight, and went into siezures several times a day.

After asking 5 vets I found one, she was still reluctant to do it. Price was 1000 baht, including a lecture and got told never to come back.

Its one of those thing you dont want to mess around with in a halfbaked DIY project, but....

Any input on a handfull of diazapan and an airtight box?

Archived