All provinces to go ahead with Garbage-Free Thailand campaign

webfact

All provinces to go ahead with Garbage-Free Thailand campaign

BANGKOK, 9 February 2017 (NNT) – The Ministry of Interior (MOI) has instructed all provincial authorities to go ahead with a Garbage-Free Thailand campaign. 

The Ministry of Interior’s Permanent-Secretary Grisada Boonrach said all provinces had been informed by the Department of Local Administration to carry out the waste management campaign in bid to reduce the total quantity of garbage by five percent in a year. 

He said the MOI had established a command center for Garbage-Free Thailand. It will evaluate the outcomes of the campaign and reported to the cabinet on monthly basis. 

The one-year campaign calls for the promotion of waste management knowledge among local people using the Reduce, Reuse, Recycle principles, the encouragement for government offices, schools, offices, and religious places to conduct garbage sorting, the promotion of garbage sorting and waste management at markets, and the promotion of communities which excellent result as models for other communities. 

A contest will be held to award clean villages and communities by three villages per district and three clean districts per one province, according to the criteria drafted by the MOI. The regional contest will be held in June-July, while a national contest will be held in August-September 2017.

An excellent place to start with this so-called "campaign" would be CP's 7-Eleven stores. It always sickens me to see how they hand out 3 plastic straws with every single can of coke and even beer they sell, put a single pack of chewing gum into a tiny plastic bag and even "supplement" a cup of yogurt with a couple of plastic spoons.

While I always reject that unwanted plastic garbage (Unlike most Thais, I am actually able to carry a single bag of chips in my hand!), I frequently earn strange looks for it.

As a matter of fact, CP instructs all their 7-Eleven staff and franchisees to maintain that practice. I know, because I've asked.

I was literally told on numerous occasions CP's franchise trainers insist that "Thai people expect some plastic straws and spoons, because they're lazy to wash drinking glasses or metal cutlery" and "they expect that their single-item purchase be packed into tiny plastic bags, because it's more convenient for them to carry it that way."

If all 7-Elevens' across the country stopped giving out all that plastic stuff, it already would help a tremendous lot. Then continue with their supermarket chains like Big C and others.

But then again, who would dare to order CP around?     

Just been shopping in Big C.  Came out with ten Carrier Bags when only needed five.  They even put a pack of four small batteries in a separate bag and a pair of socks in another separate bag !

Usually take my own 'Bags for Life' but went out in a hurry and forgot them today, won't happen again.   They are clueless; all the bullshit from Government Departments does not educate a single person at ground zero level.   It all needs to be started at home and in the schools but hey...they don't even teach them to count 2+2.    I went for lunch and ordered two items, one 99 Baht, the other 40 Baht, gave the girl 140, she couldn't count the two together so went to get a calculator from the next stall...appalling. 

Save your 10 Big C plastic bags and give them to a dog owner in your neighborhood so they can pickup their dogs do-doos.

Or use them as bin liners..or just throw them in the bushes with all the other rubbish,they biodegrade eventually.

3 hours ago, jerojero said:

How about starting with receptacles in all public places, and getting the garbage into said receptacles!

And then emptying said receptacles on a regular basis (not onto the road).

There are already thousands of "poor people" who sort through all the bins for glass, some plastics,paper and metal...if the somehow all plastics returned to an official recycling plant had some monetary value the eyesore could be much reduced
at the same time instead of adverts for whitening creams during the evening soap operas there should be entertaining adverts for "keep Thailand tidy"

I think the schools already do try to teach the kids about putting stuff in the bin...so maybe next generation will see some progress.

8 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

Garbage-Free Thailand 

Never in a million years     :cheesy:

Gotta agree... Go to a shop or supermarket.. But 7 items and receive 9 plastic bags.. Water bottles, food cartons. drinking straws, plastic spoons plus the inevitable tiny containers of nam pla, nam jiim and chilli flakes.. Will take two or three generations to educate the public into using more environmentally friendly packaging. And even longer to make sure they dispose of waste with some care. Tired of seeing people throw plastic cups from moving cars or while riding scooters.

Ignorance and selfishness.  

As Thailand is only 5th on the list of sea polutters they could easily move to number 1 and short term achieve the garbage free target.

Simply, starting with the northermost province,dump all the garbage in to the province to the south and continue on down to the gulf of Thailand.

Campaign is not the solution. When grown-ups in this country can go to a school ceremony and get samething for free, and then throw the empty package on the ground it shows the way for the children. When grown.ups can act like responsible grown-ups we can eventually get a result.

10 hours ago, webfact said:

The one-year campaign calls for the promotion of waste management knowledge among local people using the Reduce, Reuse, Recycle principles, the encouragement for government offices, schools, offices, and religious places to conduct garbage sorting, the promotion of garbage sorting and waste management at markets, and the promotion of communities which excellent result as models for other communities. 

This is great, but when they are sorted by the communities will they be recycled properly?

Do the facilities exist for this to happen?

If not all that will happen is that the litter problem will be solved [at the very best} but the plastic and other materials will not be recycled, rather just put somewhere else.

Plastic is the greatest threat as it does not biodegrade and if it is just buried somewhere it will remain as it is for around 500 years or more.

Though, even when it degrades it does not biodegrade. It is just reduced to a toxic 'sand'. 

Or at least that is what is claimed will happen eventually, plastic hasn't been around long enough for any of it to degrade. {So how it is known it takes 500 years is something I still wonder about}.

Are there plans to introduce environmentally friendly ''plastics'' which are not petrochemical based and therefore will biodegrade? Well that's what is claimed anyway, there are still issues with these. {The methane they produce is a lot higher than is desirable and some don't exactly biodegrade as effectively as their manufacturers would have us believe}.

I hate plastic...mainly because, despite the toxicity and pollution issues surrounding it, I can't see how the modern world can function without it.

Actually, recycling works rather well in Thailand, at least up here in Chiang Rai.  Even so, Thais have a looooooooooooooooooong loooooooooong way to go -  towards doing the right things re; trash.  Attitudes take generations to change in a country like Thailand, if they change at all. 

Just one of 1,000 examples:  there's an abandoned quarry near my house.  I'm the only person on the planet who has inspected it from an archaelogical perspective.  I've found indications of thrombolites there.  Thrombolites are the earliest communal life form - and are found in Newfoundland and on the western coast of Australia. Mention it to 1,000 Thai people and you'll get a yawn.   Now the quarry is packed with 2.5 meter high stacks of garbage.

At another site nearby, there are remnants of 550 to 750 year old kilns where bricks were made (probably for religious buildings), and iron was smelt.  Do Thai's care? Apparently not. 

One man in australia about 30 years ago started a campaign called clean up australia at that time it wassnt so much plastic bags but beer cans littering the roadsides,today you would be hardpressed to see any rubbish in or around most of the country,he simply shamed the population for tossing rubbish on the ground and destroying the enviorment and it worked schoolkids would admonish their parents if they did not dispose of there garbage responsibly. Today every year thousands of average people join together to collect rubbish on beaches and  roadsidesn a designated day called "clean up australia day". He suceeded in shameing the population.This was done through educating the children then the government took it up with a television campaign

18 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Well it's a start and good giving the people some education in garbage management.

As long as it's something the govt has to "educate" people to do, rather than something learned at home and as youngsters, it'll continue to be the problem it is.

Archived