"Man behind murder of Tony Kenway in Pattaya" arrested by Thai police in Cambodia

webfact

"Man behind murder of Tony Kenway" arrested by Thai police in Cambodia

1p.jpg

Thai police have arrested a UK man thought to have ordered the shooting of Tony Kenway in Pattaya last month.

Mr Kenway, 39, was shot execution style in his red Porsche Cayenne outside the Sanit Sports Club in Pong sub-district on January 24th, reported Thairath.

The shooter a South African and his accomplice, a British national, fled on a motorcycle that was later recovered. They escaped across the border to Cambodia.

Thai Rath reported that Jirawut Tanthasri of Nong Preu police went to Cambodia where a UK national called Jamie Tobey (name transliterated from Thai) aged about 45 was taken into custody.

He will be brought back to Thailand for questioning. Police said that he was a former friend and business associate of Mr Kenway. They had argued and even had a fist fight at one point.

Police think that Toby ordered the killing, said Thai Rath.

Miles Dicken Turner, 24, who rode the motorcycle and Abel Caldeira Bonito, 28, the shooter, remain at large. A warrant is out for their arrest.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-02-09

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Police think he ordered the killing. It will be very interesting to see if there is any evidence to support this thought process. Whilst the 2 alleged perps are out of reach it would be rather difficult to get confirmation of this claim.

So the actual killers remain at large.. 

Mr Tobey will post bail at a Pattaya court and will be free to leave the country, which he will do. 300-400,000 baht bail and off he goes.

Just look at the guy who beat the school teacher into a coma or all the pedophiles and extortionists that got bail. 

He is actually lucky that some of the coppers from NongPrue made their way to bring him back to Pattaya if I read that right.

Doubt the Cambodian courts would grant him bail.. 

I am not sure why journalists like to refer to this type of murder as "execution style".  I can't think of one country, not even China, that has carried out official executions by shooting the convicted man in the head unexpectedly as he is getting into his car.

5 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

I am not sure why journalists like to refer to this type of murder as "execution style".  I can't think of one country, not even China, that has carried out official executions by shooting the convicted man in the head unexpectedly as he is getting into his car.

would you prefer "assassination" style... or are you just being "picky" about words?

4 hours ago, JerryinTH said:

Mr Tobey will post bail at a Pattaya court and will be free to leave the country, which he will do. 300-400,000 baht bail and off he goes.

Just look at the guy who beat the school teacher into a coma or all the pedophiles and extortionists that got bail. 

He is actually lucky that some of the coppers from NongPrue made their way to bring him back to Pattaya if I read that right.

This would not surprise me at all.  At any rate we should expect an outcome that somehow fails to expose what Tony Kenway was really up to in Pattaya for those 7 years and who was on the take when he made a lot of money and was able to pose as a legitimate expat businessman and move in hi-so Thai circles without ever feeling the need to even register a company or get a work permit for himself or his many foreign staff or fill in a tax return.   Alternatively Mr Tobey might be mysteriously found dead in custody in Cambodia or Thailand.  

I doubt we shall ever hear anything more of Mr Turner or Mr Bonito.  It should not have been too difficult for Cambodian police to find them, particularly given the inept efforts they made to cover their tracks in Thailand.  But they are probably sporting new cement socks somewhere in Cambodian waters by now.

4 hours ago, JerryinTH said:

And why wouldn't he get bail? Obviously if there is no evidence other than intutition they can't just keep him. There are probably hundreds of people with motive to have killed that guy as he was allegedly a swindler. Are they just going to keep all of them in jail just in case? Nonsense. Those who play with fire get burned 

53 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

would you prefer "assassination" style... or are you just being "picky" about words?

They could say he was murdered getting into his car but they like to sensationalise these things. Saying he was executed implies there was some sort of due process involved.  To say he was assassinated implies he was someone important like JFK or someone.  

He was just a nasty little English crook who delighted in robbing pensioners of their life savings and got murdered by another set of nasty little crooks who were probably doing the same thing in competition with him. 

3 minutes ago, JohnMiller70 said:

And why wouldn't he get bail? Obviously if there is no evidence other than intutition they can't just keep him. There are probably hundreds of people with motive to have killed that guy as he was allegedly a swindler. Are they just going to keep all of them in jail just in case? Nonsense. Those who play with fire get burned 

Normally only Thais get bail, if they are charged with murder, and they need connections and money to get that.  We don't know what evidence they have on him but it doesn't need to be very convincing to keep the average foreigner (Burmese) on remand without possibility of bail.  If he survives long enough to get bail and doesn't have a nasty accident soon after getting out, then we could sure that there is something fishy going on.

14 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

This would not surprise me at all.  At any rate we should expect an outcome that somehow fails to expose what Tony Kenway was really up to in Pattaya for those 7 years and who was on the take when he made a lot of money and was able to pose as a legitimate expat businessman and move in hi-so Thai circles without ever feeling the need to even register a company or get a work permit for himself or his many foreign staff or fill in a tax return.   Alternatively Mr Tobey might be mysteriously found dead in custody in Cambodia or Thailand.  

I doubt we shall ever hear anything more of Mr Turner or Mr Bonito.  It should not have been too difficult for Cambodian police to find them, particularly given the inept efforts they made to cover their tracks in Thailand.  But they are probably sporting new cement socks somewhere in Cambodian waters by now.

If they are indeed wearing concrete socks, or assisting in the growth of new daisies, it will be interesting to see what, if anything, the cops have to substantiate their belief he ordered the hit.

Given the trail those two left behind, whoever did order the hit, really needs to ensure they never speak to the authorities. Can't see them keeping quiet some how.

If the rumours regarding Mr. Kelways activities are correct, there would likely be a significant number of pissed off and potentially homicidal ex customers out there.

It does concern me that the cops are being put under significant pressure to convict someone, anyone, just to not look stupid. Anyone with a grudge will do right?

Despite motive being just one element.

If they have the right guy, fair play. It would be nice, though naive, to believe that the actual evidence at court will be correct, truthful and comprehensive.

Haven't seen a trial here yet sadly, where that could be said to be the case.

11 minutes ago, JohnMiller70 said:

I had a friend in prison here, bail refused even though no evidence of a crime.  After way to long he was released.

Evidence can be meaningless here. 

Just now, chrissables said:

I had a friend in prison here, bail refused even though no evidence of a crime.  After way to long he was released.

Evidence can be meaningless here. 

It is also significantly less costly to get bail on a murder charge here than possession of drugs.

Sentence will be significantly less too.

Russian guy in Nong Plalai prison got 9 years, while an English guy with Ya Ice got 39. Bail for the Russian (which he didn't have), was 500,000, and the drugs (also didn't have), 3 million!

I do not believe that in either case there was remotely enough "evidence" to have secured a conviction in a developed country, with a proper Judicial system.

This is not England and the same rules do not apply.

1 hour ago, Dogmatix said:

thats because this is execution style as performed by organised crime. 

an execution need not be "official" or political

1 hour ago, paulinbkk111 said:

Nothing at all about Jamie Tobey online. Like a ghost.

An earlier poster mentioned that the guy's name was on a Cambodian expat site. This was:  "Toby Jamie Nelhams" The same site also gave this name:"Thattawida Nelhams". Presumably his Thai wife but no indication that she has been picked up as well, but seemingly her name was also on a Cambodian immigration list at PP airport

The name Toby Nelhams can be found on LinkedIn, but with only basic details as an entrepreneur with connections to Thailand and Restaurants. Maybe the 'Fishermans', as noted earlier.

Still no mention of Bill and Ben. Maybe 'hiding' in a couple of flower pots.

Now here is a thought.

When the police learn that a murder as been perpetrated and they learn the person who was murdered has money and involved in a substantial money making operation, do you think that aspect of the case would persuade the police to diligently follow up on all aspects of that particular case ....as compared...as compared....... to a person who was murdered and it is learned the murdered person is just an average citizen of modest means and no money of any significance involved..... or not that they know of or not that they can imagine.

A good number of foreigners are murdered in Thailand and certainly over the last 30 years for example while most of them are swept under the table, so to speak ....so why are they in hot pursuit of the suspects in this particular case???

Can you imagine why?

Cheers

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

It is also significantly less costly to get bail on a murder charge here than possession of drugs.

Sentence will be significantly less too.

Russian guy in Nong Plalai prison got 9 years, while an English guy with Ya Ice got 39. Bail for the Russian (which he didn't have), was 500,000, and the drugs (also didn't have), 3 million!

I do not believe that in either case there was remotely enough "evidence" to have secured a conviction in a developed country, with a proper Judicial system.

This is not England and the same rules do not apply.

just saw another story where a driver shot and killed a 17 year old over a parking space argument in ChonBuri, who got bail for 200,000!

Charges of murder AND an unlicensed weapon. Life is cheap.

Archived