"Man behind murder of Tony Kenway in Pattaya" arrested by Thai police in Cambodia

webfact

9 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Maybe because the victim chose to post a certain picture on his FB site. I think there's probably some significant pressure to show that this murder was 100% foreign criminal and foreign crime related with no home grown links of any sort.

8 hours ago, Rough Rider said:

That is were you make the mistake. The crime took place in Thailand. Tony Kenway committed multi million dollar crimes in Thailand that was still under investigation when he was murdered. That make this case a 100% Thai criminal case and the urge to find and catch the people involved. 

A clarification on what I meant by "100% foreign criminal and foreign crime related with no home-grown links of any sort."

The victims of boiler room crimes perpetrated by their operatives based in Thailand are almost exclusively foreigners living outside Thailand. No Thai people have been scammed and as far as we are aware, no retired expatriates in Thailand have been scammed while living in Thailand... or at least none that are willing to openly admit to being scammed. 

As is the case for the current victim, any prosecutions of boiler room workers of any sort are based on violations of either immigration or labour department laws and nothing at all to do with the perpetration of international financial fraud.

Previous murders of boiler room managers have also been due to conflicts between rival, foreign owned and operated boiler rooms. One notably used a Thai hitman but that, the location of the murder and the fact that the rival boiler rooms were in Bangkok were the only public links to Thailand or a Thai person. The murder of the foreigner was requested by another foreigner in a rival boiler room.

Since the Bangkok-based boiler room cold-callers use VOIP technologies that can mask the location of the operative making the call, it looks like they can't easily be charged for any violation of the otherwise all-embracing and quite powerful Thailand computer crimes act. It appears that Thailand does have its own fish to fry using those increasingly draconian laws but boiler rooms doesn't appear to be included.

The volume of boiler rooms that have operated or are still operating in Thailand is massive compared to the amount that have been simply shut down by Thai police. No Thai people have ever needed to file a complaint against them.

...and then one of the foreigners ripping off other foreigners posts a picture of a very important Thai person on his personal social media.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, alocacoc said:

The headline is misleading. The guy got arrested by Cambodian Police, not Thai.

Journalistic license - let's not be accurate, attention grabbing headlines, we need to sell. So, what is new about the media! :whistling:

Hope they catch and incarcerate the perps for life.

20 hours ago, jphripjah said:

I think his name is Toby Jamie Nelhams. A Cambodia expat site says immigration officers at Phnom Penh airport had that name posted in their booths this week. 

Not correct; Toby NELHAMS KING. Very high IQ and not so stupid to walk into a 90 day trap.

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

...and then one of the foreigners ripping off other foreigners posts a picture of a very important Thai person on his personal social media.

Someone not without his own financial difficulties in the not too distant past.

18 hours ago, darksidedog said:

It is also significantly less costly to get bail on a murder charge here than possession of drugs.

Sentence will be significantly less too.

Russian guy in Nong Plalai prison got 9 years, while an English guy with Ya Ice got 39. Bail for the Russian (which he didn't have), was 500,000, and the drugs (also didn't have), 3 million!

I do not believe that in either case there was remotely enough "evidence" to have secured a conviction in a developed country, with a proper Judicial system.

This is not England and the same rules do not apply.

Those are pretty cheap bail amounts relative to the alternative.  Gosh the 500 K baht is the cost of the 5 year Thai Elite visa and less than $30,000 USD.  I wouldn't tell the Thais how much I have access to and I wouldn't agree too quickly, got to make it look like it is doable but not easy so they won't just keep asking for more.  But I would drum up that money really fast

On ‎9‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 10:56 AM, champers said:

Police think he ordered the killing. It will be very interesting to see if there is any evidence to support this thought process. Whilst the 2 alleged perps are out of reach it would be rather difficult to get confirmation of this claim.

I wonder what the GF knows ?????????

18 hours ago, gemguy said:

You bet...works really well...just a matter of how much you can pay and pay the RIGHT person....lol

That is what the Thais know how to do better than we do .....as it is a Thai thing ...you know?

Cheers

My comment went right over your head, eh?

40 minutes ago, Factfinding said:

Nothing dark about the restaurant. Popular, good. At least he genuinely worked for his money,

Yes, but how did he obtain his money? A guy that is mixed up with boiler room scammers and makes use of hitmen has probably not earned his restaurant from bricklaying or plumbing.

Just now, AlexRich said:

Yes, but how did he obtain his money? A guy that is mixed up with boiler room scammers and makes use of hitmen has probably not earned his restaurant from bricklaying or plumbing.

His late mother left him good money. He used it well, bought property in Thailand + a restaurant. He was involved later in Boiling Room misery; that was a huge mistake. He was doing well without that income anyway.

1 hour ago, Factfinding said:

Nothing dark about the restaurant. Popular, good. At least he genuinely worked for his money,

Saw a new, white Rolls Royce Ghost with the ubiquitous red plates today on the Highway 7 feeder near the Crocodile farm.

It may not be dark over here but there's defo some shady characters out Pong way.

9 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Saw a new, white Rolls Royce Ghost with the ubiquitous red plates today on the Highway 7 feeder near the Crocodile farm.

It may not be dark over here but there's defo some shady characters out Pong way.

He will drive a simple white 525i with a lucky number e.g. 933

17 hours ago, Factfinding said:

Not correct; Toby NELHAMS KING. Very high IQ and not so stupid to walk into a 90 day trap.

But if he has such a high IQ why did he hire the worst 2 hit men this side of the 20th century?

And if he's in the clink in Cambodia he did walk into a 90 day trap.

6 hours ago, Factfinding said:

His late mother left him good money. He used it well, bought property in Thailand + a restaurant. He was involved later in Boiling Room misery; that was a huge mistake. He was doing well without that income anyway.

If he was involved in boiler room activity then he is shady!

6 hours ago, Factfinding said:

Looking at the FB profiles it looks like the greed took over.

:)

Police seem to have taken some effort to get this farang who is alleged to have ordered the death of another farang. Pity they can't do the same with some of their own nationals.

I suspect they (the police) have been influenced (wink wink)

On 09/02/2017 at 6:56 PM, gdgbb said:

Really?  The Aussie Hell's Angel would disagree with you about the sentencing!  So would the Thai couple who murdered the elderly Japanese boyfriend of the woman.

His case was unusual, I will grant you that.

Very uncommon to see that sort of sentence, though aspects of his case were quite brutal.

5-15 years is more common, while drug sentencing is off the charts.

And that was the point I was making.

In Nong Plalai you had a Russian doing 9 years for murder and an English guy doing 39 years for just over an ounce of Ya Ice.

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

His case was unusual, I will grant you that.

Very uncommon to see that sort of sentence, though aspects of his case were quite brutal.

5-15 years is more common, while drug sentencing is off the charts.

And that was the point I was making.

In Nong Plalai you had a Russian doing 9 years for murder and an English guy doing 39 years for just over an ounce of Ya Ice.

"Very uncommon to see that sort of sentence..."

But it's not, that's my point!

19 hours ago, gdgbb said:

"Very uncommon to see that sort of sentence..."

But it's not, that's my point!

There are several people in Nong Plalai for murder.

Biggest sentence I am aware of is 15 years.

You can get more than that for half an ounce of Ice.

What do you think is the worse crime?

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

There are several people in Nong Plalai for murder.

Biggest sentence I am aware of is 15 years.

You can get more than that for half an ounce of Ice.

What do you think is the worse crime?

My view about the seriousness of those crimes is irrelevant.  What is relevant is your claim that murder will carry a significantly lower penalty than a drug crime and that simply isn't always the case.

On 10/02/2017 at 9:21 PM, Factfinding said:

Nonsense, he has been involved in boiler rooms for many years, well before his mother died and she was involved in the business also.  Why are you trying to portray him as some paragon of virtue and how come you have suddenly popped up here as a new member overflowing with information about this Toby?

Archived