Thais condemned as "fifth worst" polluters of the sea on the planet

webfact

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

If the staff don't work the incinerator isn't operational. Care to do some footwork and google the incinerator for me? I gave articles and sources. 

Do a google search, you will find articles talking about the problems the staff have had operating the machine due to lack of training, it works, but they have problems.  Now, I have had enough of you looking for arguments about a waste incinerator of all things, it's really boring and I have no idea why you care which ones are working and which are out of order, it really couldn't be less interesting.

2 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

Sorry Thailand is the 5th largest country in regards to  ocean pollution try to keep up.

Actually it is now, it is 5th largest contributor of plastic waste in the sea, we went through this right near the beginning of the thread.

Just now, Shawn0000 said:

Do a google search, you will find articles talking about the problems the staff have had operating the machine due to lack of training, it works, but they have problems.  Now, I have had enough of you looking for arguments about a waste incinerator of all things, it's really boring and I have no idea why you care which ones are working and which are out of order, it really couldn't be less interesting.

In regards to the report does that matter? The gulf of Thailand is full of garbage and you seem to be in denial about that. There is verifiable, documented evidence but it falls on deaf ears you are an example to Thai people everywhere know better.

3 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

In regards to the report does that matter? The gulf of Thailand is full of garbage and you seem to be in denial about that. There is verifiable, documented evidence but it falls on deaf ears you are an example to Thai people everywhere know better.

No, you just misunderstand my posts and read into them more than is written.

10 hours ago, anotheruser said:

Please clarify, it seems you think that there are incinerators that are actually operational and the problem has been solved.

There ARE incinerators that are operational, I have seen that a I already told you, and you thinking that I seem to think the problem has been solved is a very good example of you reading more into what into my posts than is written, you should try to get a grip on that.

On 2/9/2017 at 11:27 AM, colinneil said:

They have no consideration what so ever for wildlife.

Or human life. Or anything.

#5 in the world for sea pollution

#5 in the world for murder rate

#2 in the world for road casualties

#4 in the world for alcohol consumption

#1 in the world for infidelity

The list goes on.

I'm not sure why they are all so proud of being Thai. When you start looking at stats, to be Thai should be quite shameful. They should be embarrassed. Perhaps one day they will pull it together and improve themselves, but they have to fix their abysmal education system first. It's going to take generations.

Amazing

the first environmental topic with that much replies

But not so much blame to all to the developing countries.

Most of the blame lays on the multi billion cooperation and the banks of the western world which just exploit all this countries and leave them hanging with they’re  problems.

How on earth can all this highly educated cooperation leaders agree to export all this goods (respectively the technology to manufacture it) which needs a prober disposal after use into the non developed world????? How they can look at this mess, seeing their products floating in the sea and making a severely threat to the ecosystem and at the end to man kind, by doing nothing???

How on earth can any western politician and leader agree all the regulations in their own country, (which most of them do make sense) making western labour unplayable and at the other hand agree that billions and billions worth of goods are imported from countries knowingly manufactured without any regulations. 

The answer is: "money and power" and nothing else!

To solve this garbage problem regulations must be enforced very strictly and law violator must be punished hard. Like in my country (Germany) whereby I do not say that the problem is solved in a sustainable way.

The reason for saying this is that there is a multi billion business manufacturing packaging which are used only once. There is another multi billion business - disposing, recycling and mainly incineration of all that garbage - mainly packaging materials. Billions and billions of money is made so no reason to change anything!! :whistling:

The consumer has the impression that everything is fine and everything is clean but it's not.

Unfortunately the trend is going towards even more packaging and more energy consumption in order to fulfil cooperation demand of centralisation and hygiene standards.

The only way to "improve" this situation is "decentralisation". I do not say it will solve the problem. But it will improve.

At the end of the chain there is the consumer which have it in his hands. Every individual should decide wisely whether buy  multiple packaged goods or not. Everybody should decide wisely whether to buy  goods which last for a decent time or some cheap crap which brake down after a couple of weeks. Every individual should decide wisely whether it must have this really now or can survive without e.g. a plastic cup of sugar water or a Hamburger served appetisingly in a ugly paper box. :bah:

I think the consumer has much more power like he think. When the consumer is aware of it's power and use it, it might be to late.

2 hours ago, Haecksler said:

Amazing

the first environmental topic with that much replies

But not so much blame to all to the developing countries.

Most of the blame lays on the multi billion cooperation and the banks of the western world which just exploit all this countries and leave them hanging with they’re  problems.

How on earth can all this highly educated cooperation leaders agree to export all this goods (respectively the technology to manufacture it) which needs a prober disposal after use into the non developed world????? How they can look at this mess, seeing their products floating in the sea and making a severely threat to the ecosystem and at the end to man kind, by doing nothing???

How on earth can any western politician and leader agree all the regulations in their own country, (which most of them do make sense) making western labour unplayable and at the other hand agree that billions and billions worth of goods are imported from countries knowingly manufactured without any regulations. 

The answer is: "money and power" and nothing else!

To solve this garbage problem regulations must be enforced very strictly and law violator must be punished hard. Like in my country (Germany) whereby I do not say that the problem is solved in a sustainable way.

The reason for saying this is that there is a multi billion business manufacturing packaging which are used only once. There is another multi billion business - disposing, recycling and mainly incineration of all that garbage - mainly packaging materials. Billions and billions of money is made so no reason to change anything!! :whistling:

The consumer has the impression that everything is fine and everything is clean but it's not.

Unfortunately the trend is going towards even more packaging and more energy consumption in order to fulfil cooperation demand of centralisation and hygiene standards.

The only way to "improve" this situation is "decentralisation". I do not say it will solve the problem. But it will improve.

At the end of the chain there is the consumer which have it in his hands. Every individual should decide wisely whether buy  multiple packaged goods or not. Everybody should decide wisely whether to buy  goods which last for a decent time or some cheap crap which brake down after a couple of weeks. Every individual should decide wisely whether it must have this really now or can survive without e.g. a plastic cup of sugar water or a Hamburger served appetisingly in a ugly paper box. :bah:

I think the consumer has much more power like he think. When the consumer is aware of it's power and use it, it might be to late.

This is where the UN could really do some good, just implement a world wide tax to pay for massive ships that spend all their time and effort cleaning our oceans of trash. Each country that implements its own internal cleaning efforts, and can show dramatic success, can be given credits toward their tax burden. This would do way more good than spending money on endless wars, and weapons of war.

2 minutes ago, ocddave said:

This is where the UN could really do some good, just implement a world wide tax to pay for massive ships that spend all their time and effort cleaning our oceans of trash. Each country that implements its own internal cleaning efforts, and can show dramatic success, can be given credits toward their tax burden. This would do way more good than spending money on endless wars, and weapons of war.

What to do with it after the boats collect it? Perhaps they could have incinerators on platforms or something or even ones that float? 

plastic bags caused one of the worst floods in Mumbai's history after they clogged the drainage system. While there, the market stopped providing these plastic bags and eventually they were banned. there was 3 meters of flood water outside my apartment there. A complete disaster...perhaps Thailand's "sanitation engineers" need to wake up nig noi.

All this floating garbage will probably be thrown in a convienient hole in the ground someplace.

Which of course will pollute the water table of the local in which the hole is sited

Needless to say that many communities rely heavily upon bore hole drawn water.

Poison your fellow Countryman, but do not let all this filth be shown in your oceans as Tourism may be effected.

Last time we went shopping at Big C, there where almost as many plastic bags as items we bought and they packed. We went shopping twice this week once at Morrisons and at Tesco (UK supermarkets) No free plastic bags 5p each if you need one, a bit annoying if you forget to bring your shopping bags but if it helps OK with me. What is not ok with me is Tesco now charging to use the car park after 30 mins (buy spending £5) and you now have to get a ticket at cash out and validate it on exit (in car park) or you get a fine by post. (Yes me to shocked when I saw it)

Now this might help cut the number of visits to Big C and Tesco Lotus and of course that will cut the use of plastic bags in Thailand.

Guess who will not be going back to a certain supermarket, just too much hassle running round getting parking tickets, checking how long you have been there, making sure you have spent enough and trying to find a validating machine, but idea for cutting the use of Plastic bags

Archived