How to get a change of visa if pattaya immigration don't give you one?

I would like to know what can be done if the Pattaya immigration officer will not change a tourist visa to a Category-O when you meet all requirements and more?   My brother has been turned down in a very rude way by the officer in Pattaya Immigration because she did not know the requirements. My brother produced all required Documents with more than enough money in 2 bank books with a letter from his bank. The lady told him that the money was not seeded long enough well that was not true they were in over 2 months and its not in the requirements anyway. So my brother now wants to use a pension letter from the UK embassy along with bank books and bank statements with a new bank letter. He will have to get a 30 extension to his Tourist visa as time will run out before he gets the letter from the UK embassy.  My question is if this officer again refuses to change the visa with no reason given and my brother goes above her head to her supervisor and he also refuses to change it with no reason given what else can he do?

regards

Scotsman 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, johng said:

Ok it would be easier just to go to Laos, I wonder why Jomtien refused to change from Tourist to Non-O of they are allowed to do it (I thought they had to send paperwork to BKK anyway)

There have been many reports of the section that accepts the application making it difficult to apply for the change. It seems they don't want to do them and make it difficult.

2 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

think that you should find the list of requirements for obtaining an extension of one year. I thiink that a criminal record check is required and that can only be obtained from your country of residence, so if you can't show that you may still be refused.

To apply for an extension based upon retirement at immigration there is no requirement for a criminal back ground check. That is only needed to a apply for a OA visa at a embassy or consulate in your home country.

Have a look at clause 2.22 of  Police Order 327/2557  basis for extension of stay.

Thank you all for your reply's I do know about going to Laos to get it that would be the last resort. Would a visa office not be able to prize this out of this lady's office for a fee? How far up the chain of command can you go to make a complaint or is that unwise? It is very frustrating to be stopped from doing your retirement by one lady officer that is to big for her Job that does not do her Job.

Regards

Scotsman 

• Like 1

To apply for an extension based upon retirement at immigration there is no requirement for a criminal back ground check. That is only needed to a apply for a OA visa at a embassy or consulate in your home country.
Have a look at clause 2.22 of  Police Order 327/2557  basis for extension of stay.

Fair enough, I haven't read it all but I don't think that it mentions how to get the Required visa in country.
You are calling it a Police order but the heading on the translation says that it is Immigration, so did Immigration issue a copy under their office heading?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

4 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

Fair enough, I haven't read it all but I don't think that it mentions how to get the Required visa in country.
You are calling it a Police order but the heading on the translation says that it is Immigration, so did Immigration issue a copy under their office heading?

That order is only for extensions of stay not non immigrant visa applications. That is a different procedure although the requirements are the same as applying for the extension other than that the money only needs to be in the bank on the date of application instead of 60 days. If you are using IE or a compatible browser you find the change to a visa requirement here. http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php?page=service

Police order is the name used when the file was created and means nothing.If you want the original in Thai it is here: Police Order 327/2557  Thai text.

I am not under the impression that its a entitlement as we know its up to the officer, but if its stated in the police order with all the requirements then what reason can be given for refusal using the wrong rules as the money does not have to be seeded. So if the lady officer wants to do her job properly she should give my brother the change of visa when he goes back with the pension letter from The UK embassy as the money in his bank accounts don't apply.  If not what reason can she give?

regards

Scotsman 

I can't find that in the police order quoted here. The order says that you must have, what is translated as, a 'non imm.' visa. I may be wrong and would be absolutely delighted if it were true because it concerns me now, but I am not taking that chance until I see it in writing.

My feeling is that to change your visa status after the fact, is unlikely to be in the gift of any IO to whom we have access which maybe the reason that the one you saw does "not do her job".
Incidentally If it was a procedure it would not be "up to the officer". The only thing "up to them" is to mess you around if they don't like you, and even then they could get into trouble if their superior thought them being unfair.

I can't find that in the police order quoted here. The order says that you must have, what is translated as, a 'non imm.' visa. I may be wrong and would be absolutely delighted if it were true because it concerns me now, but I am not taking that chance until I see it in writing.

My feeling is that to change your visa status after the fact, is unlikely to be in the gift of any IO to whom we have access which maybe the reason that the one you saw does "not do her job".
Incidentally If it was a procedure it would not be "up to the officer". The only thing "up to them" is to mess you around if they don't like you, and even then they could get into trouble if their superior thought them being unfair.

"Pattaya immigration officer will not change a tourist visa to a Category-O when you meet all requirements and more?   My brother has been turned down in a very rude way by the officer in Pattaya Immigration . " 

Maybe I missed some part but you can not change a tourist visa to a O visa in any Immigration . A visa will be issued by an Thai Embassy or Consulate . Your brother hasn't ask for an extension of his old visa right ? That means the IO been right to refuse the visa , it's not an excuse for being rude.

Edited by bushmill

14 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

My last word, "hooray" , is that I shall be getting a non-imm visa from London issued on the basis of section 35 para 3, status (15), of the Immigration Act unless I find an easier way in the meantime.

Section 35 is for getting extensions not visas.

2 minutes ago, bushmill said:

"Pattaya immigration officer will not change a tourist visa to a Category-O when you meet all requirements and more?   My brother has been turned down in a very rude way by the officer in Pattaya Immigration . "  Maybe I missed some part but you can not change a tourist visa to a O visa in any Immigration . A visa will be issued by an Thai Embassy or Consulate . Your brother hasn't ask for an extension of his old visa right ? That means the IO been right to refuse the visa , it's not an excuse for being rude.

You are wrong.Some Immigration offices can issue a non immigrant visa based upon qualifying for some type of extension. It has been possible for many years.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You are wrong.Some Immigration offices can issue a non immigrant visa based upon qualifying for some type of extension. It has been possible for many years.

Thanks for the information I didn't know just checked it at the mfa-page and copied :         3.3 Foreign citizens who hold a Transit Visa (“TS”) or Tourist Visa
(“TR”) and wish to engage in business activities in Thailand may apply for a change of type of visa (e.g., from Tourist Visa to Non-Immigrant Visa) at the Office of the Immigration Bureau Office located at Government Center B, Chaengwattana Soi 7, Laksi, Bangkok 10210, Tel 0-2141-9889, www.immigration.go.th.  The granting of change of type of visa and extension of stay is at the discretion of the immigration officer.

17 hours ago, scotsman said:

Thank you all for your reply's I do know about going to Laos to get it that would be the last resort. Would a visa office not be able to prize this out of this lady's office for a fee? How far up the chain of command can you go to make a complaint or is that unwise? It is very frustrating to be stopped from doing your retirement by one lady officer that is to big for her Job that does not do her Job.

Regards

Scotsman 

You could also employ a Visa agency to get this for you, some cost involved but once it is achieved you should be good to go.

I get a sense of some lady making things a little difficult of late in Jomtiem... a place that worked so efficiently!

a tourist visa is not a non o immigration visa.

what they probably want is a non o visa to extend by reason of marriage to a thai

that is the official way, they are just following the rules.

to beauracrats  everything goes by the rules, both here in Thailand and also in the u.s. or the u.k.

that's there mindset.

take your wife on a short trip to vientianne or savannakhet  and get that 90 day non o visa.

then they will give you the marriage extension for having a thai spouse which is what it really is.

remember that british series, yes minister, some minds won't think outside of the approved box.

It is interesting to me that members will continue to muddle about with the visa requirements and terminology are even after UJ has cleared it up in his usual fashion. Did you see post 21? Way back along time ago I successfully converted my status in country from tourist to non-o based on retirement. Was it a visa? Was it an extension of stay? I don't know but here I am 10 years later with renewals every year.

• Like 2

This is a change of visa from tourist to Category-O for my brother who is retiring to Thailand and meets all the requirements being held up by a immigration officer at pattaya immigration.  I am just trying to find out how to get it and were as a lot of people come her over 50 -60 to retire and must also get a category-O visa before they apply for extension.   He is going to go back to this woman with everything and more in the requirements, with pension letter from the UK embassy + bank statements + bank books + letter from bank all updated on the day of application in the hope this lady can not find anything else to turn him down. If this happens and also her boss does the same he will try a visa Agent. If that does not work then its off to Laos.  I thank you all for your reply's I will update this thread later to let you know what happens.

regards

Scotsman

Edited by scotsman

As posted above tell your brother to stop being so obdurate and start with a Non-Immi O Visa as the original gazetted Police Order requires.

He wont win this particular battle!

Not all Immi offices or Immi officers want to do the conversion from other than a Non-Immi O visa.

Also advise him to not to "shout the odds"!

Edited by Evilbaz